1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RLPL models

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sir F, May 14, 2012.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

You're probably right re: motives/intent.

Still, regardless of intent, I certainly derive more entertainment from the RL ads. And that enjoyment in itself makes me still like the brand, even if I hardly have any of it left in my wardrobe these days.

Mind you, I find myself chuckling at quite a few Tom Ford and Dolce & Gabbana ads too, so perhaps my sense of humour is rather disturbingly skewed.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Well maybe you are right, never thought about it that way. I sitll like it but not all RL adv... are like this?

3. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

He has a twist on it, if you dont take RLPL for a second and look at this, you see that he has his own thing. And I think it's perfect...

4. rs232

rs232 Senior member

[​IMG]

This should answer your question:

[​IMG]

5. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

The Purple Label ads are always great; I like to grab the pamphlets when I see them. Also good ones are Phineas Cole by Paul Stuart :slayer:.

7. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Hm didn't know about that, google it. Looks little like purple label, there adv.. that is.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

To me, these ads are meant to reflect the old money WASPY northeast lifestyle, or at least what people think that is. A big part of the appeal seems to be the "man of leisure" implications, such as wearing a three piece pinstripe suit, not because you're going to work, but because you are going to a nice lunch in the south of france or the hamptons.

I can definitely see the appeal behind the advertising and yes it is beautiful, even if the actuality of that background/lifestyle isn't what is depicted for many (less these days anyway).

9. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

+ 1

10. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

+1, the RLPL ads are so enjoyable on so many levels- wonderful and ridiculous simultaneously. I could see these being made into paintings, wallpaper etc. I think I need to statrt collecting them.

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

12. inq89

inq89 Senior member

I do like RL's 2010 campaign videos and I wished they made more. The soundtrack empowers the imagery very well. Like others have said, it is a false aesthetic (i.e. playing tennis in a trench coat?) but provides a sense of luxury and power. Which is the point of the campaign.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  13. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  14. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Spring collection 2012,
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

I love the RL ads. The dramatic undertones with minute detail are what they shoot for, and they nail it. Now, they may take themselves too seriously, but they're building an image of respectable, elegant clothing. A couple humourous ads; while fun and light, would probably just undercut the overall brand and image they're trying to portray. They've pigeonholed themselves, but in a way that works.

16. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

17. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

What do you mean, the Hermes models in RLPL?