1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior member

All rounder is made of a less dressy leather, an oil kip leather, that could be the reason for the price difference. The soles are identical on the comfort models I believe, and I think the consensus is that the comfort sole is more comfortable than the DFC sole. I can't vouch for the comfort of different models, but I have the comfort craftsman and recently I went to a festival where I stood up all day, dancing and all and my feet didn't ache at the end of the day. It really raised the bar for me in terms of what I expect from footwear now.

2. wxxnxs

wxxnxs Active Member

I will try to answer some of your questions here:

A. 9.5 & 10, the only difference is the length, as both of them are G fittings, so width is not changed. If you feel 10 is more comfortable, then go for it, it's very common that people have slightly difference between their feet. However, you should always go for the larger one.

B. They should be the same, but they are all hand made boots, don't expect all of them have exactly the same feeling, as they are not built by machine.

C. Please apply to answer B.

D. The most comfortable should be comfort sole, but I recently picked up two pairs of leather sole, and found out they have improved its making and they are quite OK (not as hard as before), and I personally prefer leather sole because it's one of the most classic design they have. DFC has its inner sole inside, and can be removed, but I found DFC is quite heavy, not all of people like it such as me.

E. Should be identical but double check with RMW, you can leave a question on their facebook page.

F. The only difference between them which I can tell is the toe shape, Comfort Craftsmen looks more dressy.

G. I think because of its popularity.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. zarkov

zarkov Well-Known Member

How big is the difference between G and H widths in reality?

I recently tried on a pair of Craftsman boots and sz 8.5 was too narrow in the toe box while sz 9 was too long. I'm not sure if I should go for 8.5 G and hope they stretch slightly or 8.5 H which I can't try on locally.

4. redboat

redboat Senior member

Thanks so much for your help! Barry of http://bootsonline.com.au/ also replied to these questions via email; here are his comments:

All boots will stretch over time if there is pressure on the leather. That's how cows can get fat.

I strongly believe that the boots should be comfortable right from the beginning.

All those B543 Craftsman models are made on the same lasts and the fittings are identical.

The Henley has a wide front (H width) and a narrower heel (G width). Very good boot but much broader in fit and appearance

Personally I prefer the Comfort Sole and Insole although many will swear that the Dynamic Flex is the most comfortable.

Soles are identical on the Comfort Craftsman and Comfort Allrounder. The difference is the leather the boot is made from. Oiled leather is far less expensive that dressier Yearling leather.

Lining boots is primarily to add body to the leather. The oiled leather is the Comfort Allrounder is heavier and does not require additional support. Comfort level is the same.

Hope this helped

5. corgi invasion

corgi invasion Member

I was going to get some polish for my Chestnut and Whisky RMs, I usually use the RMW polish, but can't get hold of it easily here in Germany.
    So far I was looking at Saphir, for those who use this, would the following be a good approximation? whisky = '03 light brown' and chestnut = '05 dark brown'.
    Are there any other good alternatives?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  6. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

True, but cows leather is live and has cell growth! Honestly, of course some things stretch but don't ever hope it will stretch in the right places to your size, and help relieve pain or pressure points, it rarely does IMHO

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  7. Bullitt

Bullitt Senior member

I have had a pair of Comfort Craftman boots for about five years. After a lot of wear, the rubber sole is getting a bit thin and I am thinking about having them resoled. The RM Williams store in New Bond Street would charge 150 pounds for having them resoled at the RMW factory. This is quite expensive. For a few pounds more, I could get a new pair, when I buy in Australia.

I will buy a new pair in a different colour anyway. Nevertheless I would like to continue wearing my old pair. Does any forum member know a good place in London or the South that repairs RM Williams?

I found out that Timpson offers „branded Footwear repairs“ for RM Williams.
    http://www.timpson.co.uk/services/63/shoe-repairs
    Has anybody here tried this before?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  8. redboat

redboat Senior member

Can anyone compare the Lachlan (B543V) to the Comfort Allrounder (B543LN) in terms of comfort?

Lachlan http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b578.htm
    Comfort Allrounder http://www.bootsonline.com.au/B543LN.htm

I'm looking for a casual boot, and for this purpose prefer the look of the Lachlan for its thicker sole. But the Lachlan lacks the soft "Poron insole" used on the Comfort Allrounder, so I am concerned it may be less pleasant to wear. On the other hand, the thick outer rubber sole of the Lachlan may provide significant cushioning that keeps it comfortable.

Does anyone have direct experience with the two?

9. SJYSNYC

SJYSNYC Member

Hoping to get some help from the thread thinking through colors.

I've got a pair of dark tan craftsman boots that I love. These have darkened over time since I got them and are a relatively dark brown at this point.

So, with the Aussie dollar where it is, was thinking of adding a couple pairs. Specifically I'd like to get another in yearling and one in kangaroo. I had been thinking of getting the yearling in cognac and the kangaroo in tan bark. But apparently the cognac was a special leather and, alas, there is no more. That leaves me a little bit at a loss. I would lean toward the whiskey in the yearling, but from some pictures upthread I'm worried it's too close to the tan bark.

So wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what colors would give the best set of three boots. Wear for work but a fairly casual work -- mostly dark jeans. Suits occasionally but have plenty of appropriate shoes for when I need formal and the dark tan can also serve so that's not a priority (not black in other words). Any likelihood that another interesting limited color coming soon? Or among the various MTO options?

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. redboat

redboat Senior member

Barry from bootsonline.com.au answered my question as follows:

"The Lachlan sole is thick and tough but not so flexible with a flat leather insole just like the Craftsman.

The Comfort insole is just that. Comfortable and cushioned."

From experience I know the Craftsmen flat leather insole is pretty hard and stiff. So based on Barry's comments, it sounds like the Lachlan is significantly less comfortable than the Comfort Allrounder and Comfort Craftsmen, both of which have the same forgiving rubber outsole and cushioned insole.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  12. Dave 11

Dave 11 Member

My first pair of RMW were the dynamic flex craftsman and they are by far the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn! I wear them every other day and I absolutely love 'em

1 person likes this.
  13. Dave 11

Dave 11 Member

[​IMG]here is a pic of my chestnut dynaflex craftsman and kangaroo craftsman black
    Hope this helps

14. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Is there a website somewhere that has good pics of rmwilliams boots? I'm thinking about getting another pair or two (from bootsonline) but rmwilliams and bootsonline pics are terrible.

15. Dave 11

Dave 11 Member

If you look through this thread you should be able to find some pretty good pics of both new and worn versions of most of the varieties on offer

16. davidle24

davidle24 Member

Check out instagram hashtags

17. SJYSNYC

SJYSNYC Member

@Prince of Paisley -- thanks for the thoughts. The problem with that link is that picture is (one of the) one that made me want the cognac! I like the fairly subtle reddish/orange hints in it, which most don't seem to have. Indeed, the lack is what holds me back a bit on the rum. The chestnut I've see (at the since closed 59th store in NY) were all pretty brown. If I felt confident I could get some of the redder versions I've seen here I'd be all over it, but it sounds as if it's going to be hit or miss. Suede is appealing in theory, but I just got a new pair of AE Gobis in suede. Does anyone have any thoughts on the red (color 01)? That is, how red are they? Any examples? As much as anything I'm looking for help thinking about what the right portfolio of colors is?

18. corgi invasion

corgi invasion Member

I don't know about the red or cognac colors, but I've seen the rum in person, and it is quite chocolate looking, less reddish than the chestnut. What impressed me about them was the soft feel of the leather in comparison to the chestnut. I'm pretty sure it was still the same yearling leather, not the calf.

19. albertotoole

albertotoole Member

Just about to pull the trigger on my second pair of rm's, already got craftsman in brown Suede.

I'm looking at the comfort allrounder (b543L) but I'm slightly worried as to what they'll wear like, has anyone got any pics of theirs with a few months/years wear in them?

Thanks

20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I can't seem to access the latest catalogue to see what's available, but IIRC you could get "whisky" as a standard MTO option, which was a similar reddy/orangey colour. Not sure what shade your suede AEs are, but RMW's mid brown suede might be an option as well - basically a snuff suede?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015