1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

2. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Any feedback on sending back to RMW for resoling or do they not do that?

4. TKCSA

TKCSA Member

Many apologies for the lengthy delay in response to this (it's been a while since I frequented), but just in case this is still relevant...

Significantly, in comparison. If you wear orthotics, go with the Dynamic Flex and remove the insole, the 'bigger Craftsman' option just isn't worth it.

As well, apparently as part of the MTO process, they can also tailor an insole to the exact shape of your orthotics if you so wish (e.g. if you want leather screwed soles). However I'm not sure how practical an option that is for those of us who don't live in Adelaide and don't want to ship expensive orthotics halfway around the world (or across the country).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

They do this, but I haven't had any direct experience doing it. There was a rumour RMW were doing away with authorised repairers in Oz and asking that boots be sent back to the factory for re-crafting. Presumably they received a few complaints about some 'authorised' RMW bootmakers and decided to move it all in house.

1 person likes this.
  6. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior member

My local store sends them to mr minute whom I don't really trust with my better quality shoes.

7. NewSydney

NewSydney New Member

Quote:Apologies for delay, took around 3-4 weeks and the result is great. Will PM you a few pics and highly recommend Nungar.

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

^ Please share with the rest of the thread!

9. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Looking forward to it NewSydney! Many Thanks.

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

For my standard craftsman boots, I sized up a width and used the green superfeet insoles. It's worked very well for several years.

11. TKCSA

TKCSA Member

For those interested, I should clarify this again (said it many pages ago, but it bears repeating): I should add that I am talking about orthotics made by a podiatrist, specifically for your own foot. By their nature and construction, these tend to be thicker than the generic ones that many people add to their shoes, so in many cases my advice may not apply, especially if you use a thin orthotic.

Mine, for example, are 34mm thick at their highest point (outer edge of the instep), which as you can imagine makes it difficult to just throw them into a shoe and go.

For particularly thin orthotics or off the shelf insoles, the 'bigger Craftsman' route may indeed work. My advice is to go in store with your orthotics in hand and physically try both methods. If the comfort is roughly the same, the standard Craftsman is a more attractive shoe (IMHO, I like leather soles). In my case, the only way I could get both a comfortable height and appropriate length was to go with the DFC (due to the higher uppers and removable insole).

However I keep belaboring this point, because in every single RMW store I visited (four) except the original factory store, the salespeople's advice was always the 'bigger Craftsman' route, which I suspect will be the case for most people. The second I went into the parent store, I was immediately told that was the wrong advice and to try the DFC - the comfort difference was massive.

12. jksgoh55

jksgoh55 Member

Just picked up this pair of signatures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Beautiful! Keep them away from the oil heater :).

14. jksgoh55

jksgoh55 Member

The heater has fortunately been unplugged and scheduled for storage!
    BTW, for anyone who is interested, these are in chestnut. The dark tan versions appeared very similar (slightly less dark) but quite a bit darker than dark tan on yearling.

15. LordPave

LordPave Member

They are really nice.

How long did it take for them to arrive?

I've just ordered a pair of Craftsman Kangaroo in Chestnut, but they're MTO as I sized it at 12.5H. I tried a 12H on in an RM Williams store in Melbourne/Chadstone (Australia) and found it a touch too firm (but not tight) - the staff there suggested I go MTO with half a size larger, so that the boot doesn't experience too much damage over the life of the shoe. This was with my orthotic device inserted.

This is more or less a test shoe for me to use, if I like it then I'll organise with the factory for a customised version against the orthotic as I go across to Adelaide regularly.

This is my first foray into proper boots - I'm used to using boots/shoes from Rockport, as they've historically best catered for my orthotics. However, since Adidas acquired Reebok, I feel that quality has gradually dropped off. Searching around and chatting with various Cobblers and Cordwainers has yielded that RM Williams is probably best for me, short of going bespoke shoes (which I fully intend to do when my finances allow for it).

16. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I'm trying to send a pair of boots back to get re-soled. Any idea how to do that since the store in NYC doesn't seem to be available right now?

17. jksgoh55

jksgoh55 Member

Went to the store and bought them, so no waiting. Initially went to the emporium store but they had a nasty scratch on the back, fortunately Melbourne Central had one so grabbed that. Also got the free crocodile belt offer!

18. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

19. wxxnxs

wxxnxs Active Member

Hi All

I'm not sure if my post is appropriate in here or not, one of my friend's company has reciprocal relationship with RM Williams. All of products from RM Williams including boots are 30% off from RRP, if anyone in here is interested, please PM me.

Please note: MTO boots are not included, and if you are not in Australia, unfortunately I'm not able to ship to overseas at this stage.

Moderator, please remove or delete this post if this is not appropriate.