• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
Can someone tell me why you'd order kangaroo leather over one of the standard types?

Feels as soft and flexible as chamois. Ridiculously pliable, like fabric.

akbar

Reaction score
I'm going to NYC late December and I'll be sure to hit up the RMW store. How much cheaper would it be to buy a pair of Craftmans in NYC rather than ordering them online? I also have friends visitng Australia who could pick up a pair there and bring them back. Which would be the cheapest option? If I do buy them in-store in NYC, what sort of price am I looking at? $300?

factorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akbar
I'm going to NYC late December and I'll be sure to hit up the RMW store. How much cheaper would it be to buy a pair of Craftmans in NYC rather than ordering them online? I also have friends visitng Australia who could pick up a pair there and bring them back. Which would be the cheapest option? If I do buy them in-store in NYC, what sort of price am I looking at? $300?
Unless they're on sale, it's generally more expensive to buy in-store in NYC than online. Last time I was there, the in-store price for a pair of Craftsmans was maybe $425 vs. $285 online (though movements in the AUD-USD exchange rate may have altered one or both prices).

Do go ahead and try them on in-store, decide on the color you want, and pick up some polish and leather conditioner even if you decide to buy the boots online.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Feels as soft and flexible as chamois. Ridiculously pliable, like fabric.

But twice as strong...

akbar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
Unless they're on sale, it's generally more expensive to buy in-store in NYC than online. Last time I was there, the in-store price for a pair of Craftsmans was maybe $425 vs. $285 online (though movements in the AUD-USD exchange rate may have altered one or both prices). Do go ahead and try them on in-store, decide on the color you want, and pick up some polish and leather conditioner even if you decide to buy the boots online.
Thanks for the advice. What about if I got my friends to pick them up for me in Aus and bring them back over here to the US? Also, if I order online should I go bootsonline or nungar?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, after giving them a good try, I'm reluctantly giving up on my distressed leather comfort craftsman in 9G (I posted pics above.)

If anyone is interested in a trade, check out my posting in the official trading thread. (Basically looking to trade these 9G's for another 9G that isn't a "comfort craftsman". For example, chestnut or distressed leather turnout or regular craftsman in 9G.)

These are great boots; I'll miss them.

Astronaut888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Well, after giving them a good try, I'm reluctantly giving up on my distressed leather comfort craftsman in 9G (I posted pics above.)

If anyone is interested in a trade, check out my posting in the official trading thread. (Basically looking to trade these 9G's for another 9G that isn't a "comfort craftsman". For example, chestnut or distressed leather turnout or regular craftsman in 9G.)

This are great boots; I'll miss them.

Have you considered having them stretched.........did it for the first time ever with a pair of Ostrich ropers I purchased some time ago and got a great result.......dunno how well it would work for the RMs - but, it may be worth a try

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
My MTO black Kangaroo Buckle Boots arrived today from bootsonline. they delivered 5 weeks from order after quoting 10 weeks.

I already have a pair of RMW Chelsea boots in black, and the Buckle Boots are much duller in the leather, but very very stylish in look/design.

The fit of the Chelsea boots feel better, more gripped; but not to say that the Buckle isnt comfortable - because it is.

I actually thought that the Chelsea's were Craftsman with chiselled toe. So I was a bit peturbed when I first took the Buckle out of the box, and as a supposedly chiseled toe boot they appeared much rounder in the toe area. It then dawned on me that the Chelsea's I previously bought from RMW store in Bond Street, where in fact Macquaries and not Craftsman.

Here's the best bit. The Buckle boots looks better with a suit than the Macquaries.. infact, I'm going to keep the Macquaries just for casual (non suit) wear from now on.

Some questions

- why do bootsonline call the boot I bought Buckle Boot? I think it's same as RMW Stockman - but maybe Stockman's different.

- does anyone know if I can get the Macquarie or the Buckle Boot with less of a lip on the sole area? I live in the Middle East and always spend time brushing sand out of the sole ridges.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Those sound like beaut boots Tez. Would love to see some pics.

Stockman is the same as the Buckle Boot - the terms are interchageable.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them? I thought perhaps the kanga stockmans were cheaper from Nungar than Bootsonline, to the tune of A$80 or so...

Not sure about your sole question; you might email bootsonline to see if there is a screwed sole option for a MTO stockman, rather than the welted - this would result in less of a sole 'lip' at the front of the boot, and a sleeker look.

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
After weeks of research and browsing multiple threads, I think I'm ready to take the dive.

So I think I'm going to purchase the Macquaries.

Is it correct that they are sleeker than the Comfort Craftsman?

Going to the NYC store next weekend to get fitted and then I'll purchase online.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
After weeks of research and browsing multiple threads, I think I'm ready to take the dive.

So I think I'm going to purchase the Macquaries.

Is it correct that they are sleeker than the Comfort Craftsman?

Going to the NYC store next weekend to get fitted and then I'll purchase online.

I put a Macquarie on my left foot the other day, and the buckle on my right foot (the buckle is chisel toe like the Craftsman I believe)

the Macquarie defo looks more of a modern eyecatching trendy boot, and I think is a better design. The buckle looks better with a suit as it's a more rounded in the toe area - thus more conservative design.

Essentio

Reaction score
Is there a significant difference in G (standard) and H (wide) fitting in RM Williams boots? Is it possible to have a Craftsman in G width stretched?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you mean, the Craftsman is more rounded? The Macquarie is a round-toed boot, no?

I would not call it sleeker for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads