1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RLPL "Tuxedo Duster"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jekv12, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jekv12

jekv12 Senior Member

I came across this item on ebay. I suspect the description is a bit of a misnomer, saying "tuxedo" with that lapel. But I am curious - on what types of occasion would you wear something like this? It's long like overcoat, but fitted like a suit jacket or sport coat. It's not a morning coat...please enlighten me.

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

My 100th post. I've arrived.

I'm sure some will disagree but I think it looks like an abomination. I wouldn't ever wear something like that.

3. Phil

Phil Senior Member

agreed, its hideous

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

It seems a bit costume-y, like a Ralph Lauren product commissioned by International Male.  No surprise that it has been languishing on eBay (I see it whenever I do a search for "purple label") for quite awhile with no bids.

5. Phil

Phil Senior Member

reminds me Ralph Lauren /International Male / the Matrix / Amish. Not a look I really want to pursue.

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Distinguished Member

Too many details. Throat latch, hacking and ticket pockets, pickstitching. Whoever made this must've entreated Ralph to think again. I can see him shaking his hoary head, "No, my Italian friend, I must have this jacket to go with my tooled tan leather pants and velvet, monogrammed formal shoes." What's the deal with this anyway: Corneliani 4-button . Not a fan.

7. jekv12

jekv12 Senior Member

Thank you for confirming my suspicions...

8. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

I appreciate the fact that it has so many sartorial extras: the tab collar, the pick stitching on the lapel, the ticket pocket, the slanted pockets, the completely useless shoulder basting, and on and on. Too bad I am not a 40 XXXXL.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I don't think it looks so bad, but has way too many details to put it over a tuxedo. It looks very casual to me.

10. tintin

tintin New Member

With a 41" length, I'm guessing it's more of a frock coat than a duster. I'd probably gp for it if I knew I was nominated for an academy award this spring.

11. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Hmm, I think the problem that it's being described/seen as a tuxedo coat. I see it as more of a very dressy overcoat. Could be cool worn that way...

edit - but you would have to be super-slim.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If the forum wants to buy it for me, I'll show you all how it's worn in style. There are a lot of details, but it can be pulled off.

13. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

What's the problem here, is the guy's back yard only 5x5'? Stand back from the @#$~. thing and lets see it. I don't think it would be as bad as everyone thinks if you could see it all at once. I might rock that with jeans & a smirk but it's certainly not a "tuxedo duster", whatever TF that means.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'd wear it with boots, really tight flared light colored jeans a tight tee, and pretend that I'm Jon Bon, playing some Jersey stadium circa 1987. Either that, or as j suggested, just pair with jeans and a smirk. Maybe some shades.

15. ROT

ROT Senior Member

I think it needs a top hat, gloves, high collar and stock, walking stick/riding crop and horse (and carriage?) Just the thing for a spring afternoon ride through Central Park.