1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. davidle24

davidle24 Member

Hi Mikeee,

I wore my blue Carhartt SId Pant to try on the Comfort Craftsman. Both black and chestnut look great. Trying to justify getting both...

2. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

I think a brown or chestnut would be better, more versatile as I can wear one with jeans or chinos. Just not sure how I feel about the side ribbing showing on craftsman with a suit.

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I wear Whisky Craftsmans with my mid grey suits. Wouldn't do blue or charcoal, though. The Chestnut is dark enough to wear with those and the side gores don't stand out.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  4. dammit

dammit Active Member

Got my first pair of RM Williams boots now, so happy with them (Thanks wxxnxs, on the forum here, who ordered them with his corporate discount for 30% off the RRP) :D

Quick question for you all, this is my first pair of boots, I normally wore shoes to work..with most of my work pants/suit pants, they are quite slim in the legs, esp at the end of them right before the boot, so what I noticed happening a bit is when I sit down or go up stairs etc (and the legs in my pants rise), my pants sort of ride up and then get stuck at the top of the boots on the little tabs you normally pull to get the boot on.

Has anyone else had that issue? I can fix it up as it happens but it would look a bit silly with me walking around with 1 leg of my pants bunched up and caught on the top of my boot..lol. I thought maybe I need to buy some pants with a wider opening at the bottom of the leg, or with more weight in it so as I walk the pant always drops beyond the little tabs to sit where it should?

Interested to see if anyone else has had this issue.

5. dan1255

dan1255 Member

Hi all,

As a means of an introduction, I thought I'd post a pic of the RMW 'family' as it is at present.

From left to right, Black Signature Craftsman, Dark Tan Signature Craftsman, Cognac Comfort Craftsman, Rum Comfort Craftsman, Black Comfort Craftsman.

The Signature and Cognac boots are all French Veal (Calf) leather & the Rum & Black CC's are Yearling.

The Signature's are exclusively for work (Suit in a Sydney CBD office environment) & the Comfort Craftsman boots are for casual wear with jeans.

Have had a bunch of these boots & as you can probably see, love them!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    13 people like this.
  6. dan1255

dan1255 Member

Hi dammit,
    I'd say 'don't stress' too much. If your boots are new, the tags are in all likelihood still a little stiff. They, like the leather will soften up a considerable amount with wear & you shouldn't have this issue for too long. The pants will fold right back over them in normal conditions.

7. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Wow, I remember ploughing through this thread a few years ago (I never got the boots in the end). It's still going on? :D

8. wxxnxs

wxxnxs Active Member

I agree with "dan1255"-the pants will fold right back over them in normal conditions. There is no need to get extra pants just because some teething issues.

BTW, how is your boots, do they feel comfortable when you walk?

9. Brock Zeigler

Brock Zeigler Active Member

10. LordPave

LordPave Member

Nice selection. I've bought the Kangaroo Craftsman (see my previous posts) in Chestnut for wearing with a suit. I just ordered a Black Kangaroo Comfort Craftsman for use with jeans.

How do you find the signatures?

I need to contact RM Williams about the Signatures, since I buy the Kangaroos due to their slightly wider fit which I need for my orthotics. I'd love to get some Signatures, but I'll let them tell me what I can and cant do on that front.

At the rate I'm going, I'll be like you with a selection of RM Williams boots - I have plans to get another 3 sets of boots. Wore my current ones for the first time on Monday this week, and I was instantly in love. They feel so damn comfortable.

11. dan1255

dan1255 Member

Thanks!

How do I find the Signature boots?
    Well..........
    There's no simple way to put it, they are a cut above in every way from the 'standard' boots. Let me explain.......

The 'cut' of the boot is more streamlined from the ankle through to the toe. This means that the fit, on my feet at least, is much nicer than the CC boots that I own. The toe being a lower profile also looks significantly more refined - particularly when worn with suits.

Naturally, the French Calf leather also has a much more refined grain to it & is softer (probably adding to the better fit sensation).

They are mentally priced though at $630, so are the differences really worth it?
    For some, yes, for others, no way on Earth.
    You'll have to make up your own mind. For what it's worth, I was so impressed that I bought two pairs.....

I'm surprised though that you bought the Kangaroo leather boots for wearing with a suit.
    Pretty much every pair that I've ever seen have quite a grainy texture and seem to crease quite a lot with a bit of wear.
    I actually love the look, but always thought of it as a much more casual looking leather.

At the end of the day, I say bugger what anyone else thinks if you are happy!! Wear them well - they were designed that way!!

12. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

Anyone have experience with the elastic (gore?) rubbing /pushing slightly towards( almost underneath) the instep when walking. Is this normal and will break in?

13. dan1255

dan1255 Member

Can't say that I have ever had that experience AND I've owned quite a few pairs.

If it is rubbing and causing discomfort, just take them into one of the stores & they'll be very happy to investigate for you. It may be a shabby stitching job that they'd replace for you. Or it could be a fit issue which I'm sure they work out for you.

Good luck!

14. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

Thanks Dan, just checked again and it's not actually the gore, sorry. It seems to be below that where the leather is stitched in running from the sole vertically up to the gore. I hope that should wear in as other than that they are super comfortable.

15. LordPave

LordPave Member

I don't really have a choice - I have wide feet, so the kangaroo is both more durable and has a little more width in it than the others. At least, that's what the RM Williams store in Chadstone (MEL) told me.

I'd have preferred to buy the Signatures, but that will likely involve a trip to Adelaide to confer with the folks at the main store there to ensure everything is good. That said, I haven't noticed any grainy sort of look to the Kangaroos, but it does feel like it will crease quickly. Still, it feels so damn good to wear.

Either way, we'll see what happens - I don't mind the expense for the shoes. At 195cm, I'm forever having to buy more expensive options for clothing (though, I'm now trying some of the cheap-ish made to measure type places like Bespoked etc.).

16. dan1255

dan1255 Member

Hi Webbo, either way, if it's affecting your overall comfort, I'd recommend popping in to a store to have a chat. I've found their staff to uphold the highest standards of customer service, a thing which is otherwise severely lacking in Australian retail.
    For the record, I am in no way associated with RMW. I just love well made leather gear which is built right & should last many years.

17. dan1255

dan1255 Member

Hi again, I've just noticed that 'popping in to a store' probably isn't an option for you, considering that you're in Slovakia.

[​IMG]

If it's leather related,, it'll probably wear in. A liberal use of leather conditioner will always assist to 'soften' the annoying piece.

Again, good luck!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  18. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Has anyone in the US successfully had the gores replaced on RMW chelseas, mine have stretched significantly (they are quite old and much loved). If so, would you mind sharing who did the work for you?

19. davidle24

davidle24 Member

Here's my first pair. Dynamic Flex Craftsman. I am still thinking of getting a chestnut pair...[​IMG]

Do you guys suggest using RMW care stuff? Or is there something else I should buy?

[​IMG]

20. dan1255

dan1255 Member

Nice boots! You'll love them.

RMW's stuff is fine, just use sparingly & no more often than once every couple of months. I learnt the hard way & used much more frequently than this & it lead to the leather 'relaxing' far too much and the boots actually became a baggy fit believe it or not!

I have since swapped to using this product;
    http://www.collonil.com/en/1909-leather-cream.html

You should be able to pick it up from pretty much any cobbler. I'm fairly certain that it's a far superior product to the RMW stuff.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014