• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RLPL Mackay captoe width

NMW1982

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I went to a RL store to try on the Mackays and found that although I really love the stylying of the shoes, the standard D width is a little too narrow for me. What would be your suggestions? Should I purchase a similar pair from EG in a wider width? What would be the equivalent pair made by EG? Do the RLPL Mackay's width stretch out after a few wearings? I am normally a US E width. Thanks.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
Hi Everyone, I went to a RL store to try on the Mackays and found that although I really love the stylying of the shoes, the standard D width is a little too narrow for me. What would be your suggestions? Should I purchase a similar pair from EG in a wider width? What would be the equivalent pair made by EG? Do the RLPL Mackay's width stretch out after a few wearings? I am normally a US E width. Thanks.

The Asquith is the corresponding EG model.

NMW1982

Reaction score
Do the RLPL Mackay's width stretch out after a few wearings?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do the RLPL Mackay's width stretch out after a few wearings?

Probably yes. You can also have them stretched at a local cobbler with relative ease and a high rate of success.

NMW1982

Reaction score
But if I force stretch them in the arch area, will they look abnormally wide there afterwards?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But if I force stretch them in the arch area, will they look abnormally wide there afterwards?

Nope. It will be basically undetectable as long as someone who knows what they're doing does the job.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my two cents, but:

You're better off starting with a shoe that fits than buying a shoe which is too tight and having it stretched, especially a shoe as expensive as the Mackay. Keep in mind that Edward Greens are generally supposed to provide a tight fit and that they will loosen up over time. However, there is a difference between the shoes being a little tight and being uncomfortable or painful.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Just my two cents, but:

You're better off starting with a shoe that fits than buying a shoe which is too tight and having it stretched, especially a shoe as expensive as the Mackay. Keep in mind that Edward Greens are generally supposed to provide a tight fit and that they will loosen up over time. However, there is a difference between the shoes being a little tight and being uncomfortable or painful.

I totally agree with this sentiment. I was working under the assumption that they were only a tad bit snug.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The 89 last will be a better fit for your foot. Perhaps aportnoy can say whether it is possible to order the Mackay on this last (or on the 888 last in an E width) at a RLPL trunk show.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
The 89 last will be a better fit for your foot. Perhaps aportnoy can say whether it is possible to order the Mackay on this last (or on the 888 last in an E width) at a RLPL trunk show.

Great point AC. Wait until the next trunk show at RL and order it in your choice of hide. last and width for no additional charge.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.