1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RLPL to drop Edward Green? Tell me it ain't so.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe Gaziano should bid for the contract.

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've got ample experience with both Italian factories that RL is considering for the work and they are both top-notch, but below EG in my opinion. They also more obviously "Italian" in look and design than say Saint Andrews or Lorenzini. That being said, RL could creat an entirely new range of models for their own use.

Won't ask you to divulge since it seems that you cannot but, I am in the minority here, I like the Italian high end offerings better than Lobb and Green[​IMG] Other then the Mackay, I found the Green/RLPL offerings to be middle of the road (aesthetically, not the construction). I like the Italian design sensibilty, I find that they take more risks with the model introductions, make a sexier shoe and can also make a great conservative shoe. I will probaly be one of the few that is happy to see an Italian shoemaker take over RLPL shoes. For you Green fanatics, think of the upcoming closeout deals on RLPL, maybe I'll finally get a pair of Mackays.

3. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Won't ask you to divulge since it seems that you cannot but, I am in the minority here, I like the Italian high end offerings better than Lobb and Green[​IMG] Other then the Mackay, I found the Green/RLPL offerings to be middle of the road (aesthetically, not the construction). I like the Italian design sensibilty, I find that they take more risks with the model introductions, make a sexier shoe and can also make a great conservative shoe. I will probaly be one of the few that is happy to see an Italian shoemaker take over RLPL shoes. For you Green fanatics, think of the upcoming closeout deals on RLPL, maybe I'll finally get a pair of Mackays.
    Yes Ed. EG shoes are just plain boring. I can't quite understand the fanatism around these shoes.

!luc

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I went to a store wearing Lobb Jermyn IIs and tried on the Grants. I thought those looked really great in comparison as a chiseled version.

5. TCN

TCN Senior member

This should be interesting; I preferred the Chester Barrie PL suits to the Saint Andrews, but I would imagine that most guys would call it a wash. Lorenzini was certainly an upgrade from the PL T&A shirts though.

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

A salesman with whom I spoke at the Polo Ralph Lauren store in Chevy Chase confirmed that the EG relationship was ending. He said that Ralph had purchased a shoe factory in England that would be making the Purple Label shoes. Take this information with a pillar of salt.

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

A salesman with whom I spoke at the Polo Ralph Lauren store in Chevy Chase confirmed that the EG relationship was ending. He said that Ralph had purchased a shoe factory in England that would be making the Purple Label shoes. Take this information with a pillar of salt.

Purchasing their own factory? Wow.

8. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

That seems fishy , just for the reason that RL doesn't own , but subcontracts. It will be nice to see what the shoes are like.

9. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Purchasing their own factory? Wow.

Definitely not what I've been hearing. For over a month we've known they were going to move to an Italian factory but I've never heard anyhting to the effect of them buying a factory.

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Another RL salesman told one SF member (was it jose?) RLPL would continue to use EG. So now we have 3 stories from 3 different sources:

1. RLPL is going to an Italian maker (seems to be the most credible).

2. RL is purchasing its own English factory to produce RLPL (least credible).

3. Relationship with EG will continue (hope so).

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

One of the salesmen at the South Coast Polo store told me a few weeks ago, after I queried him about this matter, that they were going to continue to sell EGs along with the Italian-made shoes as Purple Label.

I wonder if Ralph Lauren's English shoe factory will be located anywhere close to Brooks Brothers' "Peal factory" that some Brooks salesmen have told me existed!

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Probably right down the street from the "Tom James" factory.

13. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

[​IMG]

14. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

15. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Major smokestack complex there in Northampton.

16. thinman

thinman Senior member

One of the salesmen at the South Coast Polo store told me a few weeks ago, after I queried him about this matter, that they were going to continue to sell EGs along with the Italian-made shoes as Purple Label. I wonder if Ralph Lauren's English shoe factory will be located anywhere close to Brooks Brothers' "Peal factory" that some Brooks salesmen have told me existed!
    [​IMG] Every BB salesperson I've ever asked has told me with a completely straight face "Peal & Co. makes our shoes. We bought the company years ago...". I sincerely hope RL continues to offer EG shoes, as they really are one of the few sources of discounted EGs for those of us not living in NYC. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see whether RL will carry slightly more fashion-forward Italian shoes. I would welcome something similar in style to Ferragamo Tramezzas or Santoni FAM, *if* they're well-made.

17. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

One of the salesmen at the South Coast Polo store told me a few weeks ago, after I queried him about this matter, that they were going to continue to sell EGs along with the Italian-made shoes as Purple Label.

I've been told the same thing. Only a few EGs will be offered under RLPL. Most of each season's shoes will be made in Italy.

18. drake

drake Senior member

Their will be a sort of diffusion Purple Label now (it's really kind of like Purple Label Sport, but all the labels at the moment say Purple Label even though it costs less than half of Purple Label proper).

You can already see these "Purple Label Sport" Italian made shoes on polo.com.