1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

There will always be trial and errors. You will need to be confident. Even if it's complete mess - your shoes are still not ruined. I have re dyed shoes myself . There are heaps of guide in here. If you are in Australia then try using the brand called Waproo . If you want a smooth finish - then use the spray can . If you want a bit of patina looking finish use cotton applicator . Using can easier- and no one will know you have done a home job. Dries quickly and the process is quicker . Hand painting takes a bit longer but once done right will look nicer. Think spray can more formal and hand painting a bit less. With can spray you may get a bit if cracks. Easily fixable . Hand painting less chance of cracks.
    Somewhere I also posted a guide as I re dyed a pair of my shoes . Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

is there anywhere I can pick up a pair in nyc

3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

The NYC store closed earlier this year. Not sure if there are any third party sellers.

4. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior member

Didn't they just move?

5. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Came across these in a random google search. Love the colour and I might even like the boot. Do they make the Craftsman in this finish as well?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Is there currently a consensus on the difference between the Signature Craftsmen and standard Craftsmen on the B543 in veal with the soft chisel toe? In store, the welt was closer to the sole edge, and the last seemed more shaped around the arch or more bevelled on the signature, and of course the plate on the waist. They said the signature has a different last. It also appears that signature's can't be ordered with any modifications.

Does anybody have an example of a B530 in a H width on the screw sole? Sator's original post mentions the B529 is available in a H fit, but I was told in store that wasn't possible (or at least that the B555 Macquarie wasn't available in H).

Lastly, does the toe shape entirely determine the last, including the fit around the heel and arch? Or will the last change when I specify a flat heel?

Many Thanks!

8. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

I`m a UK 8.5 in Crockett and Jones and Gaziano and Girling - but fit into a 9.5 F R&M. I though they were UK similar, but thats what I`ve found. It may be that I`m a different UK boot size, but can't say.

9. tooshay

tooshay Senior member

Does anyone have experience horseback riding in the Gammon's? I'm looking into them as my regular riding boot.

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

what you said about the signature is correct, so I would recommend just get the standard model with yearling, or a small upcharge for the veal.

the macquarie is only available in F and G fittings.

the fit around the heel and arch should be the same, but a different toe shape, and and different width.

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

RMs in chestnut camel leather with a storm welt.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior member

Gah I love the look of that storm welt!

13. spinnbarkeit

spinnbarkeit New Member

Anyone know if these are the chisel toe B543 last in yearling leather?
    I've read over 20 pages and the sizing is a bit confusing. Did the forum come to a consensus for sizing for ordering online?
    I wear a 7.5D on Alden barrie last. Based on some of the early post, my size would be 7G using AE as a reference but it seemed inconsistent by some posters. Can someone help me out on sizing using the barrie last?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

15. NewSydney

NewSydney New Member

See post on page 253 (pasted below):

Have ordered a pair of MTO Veal Calf Craftsman with screwed leather sole and a 'soft toe cap' similar to the 'Signature Craftsman' (after some discussion with RMW in South Australia, they were able to confirm that the Signature boot uses a 'soft toe cap' which gives it a slightly deeper shape as opposed to the standard Craftsman).

Hoping this combination will deliver a sleek dress shoe ready for the office environment and will update once they're at hand. So far, Steve @Nungar has been very helpful and efficient

1 person likes this.
  16. FredAstaire1899

Do the standard Goodyear welted and screw sole boots still have a full leather innersole? Will RM do a rubber outsole with a leather inner sole?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  17. FredAstaire1899

I'd be very interested to see the result as I'm thinking of doing the same myself. How long left to wait?

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

The short answer is yes. The comfort craftsman is available with a leather inner sole and is called the Blaxland. But on MTO you can specify the type of inner sole you want on any makeup. Best way is to specify the letter code for each boot bit - sole, inner sole, heel type etc. - which are indexed in the RMW catalogue.

19. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

I need to get my boots resoled in NYC, store has closed, ideas?

tia,

20. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member