Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Sator

Sator Senior member

Great thread.. Can't believe I missed this. I love RM Williams boots.

Welcome to the thread. Enjoy!

2. brimley

brimley Senior member

Can anyone comment on the Whisky colored Comfort Craftsman seen here? Is this the equivalent of the Tan seen elsewhere?

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b543N.htm

It appears from Boots Online and Aussie Bush Hats (didn't see it on Nungar) that the Comfort Craftsman doesn't come any thinner than the G width. I need that rubber sole so I guess I can live without the F width. I'm a 12D apparently going to an 11G.

3. Sator

Sator Senior member

Can anyone comment on the Whisky colored Comfort Craftsman seen here? Is this the equivalent of the Tan seen elsewhere? http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b543N.htm It appears from Boots Online and Aussie Bush Hats (didn't see it on Nungar) that the Comfort Craftsman doesn't come any thinner than the G width. I need that rubber sole so I guess I can live without the F width. I'm a 12D apparently going to an 11G.
    Whiskey is a colour they had in last season only as a limited edition. It is an awesome colour. Different to tan - much lighter and richer. It is one of the nicest shades of lighter brown I have seen - from any company. Nicer than the antique cognac from Vass for example. Even one of the guys at the Santoni store on Madison Ave commented on them. My advice: QUICK - SNAP IT UP NOW!!!! Make sure you get some RMW colourless shoe polish because it really brings out the richness of the colour.

4. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

Can anyone comment on the Whisky colored Comfort Craftsman seen here? Is this the equivalent of the Tan seen elsewhere?

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b543N.htm

It appears from Boots Online and Aussie Bush Hats (didn't see it on Nungar) that the Comfort Craftsman doesn't come any thinner than the G width. I need that rubber sole so I guess I can live without the F width. I'm a 12D apparently going to an 11G.

You might try a special order. IIRC, it only adds about $15 to the cost.

gamelan, I think BS offers the Craftsman, but I don't know what leather they chose. Why don't you give them a call?

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

on a completely random note, i had no idea that BenSilver.com sold RMW boots. $425.

anyone know what model and leather option?

http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefro...y=4066&group=1

-Jeff

I'm 95% sure those are the Craftsman, given the color and width options, but that's a $200 premium over Nungar.

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I'm 95% sure those are the Craftsman, given the color and width options, but that's a $200 premium over Nungar.

They are indeed the Craftsman, I believe standard calf leather.

8. Jared

Jared Senior member

I've been reading this thread with some trepidation the last few days as my Craftsmen were already in the mail! I had tried on a pair before ordering, but the changes to the sizing guide were making me start to question myself. [​IMG] Anyway, I picked them up at the post office yesterday and it turns out the fit is just right! [​IMG] I wear a non-prescription orthopedic insole, so I don't know that my data will be of much help, but just in case: I don't own a pair of PAs, but having tried them on (with insoles) I believe a 12E is a little more comfy than a 12D, which is what I prefer in AE's wider lasts. My RMs are 11G and fit just right with full-length Superfeet Black in them (the half-length don't sit properly on the bottom, maybe because of the heel height). The full-length Superfeet are cut-to-fit from size 13 - to get them in the 11G boots I only had to narrow them, not cut the length. I ordered them from Aussie Bush Hats and it took 7 days business days to get them from the factory and then shipping took 9 days (they told me 8-10; I never figured out how to use Australia Post's tracker). They shipped by Australia Post and there was no duty getting them into Canada. The customer service was good, they kept me well informed by email. Pics are forthcoming!

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Well, I'm glad someone got boots from ABH. Mine are still MIA. Time for another email to them, i guess.

10. Sator

Sator Senior member

I've been reading this thread with some trepidation the last few days as my Craftsmen were already in the mail! I had tried on a pair before ordering, but the changes to the sizing guide were making me start to question myself. [​IMG] Anyway, I picked them up at the post office yesterday and it turns out the fit is just right! [​IMG]

I wear a non-prescription orthopedic insole, so I don't know that my data will be of much help, but just in case: I don't own a pair of PAs, but having tried them on (with insoles) I believe a 12E is a little more comfy than a 12D, which is what I prefer in AE's wider lasts. My RMs are 11G and fit just right with full-length Superfeet Black in them (the half-length don't sit properly on the bottom, maybe because of the heel height). The full-length Superfeet are cut-to-fit from size 13 - to get them in the 11G boots I only had to narrow them, not cut the length.

If you wear 12E in AE PAs and RMW 11G fits perfectly then I guess this means the new sizing guide is just right because this is exactly what I would now have recommended

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Since this thread is titled, in part, "Everything You Wanted to Know," I thought it was time we tried to address a lacuna. I know RMW boots can be brought into any RMW store to be sent for resoling. Does anyone know what it costs and what the turnaround time is? I'll try to ask in the NY store, to which I owe a visit one of these days, but in the meantime, if anyone has any information, it would seem to be a worthy contribution here.

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Having now made it through all 23 pages, I must say that this sounds pretty good.

I'm wondering about the materials, though. They don't sound bad, but they do all sound rather dressy and relatively delicate. Is this the case? Obviously, French veal calf doesn't sound like combat boot material, but is yearling at all tougher than average dress shoe stuff, or would I have to be very careful while wearing these casually? Kangaroo sounds interesting, but I'm very reticent when it comes to exotic hides, and I'm not even sure what it looks like.

Also, while it is tougher per weight than cow leather, is the kangaroo used by RMW actually more durable than the yearling, or are they comparable and the kangaroo hides just thinner?

Also also, can anyone comment on goodyear welting v storm welting (which is also a goodyear welt, or something?)? Are there any drawbacks? I'm only interested in rubber soles, and I'm wondering if it would be self defeating to get rubber soles without a storm welt, but this is not an area of my expertise (please, ask me about the great hobo war of the 1930s instead). Pictures would be helpful. I'm wondering if there's any reason not to get a storm welt beyond a possible small surcharge.

Also also also, I must say sizing also sounds rather daunting. Can anyone from Street help out a kid who has never so much as seen a Park Avenue and doesn't plan on ever trying a pair? I thought knowing that I wear a US 9.5D was enough, but apparently not.

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Also also also, I must say sizing also sounds rather daunting. Can anyone from Street help out a kid who has never so much as seen a Park Avenue and doesn't plan on ever trying a pair? I thought knowing that I wear a US 9.5D was enough, but apparently not.

My advice would be to go with an 8.5 F for RMW, assuming your 9.5 D's are not tight or too snug. If your 9.5 D's leave you with a little space or if this is your sneaker size, go with an 8 F RMW. These boots need to be somewhat snug to fit you right over the long term.

Also, I have the yearlings and there is no discernable difference with the leathers of my other shoes in terms of durability. Of course, I have not worn them yet [​IMG] but the RMW's don't feel delicate, if anything, I feel like they could stand up to quite a beating.

14. mr bunbury

mr bunbury Senior member

After reading through this thread (and since winter is coming on in Boston) I think I'm convinced about getting a pair of RMW's. Here's my question: has anyone really put these through their paces in terms of rain, slush, and snow yet? How have they fared? On the one hand they look like dress boots; on the other hand the RMW website shows them entirely covered in mud and muck. If I wear a pair of rubber-soled Comfort Crafrtsmen (or of Dover boots) on my icy, salted, hilly, brick sidewalk, will they hold up?

15. Smokey

Smokey Member

Since this thread is titled, in part, "Everything You Wanted to Know," I thought it was time we tried to address a lacuna. I know RMW boots can be brought into any RMW store to be sent for resoling. Does anyone know what it costs and what the turnaround time is? I'll try to ask in the NY store, to which I owe a visit one of these days, but in the meantime, if anyone has any information, it would seem to be a worthy contribution here.
    It's been at least 2 years, but the last time I was in the RM Williams store in NYC, they sent me to the cobbler right next store who re-heeled me within 24 hours at regular NYC prices($12-$15? comes to mind). The folks at the store seemed were big fans of this cobbler.