• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Angie from Baxter is always prompt with her email replies, or at least I found her to be so. She'll have your sizing sorted out in no time, amce. And (just for you)...go the Pies!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks. We'll see on Monday.

Pies won. My Saturday afternoon: a bottle of Ozzie red, a jar of conditioner, three pairs of boots that need a work over and Le Tour de France with the climb to Mont Ventoux on the telly.

Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schweino
It's not about the comfort, but I easily get sweaty feet when the lining isn't fully leather..... I guess the toe part isn't leather lined anymore?
You won't find a sweatier pair of feet than mine, Schweino, and the boots have held up superbly well. Have a great weekend, amce.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Looking to buy a pair of RM williams boots. Want something more casual rather than to go with a suit.

Tried on some craftsmans in-store. Felt like they were a little too formal looking with jeans. Wanted to try on turnouts but they didnt have them in stock in my size.

Would turnouts look more casual? What other good options are there?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Craftsman are the perfect casual bootwear to go with jeans. The beauty of them, though, is that they're also formal enough to wear with suits (look at Kevin Rudd after all).

jtmoney

Reaction score
Just ordered my first pair of RMW Craftsman Yearling in black 10.5 G from Aussiebushhats. I tried on sizes at the NYC store first. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Craftsman are the perfect casual bootwear to go with jeans. The beauty of them, though, is that they're also formal enough to wear with suits (look at Kevin Rudd after all).
Thanks. Well i'll still find some turnouts to try on first...but I think craftsman seem like the most 'classic' of the lot. Though I also wouldn't mind something more dull than the yearling - looked a tad too shiny though it'd probably dull down. What's a good, duller alternative to the yearling? Then - colour. Can't decide between black or one of the browns. Maybe i'll just have to get both =P

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharpe
Looking to buy a pair of RM williams boots. Want something more casual rather than to go with a suit.

Tried on some craftsmans in-store. Felt like they were a little too formal looking with jeans. Wanted to try on turnouts but they didnt have them in stock in my size.

Would turnouts look more casual? What other good options are there?

The Craftsman is definitely the way to go. I wear them everyday. With jeans, chinos and suits. If you intend to be a serious boot person you will need at least two pairs in able to rotate. Choose a sole that is compatible with your winters. I rotate four pairs of CC on a daily basis - two chestnuts, a mock croc and a black.

Mmmmm...Craftsman being too shiny! That's a twist for this thread but no problem. Keep them looking good with RM's leather conditioner, avoid polish and Bob's your Uncle.

Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
The Craftsman is definitely the way to go. I wear them everyday. With jeans, chinos and suits. If you intend to be a serious boot person you will need at least two pairs in able to rotate. Choose a sole that is compatible with your winters. I rotate four pairs of CC on a daily basis - two chestnuts, a mock croc and a black.

Mmmmm...Craftsman being too shiny! That's a twist for this thread but no problem. Keep them looking good with RM's leather conditioner, avoid polish and Bob's your Uncle.

Cheers

As amce says, I've worn my HBC boots with jeans and with suits. Looks superb with both. Wore my HBC boots on my recent trip to the US, where it garnered rave reviews from my wife's family, who had never seen a wholecut chelsea before.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce

Cheers

I guess I just see shiny shoes as being more formal and too dressy for casual wear. But perhaps i'm just wrong.

amce

Reaction score
I guess I just see shiny shoes as being more formal and too dressy for casual wear. But perhaps i'm just wrong.

Shiny is one thing, clean and unscuffed is something else. The choice is yours. Go for the RMW CC or maybe a HB Classic (I'm contemplating adding a pair of these to my collection) and you can do no wrong.

Cheers

Sharpe

Reaction score
Ok pretty sure i'll go for the Craftsman (or CC) in yearling..just to decide the colour now..

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what are HB classic boots?

EDIT: Also, was going to buy the boots in the RM williams store... but i've noticed they're cheaper online. Are there any drawbacks to buying them online VS instore aside from waiting time?

amce

Reaction score
Ok pretty sure i'll go for the Craftsman (or CC) in yearling..just to decide the colour now..

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what are HB classic boots?

EDIT: Also, was going to buy the boots in the RM williams store... but i've noticed they're cheaper online. Are there any drawbacks to buying them online VS instore aside from waiting time?

Not a question of ignorance. We all have to learn and all of us are still learning. HB stands for Henry Baxter, another Australian maker of wholecut boots. Check the posts just above here for more info about HB.

Where are you located? I'm living in Sweden and I've purchased three pair online from bootsonline.com.au The others I purchased in the RMW shops in Melbourne and Adelaide when I was back home visiting. Bootsonline deducts sales tax (GST) if the destination is abroad. They provide an excellent service. One order took a total of four days from my placing it until delivery at my doorstep in Southern Sweden. The other two times the shipping from Melbourne to Sweden took about two days but then they got caught up in customs here for a while. No flies on bootsonline for that. Barry and his staff are just great.

There are other online sellers, you can read about them here in the thread. If you've got your sizing all worked out then I see no drawbacks at all. Quite the opposite.

Sorting out the colour? Check out the latest RMW catalogue (link above in an earlier post). There's more than just chestnut and black. Indulge yourself.

Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both RMW and HB boots are available for excellent prices online. RMW make the better boots, I'd say, of the two, but if price is ever an issue, you cannot get a better boot for the price than a HB Classic.

amce

Reaction score
Hope I don't get flamed for digressing from the main subject of this thread but Wraith, I'm a little confused. Maybe you, being closer to the source and if you have time, can help sort things out?

Angie at Henry Baxter was noncommittal about size comparisons between HB and RMW. Secondly she called their top of line model the Henry Baxter, wholecut, one quarter lined.

I sent a similar size request to Blue Heeler Boots in Qld. The replied that the Henry Baxter Classic had been discontinued but anyway recommended the 9.5 Henry Baxter, wholecut, leather sole, no info on lining (AUD$233 +$56 for shipping. Nice price!).

The Henry Baxter website presents the Henry Baxter Classic one-piece dress boot.

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads