• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rlpl dress shirts worth it?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes a rlpl shirt worth $465 or about $350 after sale?

Nice fabrics but no handwork that I can see.

Any rlpl shirt fans care to elaborate?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I don't like the buttons... and they're very large for the most part.

For the record, I love purple label... just not the shirts.

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several RLPL shirts and can honestly say that I don't see the fuss. I picked mine up at outlet for about $50 each, and unless they are now making direct-to-outlet RLPL (I'm fairly certain that they're not) they are no better than most shirts out there. The collars and cuffs are fused and the body is oversized in most cases.

Personally I find that my T M Lewin shirts stand up much better to wear over 1+ Years than RLPL. Don't get me wrong, I believe their suits and outwear are justifiable at sale-price, but I would say that if you're spending any more than $100 per shirt you could be getting a much better deal by buying something without the branding.

In the interest of science

I have just compared my RLPL shirts to those from Lewin, Hugo Boss (Black Line) and some Thomas Mason for Chester Barrie (Savile Row tailors). Personally I rank:

1. Lewin Shirts - the non-fused collars and cuffs combined with a total purchase price of £35 each makes them the best deal. most resilient to washing and ironing, and while not as crease resistant, the simple fact that I can buy 8 new shirts every 6 months for the price of just one of the other brands makes them a hands-down winner.

2. Thomas Mason for Chester Barrie - More expensive at £85 per shirt but probably worth it in terms of long-term wear. The seams feel stronger and the collars and cuffs remain stiff after repeated washings. They hold their shape well, and can be easily tailored. Very limited distribution network, I got all of mine from the shop in Savile Row when picking up some new suits.

3. RLPL - Some very fine fabrics that feel nice against the skin, though the close weave makes them crease easily. Single needle stitch on the side seams is a nice touch, but fabric is unforgiving - example: I could take a photo right now of a freshly iron double cuff and the fold-back crease would be clearly visible. Maybe this helps with the fold but personally, I like my shirts to feel a little more crisp than I'm able to achieve with normal RLPL.

4. BOSS Black - Mass produced, with fused collars and cuffs, very thin fabrics and a tendency to fade within about 6 washes. Great if you get bored of your shirts after 3 months, not so much if you are looking for a shirt you can wear 52 times a year.

Everything I state here should be taken with a pinch of salt; I have worked for each of these brands at one time or another in my career, and it is possible that seeing production methods, handling products that have been returned and simply growing accustomed to high-priced goods has given me a skewed viewpoint. Please don't take my word as gospel, but maybe consider starting at a lower price point and moving up until you can't see an improvement rather than starting at the top and moving down until you can't stand the poor quality.

UncleCozy

Reaction score
MiE -> T&A

MiI -> Lorenzini

matt1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
there are better shirts out there better than rl even cheaper.

Francisco

Reaction score
I trust a Finamore, Borrelli, Truzzi or Barba can beat it at any time. Not worth at even sales price, perhaps $50 yes..

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have 3 or 4 RLPL shirts. Wearing one right now, actually. Got all of them for no more than $75. At that price point they have some very nice fabrics. However, if you're looking for a beater shirt I'd look elsewhere.

IMHO, if you're even entertaining the idea of a $300+ shirt, you're better off going bespoke or MTM. You'll get a much better fit and at that price point likely have access to similar (if not better) fabrics.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purple Label shirts are rubbish for a healthy build person, however there are very durable fabric so I don't understand why some think they are very fine, they are indeed a slight step up from your Tomas Mohan stuff

sridhar3

Reaction score
I trust a Finamore, Borrelli, Truzzi or Barba can beat it at any time. Not worth at even sales price, perhaps $50 yes..

Agree. You could spend a whole lot less and get great quality from RTW Borelli/Barba/Finamore from Virtual Clothes Horse, Shop the Finest, etc.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purple Label shirts are rubbish for a healthy build person, however there are very durable fabric so I don't understand why some think they are very fine, they are indeed a slight step up from your Tomas Mohan stuff

I simply find that they are thinner than TM et al; they are very high quality and strong, just not as dense as the others. This is very much a personal preference as I prefer my shirts to have a bit of heft, rather than to float over the skin. In terms of their durability and longevity, there is certainly nothing to complain about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads