• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RLP Purple Label suit

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My eBay saved search turned something up this morning. What do you gents think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....MEWA:IT I'm concerned about "heavy weight" (although we have only two seasons here: winter and 3 months of bad sledding); also I think I'd rather have chalk stripe instead of the blue/grey alternate.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I think it's a Polo suit with a purple label.  But not a Purple Label suit.  But I don't really know anything.

I also think it has a very low gorge and very high notches in the lapel making it look heavy toward the bottom.

Dan

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I also think it has a very low gorge and very high notches in the lapel making it look heavy toward the bottom.
The high notches in the lapels are what is referred to as a 'high gorge' (this term confused me initially as well). What you are referring to as being low is the 'button stance', and I think that is a problem with the way it is buttoned up badly and to the bottom button. Chances are, it is cut much like any other Polo suit, possibly more toward the PL style. Probably a nice suit.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it a Chester Barrie then?

koji
It's been some time since I've seen one, but I'm 99% sure that they are made in the US like the early RL Collection suits (blue label, "Ralph Lauren" in script." Those purple labeled Polo suits are even older I think though.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an early made-in-USA Purple Label suit. It has a purple tag in the collar that says "Ralph Lauren" in script and "made in USA" in block letters. I've never seen an RLPL with a "Polo" tag--those sound nearly like prototypes or betas.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.