• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RLPL Custom fit Suit V RLPL non custom fit suit

bjm

Reaction score
My woodbury blowout RLPL DB suit arrived yesterday and it is really superb and the 44R is a very good fit.

One thing I noticed is that under the Purple Label Ralph Lauren tag on the inside pocket is a smaller purple label with the words "custom fit" . None of my other RLPL suits have this "custom fit" tag.

Are there 2 different quality RLPL suits out there? Thanks

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not familiar with the difference in PL suits, but in reguard to most RL merchandise:
its got nothing to do with quality, but "custom fit" is slimmer.

same as "slim fit"

bjm

Reaction score
Thanks. I like the cut alot.

Originally Posted by bry2000
same quality. Trimmer cut, less shoulder padding.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
perhaps it was a rejected MTM or one that was never picked up?

bjm

Reaction score
I called the RL store in Manhattan and asked them about it. The custom fit refers to a narrower fit in Jacket and pants. Thats it, everything else is indeed the same. The SA said that the custom fit RLPL are quite rare as it was only an option on 2 suit models.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting.
I learn something new everyday.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bry2000
RLPL is really excellent. Though I am not that crazy about the extended, padded shoulder.

The shoulder padding is very minimal for RLPL and extends only slightly beyond the natural shoulder line.

On the other hand, RLBlackL's shoulder has a lot more padding, extending noticeably beyond the natural shoulder. It fits those with less strong shoulders better. I had enjoyed the pain of tailoring to make RLBL shoulders fit.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the other "custom fit" model is the one I picked up during the original woodbury feeding frenzy - a charcoal grey 3-piece two button, single-breasted heavy flannel pinstriped suit for RLPL.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick picture,needs to be taken to tailor,my shoulder is sloppy so it is bunching,plus I think the jacket is too short so I am not sure I am going to keep it.It does say custom fit inside the jacket so it is slim,unusual for RLPL.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Looks pretty damned good, in my opinion. Maybe it could stand to be a little longer, but it's perfectly nice as is. I don't see anything wrong with the shoulder.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40