1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

For those with a CC who have wide(ish) feet is the consensus that a G in Kangaroo is recommended over an H in calf due to the extra stretching of the Kangaroo. I take a loake 10 - 10.5 G fitting in 026 and Capital lasts. Thanks.

2. Markwilo13

Markwilo13 Member

Hi All

I have recently gotten into buying decent handmade Goodyear welt shoes and wish I had started sooner. I am very interested in getting some RM Williams or Henry Baxter Chelsea boots. RM Williams boots in the Uk are around £300, which is a bit more than I was planning to spend. I can get them online from Australia for $355 with postage. This works out at around £200 GBP. Whats your experiences regarding having to pay customs/tax when buying from Australia?

3. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

I bought mine from a shop in Australia, and it was pretty easy. I ordered the makeup I wanted over the phone, and then 5 weeks later they arrived at my door.

4. dammit

dammit Active Member

Hi everyone

This thread has been a wealth of information to me as I am trying to work out the best RM Williams boots to buy.

I want to wear them with a suit, in corporate environment in Sydney which I see a lot of people already do.

Can someone tell me, is the difference between the Craftsman, and the Comfort Craftsman, simply exactly the same, with the only difference that the Craftsman has a leather sole, but the Comfort Craftsman has the non-slip rubber sole? My feet do get quite hot at times and from what I gather the leather would breathe more and feel a bit more classy. But I also travel on train and usually power walking through the city on wet tiled areas etc, so I am leaning more towards getting the non-slip rubber sole. Because I wear my work shoes for about 12 hrs a day, my feet tend to feel a little more comfortable with rubber soles instead of leather.

Does this seem like the Comfort version will be better suited?

I also can't decide on which type of leather to get, Kangaroo sounds good because it's hopefully going to be tougher to withstand knicks and bumps during commuting, in the past I have had bad scuffs on my leather shoes which upsets me greatly! But also think the black french veal calf craftsman sounds like a mighty fine option too, what would everyone recommend for my first pair to be?

Should there be another model to consider other than the craftsman for a more formal look with suits/corporatewear?

Thanks all!

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Go the comfort Craftsman - the rubber sole will last a lot longer. 99% of the people in the city will be wearing rubber soles anyway.

My advice would be to go the yearling (my pic is the yearling).

A lot of people here will probably say calf, but yearling is cheaper and a little more rugged.

Most CBD types wear the yearling.

Roo is nice, but probably a little too grainy to wear with a suit.

Btw - make sure you buy online from somewhere like bootsonline - you'll save $100 retail.

6. STK_astoria

STK_astoria Well-Known Member

Is it possible to convert a block-heeled boot into a flat heel?

Long story short, a friend who gets a corporate discount in Australia ordered (and delivered to the US) a pair of boots for me. There was a hiccup along the way somewhere and I ended up with block heels. Maybe they should just go to the marketplace?

7. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

Today my first pair of R M Williams, the comfort craftsmen, arrived, chestnut yearling leather, 10.5 H WOW !!
    They look great, super colour but my god are they comfortable. I'm really shocked by these right out of the box, they feel superb, already I can feel the leather moulding to my feet. I just hope this means they will not wear out quickly or get "baggy" on me. So far I love em!

1 person likes this.
  8. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior member

Gonna see if I can pull off my RMs with shorts tomorrow... wish me luck fellas

9. wxxnxs

wxxnxs Active Member

Good luck with that, but I bet it will be awful.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

Boots with shorts is quite common in outback Australia.

1 person likes this.
  12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Mallees or Blunnies I can see. But most folks here are think Craftsman, Turnout , etc.

13. dammit

dammit Active Member

Can someone give me some advice re sizing, I went to a store today and found out my size. At first tried a 10 G but could not even get my foot into the thing. Next was the 10 H. This seems a perfect fit for me. However, when wearing the boot (craftsman), it is very snug/firm, like almost moulded right up to my foot. I'm sort of used to shoes which have a little bit of room (so your feet breathe a little I guess). I can still wriggle my toes and have about 1" of space between when my toe ends and the end of the shoe, so plenty of length. It is more the width, around the under-arch of my foot, where it feels very firm.

I know the leather will stretch with time and it seems like a perfect fit, I was just a little worried that wearing the things for 12 hrs a day could cause my feet to feel sweaty/restricted/too tight?

The lady told me that they don't go any wider than the H and even if I got 10.5, it still wouldn't increase the width at all, only the length, so I think it's either go with the 10 H or get custom made?

On a more bigger problem, how does one decide which colour to get, I like them all!!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  14. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

Maybe try the Henley? It's similar to the Craftsman but has a wider toe and tends to fit slightly less snug.

15. wurger

wurger Senior member

What other leather shoes or boots are you wore?

16. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior member

How right you were

17. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

My experience with RM is that the shoes were wider than typical american shoes (Allen Edmonds, Alden, etc.) I get my same size but more narrow.

18. TKCSA

TKCSA Member

Someone may wish to correct me, but I thought the half sizes were only a width increase. Was this an RMW store, or a third party retailer?

19. dammit

dammit Active Member

I think you are definitely right, this was a RMW store, but I think the sales rep did not seem to know this info that the half size up is width only, which is surprising.

20. dammit

dammit Active Member

Not sure, the only other leather shoes I have (oxford style ben sherman's) are 46. I don't have any that specify the width.

I went back to store today, interestingly yesterday I first tried a 10G on and couldn't even get my foot in it. After trying 10.5H in leather sole, 10H in leather sole, I tried a Comfort craftsman in 10.5 G (the smaller width) which seems to be the perfect fit I think...It's not snug/tight but it's also not loose. What I'm hoping is that this is supposed to be the right size and it isn't going to stretch and later end up being too big.

It's interesting that the 10H is very tight around the foot and also puts pressure on my little toe at the side, yet the 10.5G is a much better fit.