RLPL Edward Greens for $325?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drake, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Because they're made in England, and because they're PL. EG makes (or has, until recently, made) the PL shoes.

That said, something is odd here. Even if we assume these aren't by EG, these shoes are still priced abnormally low. Every other PL laceup is $850 or more; even a change in supplier wouldn't spur a price reduction of $525. (I wouldn't expect any price reduction at all, even if the PL line were taken over by a much lesser maker.)

At the $325 price point, I'd expect these shoes to be made by the mysterious Italian company. But they're clearly made in England. And that doesn't make sense. Even the C&Js are significantly more expensive than $325.

So what's going on? Be interesting to see how this shakes out...

Right. This driving loafer is what you typically get for the low threes in a PL shoe. It's $310. Explain that v. either the suede shoe shown or the calf shoe described at $325.
    [​IMG]

2. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

I wouldn't worry too much, their return policy is excellent. You can even take them back to an outlet and get a refund.

They do some of other shoes with that 20% discount that are nice as well, there are the tassel loafers and the monk strap shoe both of which look elegant.

3. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

IMHO, the Grant looks better than the Camden, which is in any case limited to just 8 and 9.5 D right now. [​IMG]

4. william

william Senior member

CANCEL ALL YOUR ORDERS!!!

(this is not a joke, sorry)

Dear Sir,

I received your email via our shop in London.

The Ralph Lauren Purple Label "Corben" is not an Edward Green model.

With kind regards
    Helen Bateman

I thought this sounded too good to be true. Oh well...I'll just return them. Instead of cheap EGs I get a trip to the mall!

5. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

CANCEL ALL YOUR ORDERS!!!

(this is not a joke, sorry)

Dear Sir,

I received your email via our shop in London.

The Ralph Lauren Purple Label "Corben" is not an Edward Green model.

With kind regards
    Helen Bateman

Where did the email come from? Polo store in London or the EG store? If the email came from Polo, did you ask who made the Corben?

6. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I didn't order any but I wouldn't dismiss these shoes outright simply because they are not EG. They look like very nice shoes and unless PL is going very downmarket, I can't see how they could be poorly made, albeit not EG quality. For $260 (with coupon), they can still represent a very good deal though I have to agree with Doc that something is weird about $325 PL laceups.

7. jtw3036

jtw3036 Well-Known Member

So would these be Sanders & Sanders, EG or C&J?

[​IMG]

Ebay auction

8. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Where did the email come from? Polo store in London or the EG store? If the email came from Polo, did you ask who made the Corben?
    I e-mailed Edward Green directly. People at Polo wouldn't know a thing, except maybe a salesman at the Mansion itself.

9. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

[​IMG]

Ebay auction

I am not 100% certain but they look like C&J old RLPL stock pre-EG.

10. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Ebay auction

Those are not PL and look like the Benton captoe made by C&J I believe.

11. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

I didn't order any but I wouldn't dismiss these shoes outright simply because they are not EG. They look like very nice shoes and unless PL is going very downmarket, I can't see how they could be poorly made, albeit not EG quality. For $260 (with coupon), they can still represent a very good deal though I have to agree with Doc that something is weird about $325 PL laceups.

I think the key to the problem and the mistake is that the misleading item is the picture of the shoes. My guess is that while every other detail was correct, they simply used a wrong picture of a suede EG shoe instead of the actual item, which may turn out to be RLPL driving mocs in Tan Burnished, or something along those lines. Nevertheless, I will wait for my shipment and see how it turns out. I'm not losing any money, and it's certainly a good mystery now...

12. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

But didn't the Benton come in a lighter tan, and have the Polo and horse logo label on the inside, not the Ralph Lauren Made in England script?

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the key to the problem and the mistake is that the misleading item is the picture of the shoes. My guess is that while every other detail was correct, they simply used a wrong picture of a suede EG shoe instead of the actual item, which may turn out to be RLPL driving mocs in Tan Burnished, or something along those lines. Nevertheless, I will wait for my shipment and see how it turns out. I'm not losing any money, and it's certainly a good mystery now...

But it seems like everything in the text matches the picture, except for the "tan burnished." And what about the "Purple Label" attached to the text? Are any of the driving mocs made in England?

Curiouser and curiouser....

14. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

they simply used a wrong picture of a suede EG shoe instead of the actual item, which may turn out to be RLPL driving mocs
    I don't think it could be that simple, since the description did say "oxford shoe", "supple suede upper", "wingtip detailing", hand stitched leather sole", "outside reinforced stacked heel", etc.

I'd love to see a driving moc like that. [​IMG]

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Moral of the story: POLO.COM SUCKS ASS.

Proved time and time again.