1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. DesmondD

DesmondD Well-Known Member

Sorry I've been away for a bit - didn't get a chance to take some pics until recently.

Here they are:
    Rum Yearling Comfort Turnouts in 8.5F. This is before I cleaned them up and gave them some loving - will take some pictures when I get some sunshine again.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. havingaraveup

havingaraveup Senior member

Please do take pics of how they clean up! They look fantastic in those photos. How old are they/how often do you wear them?

3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Ebay can be a funny place. Sometimes you to wait and wait for things to sell at what you think is a reasonable price. You can look at the ended auctions that have sold and price your item at what you think is an attractive price that will be snapped up quickly, only to find that it sits on there forever. Best thing to do is, as you have done, put up good quality pictures and then wait.

Same is true of places like CL. Ignore the lowballers and just keep relisting.

4. DesmondD

DesmondD Well-Known Member

@havingaraveup - I've had 'em about 9 months - worn a bit - maybe once every couple of weeks, but they've been faithful companions at 4 or 5 music festivals and quite a number of concerts over that time.

5. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

9 months and once every couple of weeks is like 20 wears. That's not very much for what those look like.

Here are mine: http://i.imgur.com/TAAk7Ty.jpg?1

I wear them maybe 2x a week and have had them for 9 months as well. Have you spoke to RM about this?

6. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

The extra wear must have been due to the mosh pits. You beat the hell out of them in those 9 months lol.

7. Silent Speaker

Silent Speaker Well-Known Member

You've not been to very many "music festivals" I see.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'd be buggered if I would buy RM's for festivals and concerts. A pair of blunnies would serve you better no?

9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Jason,

Get that belt I sent you!

(and an RMWs wallet).

1 person likes this.
  10. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior member

I've seen plenty of RMs at festivals and gigs, they fit that aesthetic really well I've found. It's one of the reasons I'm looking for a pair of seconds.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  11. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

I've taken them on a few hikes, but I'm not sure why festivals could possibly do this much wear unless youre jumping in mud and getting them stepped on a lot. I think 20 wears plus a few days at festivals has done a lot more to these shoes than it should have. I'd talk to RM about it.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  12. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I suspect that their condition is the desired festival aesthetic.

I'd also suspect that they have been worn more than 20 times and then maybe for extended durations. Tramping around in mud and dust will soon suck the life and shape out of leather. They will clean up just fine. Get all the dust and mud out of the creases, apply lots of conditioner, a quick polish and they will look a whole lot better.

Where are the 'after' pictures ?

13. titsmcgee852

Hey guys, when you see boots listed as GW after the size number, is that any different to just G?

14. Silent Speaker

Silent Speaker Well-Known Member

They're different lasts and toe shapes.

Imagine that there are two prototypical RM's: Turnout = roundtoe, Craftsman = chisel toe.
    Everything else (apart from one hideous exception for women) is a variation of one or the other - ie. more round, round and narrow, round with a twist, square, fat square etc.

Macq. are round but narrow compared to the Turnout (I think the infamous "forum special" is based on the macquarie's toe).

Henly's a chisel toe but it's wider IIRC compared to the craftsman. There's something else funny about it as well but I can't remember - something to do with the shape overall. I think it's for certain kinds of feet.

Tambo: imagine a craftsman that's in need of a diet. It's designed for very wide feet.

Wentworth is to the Turnout as the Blaxland is to the Craftsman (see my last post)

The All Rounder's an anomaly: I've never encountered one in person, and I'm still trying to figure out where it fits in the RMW menagerie. It's basically a lesser craftsman I think (same toe shape). Lesser in that the leather used is not as fine as the standard yearling, but closer to workboot leather - don't think it's lined either on account of the tougher leather.

I suppose on the scale it's closer to work boot than dress boot, but still very much dress boot i that makes any sense. It's cheaper than the craftsman too, but if you have access to 2nds a pair of craftsman will be cheaper anyway.

Check the "elastic sided boots" section of bootsonline's site, they've got all the boots with multiangle pics including topdown ones so that you can see the diff between toes (their site trumps RMW's own steaming pile of crap that may be mistaken for a functioning website - seriously, whoever was paid to design that site should be dragged outside and shot repeatedly - best just download the catalog from RMW and that's about all that you should have to do with their site - utterly useless, when it's accessible at all that is)

Where are you reading this?
    I've never heard of a GW. "G-Width"?

There's G and H which are standard and wide that you'll find easily in the shops, and F which is narrow (X which is the Tambo's and perhaps some even more narrow ones like E or something).
    Never encounted a GW though. Check one of their catalogs.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. titsmcgee852

Thanks so much! This was just what I was looking for. It was on an ebay listing, but I think you're right in that GW just means G Width. I went into the store and tried some comfort craftsmans (craftsmen?) on today and they were so bloody comfortable, can't wait to get myself a pair.

16. slimaneism

slimaneism Active Member

Does anyone know why these boots are cheaper on bootsonline than RMW directly? $345 AUD vs $465 AUD

1 person likes this.
  17. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Generally speaking smaller retailers will have lower overheads than RMW, thus they can sell them with less profit margin.

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

^ Wholesale vs retail price basically. The online guys sell (I'm guessing) at wholesale+profit while RMW sell at a full retail price.

As Sator says earlier in the thread RMW begrudge the online sellers a little but really they are the ones who are proliferating the brand here and overseas far better than RMW themselves are. Also, the boots are all made in the same factory anyway.

19. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

+1 on more rum leather pics

20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

From the Aussie members thread: