RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. whereswally?

whereswally? Member

I bought a pair last week and was sure that there was a sticker inside the lid of the box. I'll check again tonight. In any case, it would seem fairly irrelevant as the damage is very obvious. Did you buy them through a store or online? Taking them into a physical store would seem to be fairly easy. If through an online store, the photos should be adequate evidence. The creasing is possibly not a major issue because that would happen within an hour or so of wearing them. The gouges and blacking on a light coloured boot would be a major concern for me though.
    I bought then online and was advised the best way to deal with it was to take it to the retail store and try my luck with getting a replacement, a bit dodgy but sure. I did that and they said they would send them back to get looked over and they have ordered me a new pair of boots. The guy at the store couldn't find the sticker and agreered it was quite a dodgy pair, the women down there didn't seem to think so. I didn't even try the boots on which has me a little worried about the creasing at the back, but the guy at the store said it was normal... so who knows? Hindsight maybe I should of tried them on to double check the size. I also noticed a few pair of boots on display that had those little gouges in them in the store.

2. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

What's the price on the Mock Crock? Is the price more than a regular RM Williams boot in standard leather? I can't seem to find any websites offering it for sale.

3. whereswally?

whereswally? Member

I know in store they charge an additional $35AUD for the mock croc.

Online ordering I’m not too sure.

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Holy crap! You sure got a bargain [​IMG]

6. Prince of Paisley

Slight seconds, apparently. Something of a slight pin-prick of discolouration where the upper meets the sole (and I mean pin-prick). I thought it was part of the design.

I'm actually kicking myself for not getting a few pairs to onsell to SFers for a modest profit (especially as I saw a pair on teh bay for well over $300 plus shipping) [​IMG]

The outlet at Homebush had quite a few pairs at this price, but that was a few months ago.

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

A bought a lovely RMW shirt at the Homebush store during the Easter show. Great spot.

8. danielvh

danielvh Well-Known Member

Just ordered a MTO 'forum special' (although my wide feet prevented me from getting the B529 last - had to settle for the B530Y).

Turnout, dark tan veal calf, screwed leather sole, flat heel.

Ordered from Nungar. AU$165 cheaper than quoted by RM Williams [​IMG] (I don't really understand why RM Williams would charge more, especially since it's going to be made at the same factory, presumable for the same cost and then just sold at an even lower price to Nungar... They wouldn't price match either)

Can't wait for it to arrive!

9. factorial

factorial Senior member

Just got a pair of CCs in Chestnut. I'm really pleased, they look great with jeans and I am wearing them at the office today with office pants.

My only concern is that I put in just some standard cedar shoe trees and they seemed to scratch up the leather inners on the heel. Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap pair of trees available in the US that won't mess these up?

Also, what's a good polish to use on these in Chestnut? I really like how they look now and I'd like to keep them with a similar shine (though I don't mind, of course, if I get a bit of patina). Any suggestions?

I see that some of you use the RM Williams Leather conditioner and polish, so if that's my only/best option there I guess I'll just have to suck it up and eat the cost of shipping them from Oz.

10. amce

amce Senior member

I picked up my pair for $80 [​IMG]
    Think P of P got hold of a prototype pair made out of mock croc cardboard [​IMG]. I ordered mine (CC sole) from bootsonline. 325 Aussie bucks plus shipping to Sweden. Set me back a total of $AUD 383 but I've got the best looking pair of boots in town! Cheers

11. amce

amce Senior member

Also, what's a good polish to use on these in Chestnut? I really like how they look now and I'd like to keep them with a similar shine (though I don't mind, of course, if I get a bit of patina). Any suggestions?

I see that some of you use the RM Williams Leather conditioner and polish, so if that's my only/best option there I guess I'll just have to suck it up and eat the cost of shipping them from Oz.

Now days I only use RM's stuff (see some earlier posts above). I stocked up when I was back home in June. I can get hold of it from RM retailers here but the closest one is a 2.5 hours drive away.

BTW, the wholesaler and distributor of RM Williams for all of Europe excluding the UK is located about 1.5 hours away from were I live. Weired.

Cheers

12. amce

amce Senior member

My only concern is that I put in just some standard cedar shoe trees and they seemed to scratch up the leather inners on the heel. Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap pair of trees available in the US that won't mess these up?

I have three pairs of RM's trees and three of a no-name variety I purchased from a cobbler. The no-names have a full heel and a split toe. IIRC RM's trees are made by a manufacturer in the US - Rochester? Narrow heel, no split toe but they follow the high curve of the vamp OK. No scratches from either of them.

Cheers

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Think P of P got hold of a prototype pair made out of mock croc cardboard [​IMG]. I ordered mine (CC sole) from bootsonline. 325 Aussie bucks plus shipping to Sweden. Set me back a total of $AUD 383 but I've got the best looking pair of boots in town!

Cheers

Yes, I'm ankling for a pair of those mock crocs myself. I do like how they look.

14. Prince of Paisley

Think P of P got hold of a prototype pair made out of mock croc cardboard [​IMG].

Yeah - that's why I try not to wear them in the wet [​IMG]

Seriously though, I wear 'em quite regularly and they are still good as new - though I am considering getting some topy's on the sole to make them more all-weather proof.

What do you guys think? I've had shoes topy'd before, so I assume the principle is the same for a pair of RMs? Anyone had any issues doing this??

15. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

Yeah - that's why I try not to wear them in the wet [​IMG]

Seriously though, I wear 'em quite regularly and they are still good as new - though I am considering getting some topy's on the sole to make them more all-weather proof.

What do you guys think? I've had shoes topy'd before, so I assume the principle is the same for a pair of RMs? Anyone had any issues doing this??

You can go get them resoled with a rubber sole for around 100 AUD. Assuming the sole is welted and not screwed.

Still trying to figure out whether to get a brown or a black craftsman. Seems most people around melbourne wear jeans with black shoes... but I can't help thinking brown might look better until the jeans turn lighter.