RM Williams are cracking :( Am I all alone?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DJackson, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DJackson

DJackson Well-Known Member

well, looks like my 1st opportunity to have the boots inspected @ the NY Store is Friday so I'll hold my breath until then unless RM customer service comes back with some new info before then. Geez I never knew shoes could make me feel queasy from suspense :brick:

2. Lear

Lear Senior member

+1

Try explaining to a normal person, that you've just spent £100 on shoe cream, wax and conditioner.

I can hardly believe it myself :embar:

Lear

3. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Point take, friend. I have no doubts that Saphir is a superior product. I just can't bring myself to toss out the 20 Meltonian's I've got.

4. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

AMEN! Now a friend of mine got me into using only Vintage Shoe Trees for my vintage shoes... UGHHHH!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. DJackson

RM store said that this happens eventually & tears tend to stay small and mine isn't too bad. Since my resole is looming close they recommended that I see how things go with my boots and at when I resole I'll have the option to create a claim and get a new pair if it get's worse or it bothers me too much. So, I'm sitting on the situation to see how I feel about the whole thing but I have a feeling I will be opting for the new pair as it does still bother me (although less than before). I'll post updates once I make a decision

6. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

I have a pair in yearling calf that are pretty severely cracked. 3 years old. I don't take very good care of them so that might be the cause. Sill a bit surprising. I can't imagine their typical customers use Saphir on their boots every two weeks.

7. Jaygatsby28

Jaygatsby28 Senior member

This happened to my RMWs as well. It was actually due to my negligence for not cleaning up a salt stain on the side of the boots that dried the leather out.

I brought them to Nick (B Nelson/VIP) over on 53rd and Lex and he did a fantastic job minimizing the damage/spreading of the cracks. I’d let him take a look and see what he can do.

8. DJackson

I hate when a thread is left hanging so here's the latest:

I last mentioned I'd bring them into the NYC RM store and see what they have to say. I did that in July and they were quite nice about it although I did not end up replacing the boots on the spot. Basically they convinced me to wear them a bit more to see how the leather fared and if I was comfortable with the boots. I left with a promise that they could be replaced if I came back and still wanted to do so.

In the mean time I have been wearing my Macquaries and other shoes more often since then and occasionally the Stockmans with the crack. Long story short I brought them into the NYC RM store again last Friday, said hello to the friendly store attendant (who remembered why I was there) and handed my boots over for replacement. I really have to say that the guys at the NYC location were great about it and I hold the RM Williams brand in very high regard with service like that.

Now I have to say I am a little disappointed that RMW is closing for summer vacation in Australia for a few months so I won't get my boots until perhaps March but c'est la vie. And to make things fun I was able to order the replacements in both a different size, leather, and color - looking forward to new dark tan calf Stockman boots next year! BTW, I am (obviously) paying the difference for calf instead of kangaroo leather. Ever since I got my Macquaries in calf I really like the way they polish / wear / break in. The finish on my old stockmans in kangaroo was rich and beautiful (the new one in the store looked lifeless in comparison) but I did not like the creasing and the Stockman is relatively prone to creases (or should I say elastic sided boots just fit awesomely).

I'll put some photos up when the new ones get in.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

There's a RM Williams store in NYC?

10. DJackson

You betcha - 59th between Madison & Park

11. DJackson

It has been a couple weeks; RMW came through with flying colors. Here are the new Stockmans before I put a nice shine on them. I paid a little extra to get calf leather this time instead of kangaroo. I am extremely satisfied with the whole situation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I gave a few pair of shoes with this problem. It must be a 'luck of the draw' syndrome of sorts when leather is clicked at factory. Either the person doing the clicking wasn't paying attention to the area of leather and a blemish was looked over or, perhaps a new employee didn't have enough experience and didn't spot it.
    Over here so far the cracks have not given way. I did use some cobblers glue (a micro dot of it) to hold the flap on and so far no worries. Perhaps a cobbler can glue a thin piece of leather inside your boot to alleviate stress on that part of the leather, provided ofcourse that such a solution would not comprimise comfort.

13. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Good thread - thanks to the OP for consistently updating & posting the outcome.

If I was going to condition RM William boots - I'd recommend their leather dressing over Saphir products.

14. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

RMW makes me happy to be Australian.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

hmmh, drama queen territory. each to his own.