• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlpl keaton collar, shirt question

dsteele

Reaction score
Can I wear a keaton collar (severe cutaway collar) shirt in a business casual (no ties or sport coats) office?

Thanks!

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would probably look ridiculous. Especially if it's contrast collar, which is the only style I've seen those RLPL severe cutaways in.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
It would probably look ridiculous. Especially if it's contrast collar, which is the only style I've seen those RLPL severe cutaways in.

They also sell them in plain white.

I probably wouldn't wear a Keaton to work, period. I pretty much only wear mine in the evening. Sans tie.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I'm getting more and more into cutaway collars, although I own extremely few shirts all together (six, of which two are cutaway style). As I might need more shirts I'm considering a RLPL Keaton shirt. The collar is stunning.

The question is, is it really ridiculous to wear it without tie? I'm especially intending to wear it during festive occasions. I think a Keaton collar with the top button unbuttoned would look elegant and welcoming, like you have open arms.

Also, I wonder, how's the fit of RLPL shirts? I read somewhere that it's neither slim, nor full cut. Rather in between. That makes me hesitate. I have a 15.5 neck size and I want it slim: Chest 41-42", shoulders 18".

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i have some RLPL keaton shirts. the 15.5 size is about a 44" chest and a 19" shoulder, which is fine for my proportions but sounds like it will be too big for you.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Phineas Cole shirts for Paul Stuart are also extreme cutaways and very nice.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
^i have some RLPL keaton shirts. the 15.5 size is about a 44" chest and a 19" shoulder, which is fine for my proportions but sounds like it will be too big for you.

Thanks, yes I think it would be a little too wide for me.

Originally Posted by aportnoy
Phineas Cole shirts for Paul Stuart are also extreme cutaways and very nice.

Never heard of Paul Stuart (!) before. Looked it up and came up with this shirt (among others). They claim it's "trim fit". Sounds promising, I just wonder how trim it really is.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover

Never heard of Paul Stuart (!) before. Looked it up and came up with this shirt (among others). They claim it's "trim fit". Sounds promising, I just wonder how trim it really is.

Trim yes, Band of Outsiders trim, no. They are great shirts and if you like the style, I highly recommend them.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
I probably wouldn't wear a Keaton to work, period. I pretty much only wear mine in the evening. Sans tie.

This is a problem I run into. I found 2, NWT in a thrift shop. One a red stripe and another a multi-coloured stripe. I think they were about 50 bucks. I only bought one. Why I am not sure. Probably because work was so far away still being a student.

Anyhow, I digress. I have always thought of contrast collar and stripes as daytime, but find the shirt to bold and eccentric for wear to work. Thus, one of my favourite shirts get very little wear.

Originally Posted by CashmereLover
Also, I wonder, how's the fit of RLPL shirts? I read somewhere that it's neither slim, nor full cut. Rather in between. That makes me hesitate. I have a 15.5 neck size and I want it slim: Chest 41-42", shoulders 18".

I find, this one particular shirt fits very large. I wear a 16 neck shirt and 40 suit, so I realize that my neck is large but usually I find the shirts don't look that bad. This one does. I never take my jacket off with it and the front even sometimes bunches up in the front.

calvinloke

Reaction score
It looks VERY nice from sideways, but not so good from the front.

crinklecut

Reaction score
I don't think cutaway collars look quite right without a tie. Kind of looks like someone is pulling at your shirt collar from behind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads