• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yep, that is an option I suppose, not that much more than topy-ing the soles (they are welt). However, I don't need a complete new sole - only some protection for the current one.

I think a whole new sole might be overdoing it, but I am ready to be corrected if the consensus of knowledge says that sole replacement is better than topying? Personally I can't see it given the current condition of my boots.

stanford88

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but I ran through the thread and didn't see a good answer.

Will it be significantly cheaper to buy the boots in Sydney or have them shipped to the US? From what I gather, the price is the same. Shipping would be the difference. Thanks!

labravajazz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Why this fascination with RMW's (and Baxters for that matter)? Good looking footwear in quality leathers? Well constructed, handsomely crafted, with a combination of dressiness and ruggedness? A whiff of the romance of the Outback? I think all of this. But also some down to earth practical reasons. Some wisdom from the OP back in 2006: This is also why I wear these boots. All day and every day. Cheers
Well, for what its worth I have shoes of all the good makers John Lobb, CJs, Church's, EGs, Grenson etc
- when it comes down to it, the best fitting of all are the RMW Craftsman - not as fine or sophisticated perhaps but ex leathers and nice looks as good as any Chelsea boots IMHO. I use UK10.5 or 11 medium in English shoes depending on last, and RMW 10.5G fits me 100%. They last superbly and can be sent back to have factory resole done in Australia. Just had mine done after 7 years wear and for $99 AUD all up inc transport they are like new but as they are worn in ther get softer and more comfortable and stay that way. Elastics still like new. They strated off very firm and hard to get off the foot without help! Its that way for months and then they just get better and better. A great investment and quality for the price. How many geniune one piece boots for that money?

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stanford88
This may be a dumb question but I ran through the thread and didn't see a good answer. Will it be significantly cheaper to buy the boots in Sydney or have them shipped to the US? From what I gather, the price is the same. Shipping would be the difference. Thanks!
Checked the RMW webshop. A pair of Comfort Craftsman in yearling leather cost AUD 369.95 including sales tax but excluding shipping. No mention on this site if the tax, AUD 33.63, is deducted for overseas sales. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and deduct it. Price AUD 336.93 shipping excluded. On to Bootsonline. Same boot AUD 295, sales tax deducted as B-online do this for overseas orders. So, a savings of AUD 41.93 between these two sellers. Check out the other online sellers. You might have to calculate customs duties, if any, before you can make a final comparison with the retail price where you live. If you happen to be in Australia you could probably get an on-line seller to deliver to your place of stay and you would be able to get the sales tax refunded on the way out. That means AUD 295 net and no hassle with import duties. IIRC B-online offers free delivery within Australia. The latest import I did cost me about AUD 21:- in customs duties and AUD 50:- for shipping (the one before that got through for nothing). A grand total of 295 + 50 + 21 = AUD 366:- . Where I live the retail price for this boot is around the equivalent of AUD 565:-. I'm happy! Cheers

MarcoDaeSu

Reaction score
I've been following this thread for over two years but, now having a decent job, I'm finally going to take the plunge myself
smile.gif

I have a question about the sizing. I just moved to Montreal and found a couple of stores selling Allen-Edmonds, so I'm going to visit one and see what kind of size I wear. Looking at the first post, there's some stuff about different lasts, so before going I'd like to know if I should look for a specific shoe model to test?

Tyson2007

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have followed this post for some time and have finally decided on the Kangaroo Craftsman size 9G. I am however having a difficult time deciding on the sole (leather vs rubber). I found the fit of the boot in the leather sole much more comfortable, especially compared to the Comfort Craftsman. I realise that you can get a rubber sole put on just the regular Craftsman and having tried them on in Yearling leather there was a noticeable difference in fit that I again preferred them over the Comfort Craftsman (noticeable difference in width).
I guess my question to everyone is how long, on average, do the leather soles last. Conditions of use would be regular (living in Syd. Aus. there is no concerns over harsh winters). Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

rayuela

Reaction score
I'm a Blundstone wearer for a while, and while I like the comfort of the rubber sole of the Blundstone's I'd like a slightly less chunky looking, higher-quality upper with a replaceable sole, so I thought the RM Williams would be a good choice. I picked up a pair of the RMW Wentworth boots in Chestnut Yearling and I'm finding them a bit long and thin looking, in appearance, not in fit, so I'm thinking I'll return them and try to find a different pair.

As background, I mostly wear Blundstone 500's for kicking around, or Alden's on the Barrie last for nicer situations, both of which have a chunkier shape than the Wentworth. I think the Blundstone's are way too chunky, of course, but I find the Wentworth too thin. Maybe it's the length of my foot, not sure, but I don't really like the look of long thin boots so much on me.

So my first question: Are there any RM Williams boots that are a cut a bit less sleek than the Wentworth?

I got the composite sole and while I find it more comfortable than leather, I think I'd like a straight up rubber sole. I'm a little unclear on all the different screwing/welting terminology I see on the websites selling RMW boots.

So, my other questions: Are all the RM Williams boots built in such a way that the soles can easily be replaced--even on the rubber soled boots? Are there different kinds of welting being used, and which is best? And finally, am I wrong in thinking that the rubber soles will be more comfortable in the long run than the composite soles?

Thanks for the advice.

Mugnut

Reaction score
Yard boot/Gardener/Gammon. Yard boots are sewn/glued/screwed so not replaceable. Gardeners are the same without the screwed sole. My Yard boots slot into my shoe selection between Blundstones for shitkicking and RMW Craftsman for dressier. Great boot for jeans/khakis/cords.

If you are used to the Blundstone look on your feet all RMW's will look "long and thin." In my next pair of Yard Boots I might go up a half-length and from G to H to get a slightly chunkier look to the boot. You can always fill up the space with socks.

I wear Yard Boots nearly daily in the winter. They are bombproof, but not as barnyardy as Blunnies.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
Also, what's a good polish to use on these in Chestnut? I really like how they look now and I'd like to keep them with a similar shine (though I don't mind, of course, if I get a bit of patina). Any suggestions?

After reading several posts in this thread about polish, I decided to stop using Kiwi and go with the RMW branded products.

Originally Posted by factorial
I see that some of you use the RM Williams Leather conditioner and polish, so if that's my only/best option there I guess I'll just have to suck it up and eat the cost of shipping them from Oz.

Don't forget, you can mail order from the Manhattan RMW store. Just be specific about what you want. I called up the manhattan store to see about mail ordering after reading amce's post. The sales clerk at the store actually recommended the opposite of what I'd read here and rec'd the saddle dressing over the leather conditioner for my standard craftsman boots. I'm sure they would both work well, but I decided to pass on her rec and go with the rec's posted in amce's post (below for reference).

I ordered a large jar of RMW Leather Conditioner and a tin each of RMW branded polish in the colors of my boots (black & chestnut). The prices were very reasonable and they charge an extra $10 for shipping via UPS Ground. The LARGE jar of conditioner will likely last me a lifetime and beyond. I can't remember the cost, but IIRC it was $15-$20 tops.

The RMW branded products work well and I'm sure they aren't magical or anything, but they seem to be of high quality and not exorbitantly expensive. Because of that, it seemed prudent to use the mfr's recs for leather care. Had they been much more expensive than third party products, I'd have likely passed.

amce's previous (and very enlightening) post:

Originally Posted by amce
Just back from a week in Oz. Found time to visit RMW's cradle: 5 Percy Street in Prospect, a North Adelaide suburb. The visit cost me. I fell for a pair of chestnut Macquaries (B555) with leather soles. I take a 9.5 H in my Comfort Craftsman (B543) but the Macquarie only comes in G widths as RTW. The 9.5 G fit like a glove.

The sales guy, Kevin, gave me a lesson in leather care. I was wearing a pair of CC and he could see that I had been using a polish with too much alcohol in it. He pointed to a slight scaling effect in the leather. He then showed me his own that that very day had come back from re-heeling. The yearling leather was absolutely beautiful, so soft and smooth. He told me that he used RM's Leather Conditioner about once a month and RM's polish when needed.

Needless to say I stocked up on both products and will have a busy week or two ahead of me redoing my collection. Will waive posting pics until I'm done.

Finished off my visit by buying a plaited, kangaroo leather belt. Amazing quality.

Cheers

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a quick question about getting another pair of RMW boots. This will be my 3rd pair (what the hell is wrong with me?). I need a pair for dedicated winter and wet weather wear to accompany casual, business casual and business attire (60/40 casual/business).

I find the standard craftsman that I currently own work well with business & casual attire. But their leather sole just won't work with any sort of inclement weather. Note, the cities I frequent the most in the winter are Boston (hometown), Manhattan (1-2x/month) and Chicago (quarterly at a minimum) as well as the accompanying suburbs surrounding the above captioned cities. Furthermore, cities like Manhattan find me walking a great deal more than Boston or Chicago.

Last winter, I wore the chisel toe Blundstones in the winter which were fine with jeans but not with business attire. I'm torn between getting the comfort craftsman or something from the work boot line, ala Gammon, Yard, etc. While the Gammon/yard boot would work fine with casual attire & jeans, can they be adequately 'dressed up' with some polish for use with a sportcoat or similar?

Boots currently in rotation:

DSC_0388.jpg

August got a bit warm so thankfully we are coming into fall so I can dust off the RMW's again
smile.gif
!! Thanks for any help and I appreciate your sugggestions.

-pb

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Gardener/Yard Boot would work with a sport coat at all. Not only is the shape pretty utility-like, but the oil-kip leather upper doesn't seem to polish up as well either. I'm in the same boat as you (2 pairs of Craftsman, chestnut & black); my next purchase will be a pair of Comfort Craftsmans.

potter AB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
Have a quick question about getting another pair of RMW boots. I need a pair for dedicated winter and wet weather wear to accompany casual, business casual and business attire (60/40 casual/business).
-pb

I would suggest the Blaxland.
It is identical to the Craftsman but has a rubber sole ("non-slip composition") instead. I got my pair last September and it worked very well in all kind of winter weather. On very cold days one should wear thick socks though, since the sole is not thicker than a leather sole, but that means the pair is elegant and can be worn all year round e.g. on rainy summer days too
smile.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Blaxland sounds like a good bet for inclement weather, while still maintaining that dressier look of the Craftsman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads