• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

click here

Reaction score
Can't be bothered to read the entire thread...

Just wondering what shoe tree do you guys use for your RMW boots? Would a standard wooden shoe tree be alright to use with chelsea boots?

DJackson

Reaction score

Would be awesome with a storm welt too if RM would do it. I'll be thinking about that for next winter!

I bet they would. Just have to find the right RM dealer. I always rotate between Stable Door, Nungar, Aussie Bush Hats, etc. because they all tell me different customizations can be done to different RM boots. These Riggers, as a case in point, could not be done in Yearling via one of the dealers yet here they are on my feet. Same situation in the past with a tan Calf Leather Macquarie with a screwed Chestnut colored sole. Just had to find the right dealer.

milw50717

Reaction score

Just wondering what shoe tree do you guys use for your RMW boots? Would a standard wooden shoe tree be alright to use with chelsea boots?

Try using the 'search this thread' functionality.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

None as I am lazy, but if I bought some I'd go the Woodlore boot trees.

I could be wrong, but I think RMWs used to sell them under their name a few years back.

DJackson

Reaction score
So I'll drone on about my own post:
I'm still in the novelty phase of owning my new boots and I noticed a few differences from the "standard" vesta leather vs the yearling I chose. I'll borrow a couple photos from earlier in this thread (thanks to & courtesy of kerodean )

The first thing I noticed when I got the yearling version is my boots are lined, while the vesta leather appears much thicker and is not lined, leaving a nice nappy finish to the inside of the boot. The yearling leather also obviously appears smoother than the vesta. In case you were wondering about more than appearances I was reading the vesta leather is somewhat weather proof which is admittedly generally more appropriate for a boot like this than yearling is. I on the other hand am hoping to get a nice patina on the yearling while the rubber sole still leaves me more or less comfortable in wet weather.

Second thing I noticed is the chestnut colored yearling has a matching chestnut colored sole and welt stitching. The finish is pretty impressive actually; I thought it was a leather sole until I turned the boot over. Vesta on the other hand looks to have a lighter natural colored sole with off-white stitching.

Finally, I presume this boot can be ordered in all sorts of leathers and their corresponding colors. I know for a fact that I could have ordered these in Calf leather but it seems too delicate to make sense with a rubber sole. The recently posted camel leather with a storm welt seems like a really cool version of this boot. I bet I could get a rigger with a leather sole too. Screwed sole would make an interesting boot. Someone order a custom rigger so I don't end up collecting a bunch of customized riggers.

P.S. Although the yearling leather seems to have cleaned these boots up nicely vs the Vesta, I'll have to report back once these are broken in (ugli-fy'd) because my boots never look the same after the 1st wear. The transformation my Stockman's went through was amazing :satisfied:.

Riggers were shown here before. I just got a pair in yearling. Pretty cool boots.
'scuse the iPhone pictures.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'll drone on about my own post:
I'm still in the novelty phase of owning my new boots and I noticed a few differences from the "standard" vesta leather vs the yearling I chose. I'll borrow a couple photos from earlier in this thread (thanks to & courtesy of kerodean )

The first thing I noticed when I got the yearling version is my boots are lined, while the vesta leather appears much thicker and is not lined, leaving a nice nappy finish to the inside of the boot. The yearling leather also obviously appears smoother than the vesta. In case you were wondering about more than appearances I was reading the vesta leather is somewhat weather proof which is admittedly generally more appropriate for a boot like this than yearling is. I on the other hand am hoping to get a nice patina on the yearling while the rubber sole still leaves me more or less comfortable in wet weather.

Second thing I noticed is the chestnut colored yearling has a matching chestnut colored sole and welt stitching. The finish is pretty impressive actually; I thought it was a leather sole until I turned the boot over. Vesta on the other hand looks to have a lighter natural colored sole with off-white stitching.

Finally, I presume this boot can be ordered in all sorts of leathers and their corresponding colors. I know for a fact that I could have ordered these in Calf leather but it seems too delicate to make sense with a rubber sole. The recently posted camel leather with a storm welt seems like a really cool version of this boot. I bet I could get a rigger with a leather sole too. Screwed sole would make an interesting boot. Someone order a custom rigger so I don't end up collecting a bunch of customized riggers.

P.S. Although the yearling leather seems to have cleaned these boots up nicely vs the Vesta, I'll have to report back once these are broken in (ugli-fy'd) because my boots never look the same after the 1st wear. The transformation my Stockman's went through was amazing :satisfied:.
A couple of points -

Vesta and camel are unlined so have a suede interior as opposed to smooth yearling lining like your yearling boots. All due to the thickness of the vesta and camel leathers, as you rightly point out. Also, you can specify the colour of the sole; the factory guys probably just thought the chestnut looked better than the bone with your leather choice.

I also think a pair of riggers in camel would be a great boot! Camel is a tough leather, and I can tell you having worn mine through the wettest winter here in years that it's also very water resistant. I agree the rigger style is probably too casual for French calf.

They apply the same sole/edge dressing on the rubber and leather soles at the factory, hence they look identical out of the box. Some of the dressing wears off the rubber soles though with wear, which is no big deal but just FYI.

Interesting to hear about different dealers saying different things; it's possible the factory gives different answers, given MTOs make up such a small portion of their work, they may think anything too radical just isn't worth the bother. I think this is changing though, as RM seem to be a bit more open to experimentation lately.

DJackson

Reaction score
Right, I didn't even think to mention which color to use for the sole. I like the way it turned out though. If I ordered the slightly lighter than chestnut, dark tan, I probably would like the bone colored sole. And oh well, I should have, could have, would have... camel leather next time.

Another tidbit: I was told a couple months back that there would be delays in ordering anything MTO in calf because RM was amidst finding a new supplier for calf leather. I asked why and was told that the current supplier was not meeting their quality standards. Read into this what you like. I imagine this sort of thing happens somewhat periodically while remaining transparent to us consumers. I also wonder what changes will happen now that RM is owned by LVMH. Half the reason I bought my Riggers was to hedge against any unwanted changes.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah IIRC RMW switched to French veal calf out of necessity following the big drought we had here several years ago. That made top quality calf leather hard to find here as the number of head of cattle dropped significantly as the water dried up. Fewer and smaller herds meant meat (and leather) were more expensive and local supply of high end leather became unreliable. The regular yearling was still sourced locally though I believe.

Could be RM are thinking of switching back to a local veal calf supplier now the drought conditions have improved in much of the country.

thomasdlux

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone here for their contributions, this thread is an exceptional resource.

I'm in the middle of a major wardrobe change; a simplification of my personal style. It is, basically, a move to a work wardrobe of mainly bespoke trousers and shirts, very few ties and quality shoes, plus a blazer or two. I've finally progressed to a point in my career where I can set the agenda clothes-wise, and at heart I crave quality and simplicity in my clothing.

Over the last week I've picked up three pairs of comfort craftsman; black and chestnut yearling for work, distressed leather in silt for play. My various overwrought Loake and AE styles have been given to close friends.

Thank you for the help in making this happen. Next stop, IWC Big Pilot...

cmd06

Reaction score

Just wanted to thank everyone here for their contributions, this thread is an exceptional resource.

I'm in the middle of a major wardrobe change; a simplification of my personal style. It is, basically, a move to a work wardrobe of mainly bespoke trousers and shirts, very few ties and quality shoes, plus a blazer or two. I've finally progressed to a point in my career where I can set the agenda clothes-wise, and at heart I crave quality and simplicity in my clothing.

Over the last week I've picked up three pairs of comfort craftsman; black and chestnut yearling for work, distressed leather in silt for play. My various overwrought Loake and AE styles have been given to close friends.

Thank you for the help in making this happen. Next stop, IWC Big Pilot...

I don't think I've seen any members talk about the Silt color. Please post pics of your boots! Given how RM Williams doesn't provide pictures of every boot in every color and leather like Allen Edmonds, this thread is an alternative source of great info.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seeing as there are 215-odd pages to this thread - too many to go through - has anyone posted pics of their well-loved, hacked-up old RMs? I have been wearing the same pair for close on 15 years now. (OK, occasionally I do take them off.) Had them re-soled once, by an official RMW repairer in Albury. This was before I knew about Goodyear welting, and when the boots were returned to me looking well-nigh brand new, I simply couldn't figure out how he had done the re-sole. They were subjected to major trauma when I hiked off the Schilthorn in Switzerland about seven years ago. (I also got the worst sunburn of my life that day.) The leather has roughened, cracked and actually split in a couple of places now, but with a lick of RMW chestnut polish and then a finish with Oakwood leather conditioner, they still come up looking vaguely wearable every time. I just can't bear to throw them out. The most comfortable footwear I have ever owned, and dollar-for-day-worn, the best value too.
That's what we like to see. Good work. Here's some I prepared earlier.
rmw.jpg
^ What kind are these? They look like Craftman's with rubber soles?
Can't be bothered to read the entire thread... Just wondering what shoe tree do you guys use for your RMW boots? Would a standard wooden shoe tree be alright to use with chelsea boots?
+ I just use a regular shoe tree and it's fine.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomasdlux - Nice, those silt craftsmen boots that you say inspired your recent order were mine. I regretfully had to sell them because they were too snug, but your post reminds me how much I loved that leather. Would love to see pics of the silt leather on your new boots when you receive them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads