• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLPL Suit Worth It? Other Options at Similar Price Point?

needstylehelpplease

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in desperate need of one or two good suits, and am kind of lost on where to start. Probably around 10 years ago (maybe longer) I bought a RLBL Anthony suit and it fit me perfectly. My understanding is that RLBL was rolled into RLPL and that the RLPL Gregory is roughly equivalent to the old Anthony.

The Gregory suits start at $2k. It seems that RLPL is fairly well-regarded on here--is that right? Is RLPL a decent value at $2k+? Frankly, I'm not too focused on getting the absolute best deal; I don't have too much time to shop around and as long as I'm getting decent value for a good final product that fits me well I'm fine with that. But are there are others in that price range (or slightly above) I should consider? I'm not sure what I should be looking for, but the basics are:
- I'm 5'9", 165 with a fairly muscular build but not beefy
- I'm not looking for modernish but not too modern. I'm in my late 30s and work in finance, and am looking for something that would work for both business and social events.
- I'm located in NYC, so there should be a lot of options here, but I have no idea where to start other than checking out the RL flagship on the UES.
-- What is the difference between the different suits within the Gregory line? There's Twill, Serge and Sharkskin and I have no idea what that means or the difference between those.
- I'd like to move somewhat quickly and have something for an event in about a month from now.

Thanks in advance!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL is a great product, you will find that to be general consensus. Specific to RL/RLPL, I suggest you ask all those questions to staff at the RL Mansion. Go see and try the different models in person. They will get you into something that works in no time, alterations and all.

larand

Reaction score
I have a fair amount of RLPL in my closet and consider them to be top tier as well. They also fit me almost perfect OTR. If you are looking to try some other options, I've also settled over the years on Kiton, Brioni, and Zegna Couture and have been pleased with all of them.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would definitely check out the Armoury on the UES. I used to be a fan of Paul Stuart but lately have found the trousers too slim for me.

Twill vs serge vs sharkskin refers to the fabrics. Of the three, would suggest sharkskin > twill > serge but best to see them in person before deciding.

needstylehelpplease

Reaction score
Ok, I went over there and tried on a navy twill. These pics aren't the best, but any thoughts on the fit?

Attachments

• Front - Copy.jpeg
    Front - Copy.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 403
  • Back - Copy.jpeg
    Back - Copy.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 410

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
buttoning point is good, sleeves need a snip.

Ideally, the fabric could drape better but could be the way you're standing.

But what do you think? You like the suit? Feels good?

SaxoProf

Reaction score
Agree with above about what YOU think. It does need sleeves done and some nip tucking all around I think, but that would be after it gets situated on you better. It appears that perhaps your shoulders aren’t even or if one side is more built up from a quick looks, but also could be how you’re standing. Most important is that it feels good to you!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL is a great product, you will find that to be general consensus. Specific to RL/RLPL, I suggest you ask all those questions to staff at the RL Mansion. Go see and try the different models in person. They will get you into something that works in no time, alterations and all.
Unless I am out of date, RLPL has very built-up shoulders, so
I never considered them.Otherwise, very nice garments.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It generally looks okay—might be slightly snug across the waist so I’d let that out a touch. You have a low right shoulder but that’s going to be a minor issue in all RTW jackets.
Check out the Armoury before deciding on this suit.

jeremygo

Reaction score
As someone in NYC who recently visited both the RL Mansion and The Armoury to buy a wedding suit, I second checking out The Armoury. I’m around the same height/weight as you found the armoury suits fit me much better OTR. But some of that will also come down to what you prefer!

You may also want to check out sid mashburn’s new shop on the UES which offers a bunch of fairly “modernish” suits (shorter jackets, lower rise trousers) in the same general price range.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the purple label ‘Kent’ model. Might work better for you.

needstylehelpplease

Reaction score
buttoning point is good, sleeves need a snip.

Ideally, the fabric could drape better but could be the way you're standing.

But what do you think? You like the suit? Feels good?
Thanks. It felt good to me, but I always find it hard to evaluate these things when I'm in the store as I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for and always feel rushed with a sales associate next to me (even if they are not doing anything to rush or pressure me). I wish I could test drive it for day. Per the other recommendations in this thread I think I'll check out the Armoury and maybe give the RLPL a second try-on.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Ok, I went over there and tried on a navy twill. These pics aren't the best, but any thoughts on the fit?
Purple label is fairly good RTW, but you end up paying a bit for the brand name. I think the main benefit for PL (I have a couple of pieces) is that sometimes you get unique designs or materials noone else can offer. That said, I don't think this drapes that cleanly over the back or the legs? Try sizing up one for comparison?

In NYC, you also have Cad&the Dandy. They do bespoke around your price range. Obviously not an option if you're in a great hurry, but if you're on the muscular side, much of the sleek, slim fit styling of today may be on the tight side.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few notes:

- A pic with a tie would help to determine whether it's a good fit.
- Sleeve pitch may be off, which would require an alteration.
- Back is a little messy.
- Shoulder looks ok.

RLPL has multiple models:
- Gregory, Ralph, Douglas, Kent, Hadley.
Based on your frame, Kent may work better for you.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone in NYC who recently visited both the RL Mansion and The Armoury to buy a wedding suit, I second checking out The Armoury. I’m around the same height/weight as you found the armoury suits fit me much better OTR. But some of that will also come down to what you prefer!

I believe RLPL and The Armoury's model 101 suits are made by the same Italian manufacturer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads