RLPL Linen Sportcoats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, May 18, 2006.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Anybody know how the quality is on these? What is the "right" construction for a linen jacket? I know it's been debated on here that fusing can be better for linen. So, what's best?

2. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I'm not sure about the construction but I ordered both of the linen jackets that were included in the current sale so I will post a report once I receive them.

I am curious as to why the "Savile Row Linen Jacket" is $300 more than the "Linen Notch Lapel Sport Coat" considering that the only differences appear to be in styling (i.e. two-button vs. three-button).

3. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Not to hijack the thread, but I had a similar experience at the Mansion last night. Two pairs of linen pants, both almost identical, but a $100 difference. I asked the sale person and he said maybe it is tailoring, but I was hard pressed to see a major difference. Although the more expensive ones were made in Italy, so maybe they are outsourced.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I would be surprised if it was fused, but I don't really have any first hand experience. This caught my eye on Ebay, but it's too similar to my HF silk/wool/linen blend jacket. There are a few others on there as well, at attractive prices. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RALPH-LAUREN...QQcmdZViewItem [​IMG]

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Not to hijack the thread, but I had a similar experience at the Mansion last night. Two pairs of linen pants, both almost identical, but a $100 difference. I asked the sale person and he said maybe it is tailoring, but I was hard pressed to see a major difference. Although the more expensive ones were made in Italy, so maybe they are outsourced.

My experience with RL's wool pants is that the Made In Italy stuff is cutter nicer and better made (construction and fabrics) than the other stuff made in Asia. I have two seemingly same pair of RL wool pants, one made in Italy and the other made in Korea from Italian fabric. The look exactly the same but when you wear them you can tell the difference in quality and cut.

Chorse, got the pocket squares, thanks. The BJ jacket is at Bhambi's having very light-brown horn buttons attached and the length raised about 1/4inch.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Anybody know how the quality is on these? What is the "right" construction for a linen jacket? I know it's been debated on here that fusing can be better for linen. So, what's best?

RLPL has 2 qualities: the top one is made by St. Andrews and the lower one is made by...oh, I forget, but its still damn good. Not St. Andrews good, but they charge a lot less, so it's all relative.

Jon.