Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RLPL Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

Just wondering what folks thought here of RLPL ties. I love Purple Label, but never owned a tie. I won one on Ebay for $9, NWT. It was Stocksdale Gallery, which is a trusted RLPL seller, so I know it is legit.

It's a conservative Navy with red dots, so it's not wild or funky. I guess it just flew under the radar.

Sounds like I got a steal, no?

2. demeis

demeis Senior member

Good deal, but i'm not a fan of RLPL ties. The tend to bow weirdly on the side its hard to explain but they just don't hang right especially for that price. I've only owned one so i just don't know if i got unluck but at that price you got a great deal.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've got a couple of them, and one of those is a favorite of mine. It does sound like you got a steal.

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

I love them, though I'll qualify that with the fact that I only own the English made (Turnbull/Asser) ones, not the Italian.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I find them mostly too thin. Same with Polo. I really like the patterns though.

Judging from what AP says, I probably have the Italian RLPL ones, since mine are too thin for my tastes, whereas all my T&A ties are absolutely my favorite ties and the perfect thickness.

6. demeis

demeis Senior member

I find them mostly too thin. Same with Polo. I really like the patterns though.

Judging from what AP says, I probably have the Italian RLPL ones, since mine are too thin for my tastes, whereas all my T&A ties are absolutely my favorite ties and the perfect thickness.

I only own an Italian one and it seems to be as thick as my brionis, maybe a tad thinner but ties up nicely, very similar to a canali.

7. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

I have some nice PL ties -- not all of which are thin. I favor thicker ties as a matter of course. I believe all the RLPL ties I have are made in England.

8. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I found the texture of some that I looked at in the RL store a little odd, and the website descibes them as 100% satin which presumably is why the weave is very tight and the fabric very glossy. Still, I might get some of the polka dots, which look quite good in this style. I'll avoid the paisley and regimentals though...

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, RLPL seems to be in a satin phase, but I'm sure it will go away.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

RLPL ties are made by Altea, an Italian company that also produces under its own name.

11. Stu

Stu Senior member

Hmm. STP always has a lot of Altea ties. I never bit because I was unfamiliar with the maker. If Purple Label has Altea do its ties, I imagine the Altea ties are pretty decent.

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hmm. STP always has a lot of Altea ties. I never bit because I was unfamiliar with the maker. If Purple Label has Altea do its ties, I imagine the Altea ties are pretty decent.

Altea ties are nice Stu but they can be found regularly at Marshall's and TJ Maxx for $15 and under.

13. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just wondering what folks thought here of RLPL ties. I love Purple Label, but never owned a tie. I won one on Ebay for $9, NWT. It was Stocksdale Gallery, which is a trusted RLPL seller, so I know it is legit.

It's a conservative Navy with red dots, so it's not wild or funky. I guess it just flew under the radar.Sounds like I got a steal, no?

Stu,

You got a great deal.

RLPL are very nice ties. Perhaps the only major US tiemaker that uses 100% wool interlinings.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

RLPL ties hang and knot beautifully for me. I have a small handful of RLPL (bought for around £10 each at a local RL outlet) and find they always seem to add a bit of flair to an outfit. I don't think I'd pay full retail for them though.