• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLPL - Ebay Question

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I have been looking at some of the simple white/purple, white/green striped RLPL dress shirts on e-bay and would really like to get a couple. There are a couple of seller's who are offering "Buy it now" for only $50. Does anyone know if they are legitimate, the seller's do not have any negative feedback? Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Also; I have a 15" neck, but noticed the sleevelength on these is 34/35; I measured from my pit to wrist, and am only coming up with about 25"...I am 6 ft...am I measuring wrong? Missing something?Thanks!!!!!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I have been looking at some of the simple white/purple, white/green striped RLPL dress shirts on e-bay and would really like to get a couple. There are a couple of seller's who are offering "Buy it now" for only $50. Does anyone know if they are legitimate, the seller's do not have any negative feedback? Here is a link:

Also; I have a 15" neck, but noticed the sleevelength on these is 34/35; I measured from my pit to wrist, and am only coming up with about 25"...I am 6 ft...am I measuring wrong? Missing something?Thanks!!!!!

you're measuring wrong. sleeves are measured from the back of the neck to the wrist. you're probably a 35 if you are 6 feet tall.

there are measurement guides at a variety of sites that sell men's shirt. just look around and you'll find one.

i know nothing about the sellers.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7

Don't know about that seller, either pro or con. But generally, if you see something from RLPL for sale by Stocksdale Gallery or RLP67 -- it is legit. Those are probably the 2 best RLPL sellers on Ebay, and I buy a lot of RLPL.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
you're measuring wrong. sleeves are measured from the back of the neck to the wrist. you're probably a 35 if you are 6 feet tall.

there are measurement guides at a variety of sites that sell men's shirt. just look around and you'll find one.

i know nothing about the sellers.
\t
Oops, heh heh, I know nothing about shirt sizes, etc. My experience is limited to a bunch of tailored shirts I had made in Thailand; all I know is that they fit. Thanks for the help guys!

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picking up on NoVaguy's correct observation about sleeve length, the way to do the measurement is as follows: Start at a point exactly midway across the collar seam at the back (just under the bottom of the collar) and run the tape measure along the shoulder until you come to the seam between the shoulder and sleeve. Then angle the tape down a little and run it from that seam down the sleeve to the end of the cuff. I've done this countless times, and I've noticed that if you aren't very careful in positioning the tape measure at each step, your measurements won't be very repeatable. To locate the exact center of the collar seam at the back, fold the shirt in exactly half and run a pin through it at the collar seam. Then start your measurement from the middle of the pin location each time. Smooth the fabric out as you go, so that you don't underestimate the length because of bunched-up material. I usually do the measurement 2 or 3 times and take the average. Once you know what this measurement should be for you so that the sleeve extends maybe 1/2" past your jacket sleeves, that measurement should apply to all future shirts you buy.

Edit: Oh, BTW, I'd ask the seller to take the sleeve measurement for you so that you know that the shirt will work for you. You should determine your correct sleeve length in advance, and compare what the seller tells you about the shirt for sale. The big problem is when sleeves are too short. There's just next to nothing you can do about them (unless they're like Hilditch & Key shirts with a built-in extra 2 cm. of fabric buried in the cuffs). On the other hand, too-long sleeves are easily shortened (a $10 job) to exactly the right length. I always make sure that RTW shirts I buy sight unseen have sleeves that are a little too long. Then, I have them shortened to the length I want, adding about an extra 1/4" to the right length to handle shrinkage in laundering. I wash my own shirts in cold to lukewarm water and hang them to drip dry--never, ever letting them near a dryer. I've found that doing them this way keeps shrinkage down to about 1/4" or so over many washings--although I hasten to add that the fabric used will have some effect on the amount of shrinkage. Another thing that could be done is to wash the shirt while the sleeves are too long, so that first washing and accompanying shrinkage (which is usually more than that from subsequent washings) are done before the sleeves are shortened to the exact right length. It's truly an inexact science, but that regimen is the best I've been able to come up with.

uslexus

Reaction score
I don't want to burst your bubble, but it is a fake shirt. I used to sell on eBay and know many of the different suppliers who sell this stuff. You can tell by the poor looking construction of the collar and I believe the true retail on this shouldbe 275 not 225.

Stick with RLPL## or something along those lines. Their stuff is legitimate.

Good luck

dare-

Reaction score
that's fake

poly bag, purple sizing label

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dare-
that's fake

poly bag, purple sizing label

Seriously? A purple sizing label is a giveaway that it is fake? That is good to know. I checked all my RLPL polos and other shirts I've bought from Ebay and they all have a white sizing label, thick MOP buttons and a purple brand label in the yoke.

uslexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Seriously? A purple sizing label is a giveaway that it is fake? That is good to know. I checked all my RLPL polos and other shirts I've bought from Ebay and they all have a white sizing label, thick MOP buttons and a purple brand label in the yoke.

Good point, I just checked mine as well and that is another good thing. About the other link that was recently posted, it appears to be real but would need a close up of the tags. Recently the big thing has been fakes of the Purple Label not fakes of regular Polo shirts, but they are still out there in huge numbers. Ask the seller for a close up of the tags if you are unsure. Also, does the seller have a whole bunch listed? If this is his/her only one then it more than likely is real. The authentic sellers, about 50%, buy overstock from macys & bloomingdales so they have a wide range of items.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Roger -

Thank you very much for the sizing guide! I will certainly use that in the future; I am sure my wife can help me do it.

About the e-bay shirts, I e-mailed the seller to inquire about the item's authenticity and he said "my wholesaler says the are authentic, but if you are not satisfied you can send it back" - translated: I am a nice guy, but I have no problem selling you a fake shirt.......I should know my fakes better, I lived in Thailand and Hong Kong for years, but unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with RLPL to usually tell.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amirrorcrackd
And how slim will it fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:WNA:US:12

Thanks,

Dan

Don't bid on it, I think it's fake.
devil.gif
just kidding... sort of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads