RLPL Edward Greens for $325?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drake, Sep 10, 2006.

1. EL72

EL72 Senior member

But didn't the Benton come in a lighter tan, and have the Polo and horse logo label on the inside, not the Ralph Lauren Made in England script?

Yes, but other than those markings, the shoe is stitch for stitch a dead ringer for the Benton. The box shoes it's not PL but Polo RL and the color (burnished chestnut) is one made by C&J, not EG. The sole is not the usual EG as well. These shoes could be 10+ years old and perhaps that's how they were marked before???

2. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

Chalk it up to the madness of crowds.

3. svtrader

svtrader Member

Glad I didn't get a chance to order. If it sounds too good to be true...

4. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

this is nuts , just nuts ...... whoever receives the first pair of shoes has the duty to report the truth on the forum

5. Dan-

Dan- Well-Known Member

Yes but with free shipping and the ability to return to any RL store, even outlets, there is no downside to trying. At $260 (with RLTRUNK), even if they're "only" as good as an AE, and not something odd like a moc or made of corrected grain leather, they're still a deal.

6. EL72

EL72 Senior member

But it seems like everything in the text matches the picture, except for the "tan burnished." And what about the "Purple Label" attached to the text? Are any of the driving mocs made in England?

Curiouser and curiouser....

The "tan burnished calf" color may be a clue that the Corben are in fact C&J shoes given that they are the ones making shoes in that color rather than dark oak and edwardian, which is how the EG for PL shoes are identified. The color names seem to be consistent between RL and their contractors.

At $325, they would have to be C&J benchgrades but then it would be surprising if PL shoes were benchgrade. Who knows? Perhaps contacting C&J would yield more info.

7. saint

saint Senior member

Alternative conspiracy theory: RL ordered them in suede, hence the picture, for some reason EG shipped tan calf. RL agrees to take shoes at deep discount, proceeds to blow them out. EG maintains plausible deniability.

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Alternative conspiracy theory: RL ordered them in suede, hence the picture, for some reason EG shipped tan calf. RL agrees to take shoes at deep discount, proceeds to blow them out. EG maintains plausible deniability.

But EG do not make shoes in burnished tan calf. If it was EG, wouldn't it be labeled Edwardian Antique calf instead?

9. southgate house

southgate house Senior member

Does EG have color called tan burnished calf?

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

At $325, they would have to be C&J benchgrades but then it would be surprising if PL shoes were benchgrade. Who knows? Perhaps contacting C&J would yield more info.

My ultimate question, though, is why would Ralph sell PL shoes at $325? Even if these were Loake seconds, under the PL banner, they'd sell for $850. Or maybe I'm just being cynical...

11. kronik

kronik Senior member

My ultimate question, though, is why would Ralph sell PL shoes at $325? Even if these were Loake seconds, under the PL banner, they'd sell for $850. Or maybe I'm just being cynical...

You're not being cynical. The Purple Label branding is as much about quality as it is prestige/price. If their cotton shirts retail for 350, then you know good and hell well they would not sell shoes for less than that, which actually are more expensive to produce.

12. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Polo Mich Ave store in Chicago has 2 pair of EGs. You must ask (Gregory) to see them.
    The 8.5 is the Barksdale in oak. The 11 is the Mackay in oak. Both come with shoe trees.

13. Infinite42

Infinite42 Well-Known Member

Polo Mich Ave store in Chicago has 2 pair of EGs. You must ask (Gregory) to see them.
    The 8.5 is the Barksdale in oak. The 11 is the Mackay in oak. Both come with shoe trees.

Have they sold out of the rest of their EGs? I bought mine there about a month or so ago and they had around 4-5 different EGs on display.

14. southgate house

southgate house Senior member

I just received a call confirming my address and noting that the shoes will be shipped "within the next few hours."

15. abc123

abc123 Senior member

Are they willing to ship them?