1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Quiet Observer

Quiet Observer Member

I will be putting up two pairs of RM Williams Suede Comfort Craftsman boots in size 11G on Ebay in the next day or two as I am heading back to London from Abu Dhabi and have too much stuff. Pictures attached.

The dark brown suede boots are 3 weeks old and have been worn twice and the tan suede boots are 5 weeks old and have been worn about 5 times. PM me with a sensible offer if you're interested; happy to do a deal on both pairs together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures don't do them just and were hurriedly taken this morning.

2. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior member

They look damn nice, especially the dark brown!

3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I'm an 11F. :sad:

I have a pair of the dark brown suede although I think that they're just the regular craftsman. I'd love a pair of those (and several others) with the rubber souls for casual / to beat up. I thought about Blundstones but I think that the fit is pretty different.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  4. yellowracer

yellowracer New Member

5. meister

meister Senior member

Recrafting time? Just shows how well they were made years ago. Bet the leather will comer up a treat when it is conditioned etc.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Looks more like dissecting than recrafting to me...

1 person likes this.
  7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

My RMW . I thought sizing was a bit off. I am a TTS us 8 EEE . Carminas I wear uk 8 in rains and forest lasts. Loake uk 8.
    These RMW are 8.5 G ! Tried on a 7.5 G was a bit tight on my left pinkie . And got the 8.5G. The store was packed and I thought I bought 8G only today at work realised they were 8.5. But the fit is very comfortable.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. titsmcgee852

Does RM Williams do any roughout boots or is it all just suede?

9. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

I believe all of them are split suede. They are fully lined with leather, so you do have smooth leather facing the inside as you would have on a roughout, but it is two separate peices.

10. titsmcgee852

Do RMW process their own leather? If they do, then I wonder what the use the other side of the hide for. Their boots are full grain right?

11. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

I'm not sure whether they process their own leather, they definitely have some unique leathers that I have never seen used by other companies, so maybe they do. I have no idea what they use the other side for. Maybe they sell it, maybe they split it at a point where the othet half is still thick enough for their boots. But I doubt, splitting it that far from the grain would give them the fine, nice suede that they use. And yes their smooth leather boots are full grain.

12. Patek

Patek Senior member

Looking for a pair of dressyish boot to wear on my mortorcycle to commute to work. Currently wearing a pair of Ferragamos as I don't want to mess up my good boots but I remembered R.M. Williams and thought that they would be perfect. I need something with non-slip soles but reasonably dressy that won't get too beat-up looking too soon.

Any suggestions on a particular model and where to KOP inexpensively? Need the ability to return in case they don't fit right.

Thanks!

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Probably better off getting a pair of blundstones for that.

14. BlvdDandy

BlvdDandy Senior member

I just got my first pair of RM Williams—the Macquarie. Unlike most shoes I buy, I want these to get real beat up and worn in. Other than wearing the crap out of them, anything else I can do to facilitate their breaking in? Should I—gasp!—eschew shoe trees?

15. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

Took me about four months of regular wear to break in my calf Macquaries. Use shoe trees and conditioner to help soften the leather.

16. BlvdDandy

BlvdDandy Senior member

Got any pics, just out of curiosity?

17. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

[​IMG]

I've had them for the better part of a year. Wear them about 2-3 times a week, with shoe trees in between and fairly regular helpings of Saphir mirror shine. There's a few scruffs around the toe from knocking them on corners of desks and stairs but that's inevitable, I suppose.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

RM Kingsvales in action.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Patek

Patek Senior member

I looked those up, they are terrible with rubber soles etc. I work in a bank and need a dressier boot with either topies or Vibram style soles.

1 person likes this.
  20. slimaneism

slimaneism Active Member

Bright green, wide leg, cuffed corduroy...