1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Obenaufs LP

1 person likes this.
  2. drbones

drbones Member

I'm looking for some shoe trees in Australia and it seems like a lot of them are just rebranded versions of a generic product. According to RM Williams my 10.5G craftsman boots are a 45.5 euro sizing. Should I be buying a 46/47 tree like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-of-...922758?hash=item2ee71cd7c6:g:p-IAAOSwhcJWGEqe

or go for something similar but in a 44/45? I don't want to stretch the boots out of their current width.

3. davidle24

davidle24 Member

Hey. I wear 8G comfort craftsman and bought the M size from here. Took a risk with getting them in to Australia though.

4. nubirth

nubirth Well-Known Member

Excellent thread.

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Thanks. I assume that you've used it and had success? Does it matter if I put the product on when the shoes are new?

6. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I have used it many times. Apply it when you want your boots to be water resistant-proof. Be sure to wipe off any excess and then after a few days hit with polish if you want some shine, otherwise burnish with a brush

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. drbones

drbones Member

Just got my MTO chestnut craftsmans in the mail. The leather is very nice but not sure how they will stand up to my black craftsmans with dynamic flex sole for office wear. The leather sole makes it feel like I'm skating on carpet!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  8. drdan

drdan New Member

Does anybody happen to have any of the previous RMW catalogs saved as PDFs that they could share with me?

9. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

You could score the leather sole with a knife or key.

Alternatively, look at getting some Topys (a thin rubber sole) applied. Cheap and easy to apply and replace once worn through.

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Scoring works well for leather soles

11. davidle24

davidle24 Member

Are there any leather soles that you wouldn't topy or score? Eg C&J handgrade.

12. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

The scoring tip I picked up from the the military way back when, but I don't personally like to do it preferring the Topy's for their increased grip and lower cost of replacement compared to a new sole.

I'd be happy to Topy any of my shoes and boots, but I don't really have anything fancy by way of leather on the soles.

1 person likes this.
  13. n2pua

n2pua Senior member

trying to make my first comfort craftsman purchase, however ......

can someone please clarify the pricing differences i'm noticing:

RM Williams website:

$450 AUD (roughly $325 US)

Bootsonline:

Australian: AUD $$423.50
    Export: AUD $ 385.00
    USD $275.24

Has bootsonline simply not raised prices ?

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I would not topy any beautiful nailed/screwed soles, like these Buday's. I would keep those like that, bc I have other Dainite and Commando soled shoes I wear in bad weather. but when it came time to resole...I'd likely go with Dainite

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

When I worked for RM (almost 20 years ago now...wow!) we were told shoe trees shouldn't be used with the boots. Don't remember if we were given a reason why but I've never used them and I still have a pair from back then that are in great condition.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  16. DarkKnight108

DarkKnight108 New Member

How are you supposed to delete a post on here? This is stupid.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  17. davidle24

davidle24 Member

Oh really? I have two pairs, Comfort and Dynamic Flex. I have shoe trees in them both. I do know someone with pairs that are 10 and 15 years old, never had shoe trees in them and they look great.

18. davidle24

davidle24 Member

So you would topy these? I guess there is the argument that if you are spending that much, then you can afford to buy a new pair or resole them??

19. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

It's not really a matter of how expensive the shoes are. I have shoes more expensive than those vs a Dainite sole BC that works for those boots. My most formal cap toe Oxfords I've least untopied. . and those were relatively cheap

1 person likes this.
  20. leon12

leon12 Senior member

Has anyone had contact with Nungar lately? I ordered a pair of craftsman at the end of January, got the preliminary confirmation and haven't heard anything since. I tried emailing Steve and the admin address with no response.