RLPL to drop Edward Green? Tell me it ain't so.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Sep 10, 2006.

1. mussel

mussel Senior member

I was at the Polo Mansion browsing the RLPL EG when one sale associate told me this might be the last season RL carrying EG. RL is considering dropping because of production and delivery delays not because of quality. Has anyone heard about the same thing? If it's true, it's really a sad development.

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I was at the Polo Mansion browsing the RLPL EG when one sale associate told me this might be the last season RL carrying EG. RL is considering dropping because of production and delivery delays not because of quality. Has anyone heard about the same thing? If it's true, it's really a sad development.

actually, it's great. it'll create a slight sale frenzy where we might be able to get some of the discontinued shoes at very low prices....

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I assume they'll still sell shoes though. Will the production switch to CJ?

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

If you go to the Mansion, you'll discover that they moved the Purple Label shoe display from the classy shelf beside the living room fireplace to the other end of the second floor, onto a couple of tables, with some shoes not actually in the display but scattered throughout the room. The showcase has the bizarre detail of having half the shoes feature those Chelsea-boot style elastics on oxfords. There's even a mannequin with a 3-piece suit and a pair of those elasticized oxfords.

I think the models last year with the 888 last were a lot better than what they rolled out this year, except those light brown Mackays in Spring.

5. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Yep. I've heard the same. Very sad news.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

is it sad, really? i would assume this development would force eg to bring out their own brand in the markets in a more visible fashion.

7. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I was surprised to hear a Bergdorf salesman tell me that EG was dropped for CHURCH in that store. All this while Lobb is the new poster boy of GQ, etc.

8. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

It looks like EG is going for a Lobb'isation of the brand. Dropping contract works which dilute the brand's exclusivity, terminating bespoke which costs too much, raising the prices...etc Typical luxury market branding strategy.

!luc

9. mussel

mussel Senior member

I was surprised to hear a Bergdorf salesman tell me that EG was dropped for CHURCH in that store.

I don't recall Bergdorf ever carried EG. BTW, BG shoe department is run by To Boot.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

is it sad, really? i would assume this development would force eg to bring out their own brand in the markets in a more visible fashion.
    It's bad if you wanted to get EG at discount prices. RLPL was the single best place to find EG on sale.

11. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

The guy from To Boot in Bergdorf told me while he let me try on Kiton, Vass and Lobb Prestige shoes.

Incidentally, the Corbens we went nuts on in Polo.com are NOT by Edward Green, so could this be another detail in support of this thread?

12. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I, too, am disappointed by this news. I'm also not entirely surprised given the spotty history of Edward Green and meeting their production dates/quantities. Oxxford on 57th previously stocked Edward Green. When I moved to NY in 2001, the store was blowing out their remaining stock for 50% off. My first pair of black Malverns is actually labeled EG for Oxxford.

13. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

I heard the same from a fellow member, may be he'll fill us in with more detail. It's indeed a sad development.

RLPL was the single best place to find EG on sale.

Probably the only source for EG for those live outside NY Metro area.

I'm also not entirely surprised given the spotty history of Edward Green and meeting their production dates/quantities.

How long RL has been EG's customer (probably the biggest one)? Are the production delays really that bad that RL is considering dropping EG? What causes the production delays? Is EG having troubles meeting demands? What can EG do to solve the problems? Hire and train more workers? First it was Paul Stuart, now it's RL, will Saks be the next one? EG can't keep on losing big accounts. EG's management really needs to look at its operation long and hard.

I am passionate about EG and hope they'll prosper. That's why I am asking all these questions.

14. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've seen no signs of erratic deliveries since the shakedown of the new factory.

The margins on the RL business may well be lower than they are on branded business, and EG would not be the first manufacturer to decide to place those orders at the end of the line in favor of higher margin business.

Pure speculation on my part.

15. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

One of the suit salesmen at NM in Scottsdale used to manage the shoe department and he quit it and moved to Men's Suits when they started carrying lesser brands.

No doubt the $350 shoes blow out a lot quicker and make more profit per square foot per month.

Doesn't mean I have to like it however. Remember no one else outside of the very major markets are carrying real quality shoes. And RL does not carry the PL line in most of their stores. So it probably is a small business followed by a small group of fanatics......that's us.

Perry [​IMG]