• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLBL vs. Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald Suits

GQBaller

Reaction score
I've done a lot of research on slimmer cut suits and come to the conclusion that Black Label and Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suits will fit me the best. To all of you members who have had experience with both lines, which do you prefer? (In terms of construction, fabric selections, and overall fit)

Keroberos

Reaction score
I can predict which way this is going. I'll be shocked if anyone votes for Fitzgerald.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nest.gif

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQBaller
I've done a lot of research on slimmer cut suits and come to the conclusion that Black Label and Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suits will fit me the best.

To all of you members who have had experience with both lines, which do you prefer? (In terms of construction, fabric selections, and overall fit)

I think we are not comparing items of the same level, BB Fitz is like 1/3, maybe 1/2, of the cost of RLBL......not exactly apple to apple.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WeigtingApplesAndOranges_3.jpg

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLBL is better in almost all areas in my opinion - certainly in construction and probably fabric. Even though BB Fitz is slim cut it will come across as more conservative. In terms of price, the BLs are more at full retail, but can be found on sale on a fairly regular basis, getting them down into the $500 range (or lower if you get lucky.)

oaw01

Reaction score
BB is inferior to RLBL in anyway. Actually, you can compare BB to the M Valentino suits from ebay - that would be a fair comparison.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's like apples and rotten apples.

oaw01

Reaction score
BB is a step above Banana Republic. They do have nice coats/jackets

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured I would respond with an actually constructive post.

I own both and I think it's an unfair comparison. They are at completely different price points at full retail and thus are constructed so.

RLBL is full canvas, BB Fitz is half. I will say that it boils down to personal preference as far as cut/fit. The BB Fitz is more conservative, only relative to RLBL.

The key stylistic differences are Fitz has softer shoulders, and a higher buttoning point. RLBL has roped shoulders and a lowish buttoning point. Gorge height and lapel width are pretty much the same. Trousers are cut pretty much the same. The Fitz trousers are as slim as my RLBL. OTR the Fitz will not feature as much waist suppression, but this is easily a non issue as BB's in house or your tailor can take the waist in as I did on mine.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to who voted for the Fitz and why. Is it a value for the money thing (at least at full retail), or you like the cut better, or think it is a better suit in general. I own both and think RL is a cut above, especially in construction, but I still like the Fitz for what it is.

auto90403

Reaction score
One, I don't consider RL a good value. Yes, if I saw one at a huge discount. But I don't have time to hunt around or wait.

In general, I think RL is grossly overpriced on pretty much everything. At the higher end of OTR, I don't get why customers don't simply do MTM and really get their money's worth.

Two, I prefer BB's cut. A personal thing.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
One, I don't consider RL a good value. Yes, if I saw one at a huge discount. But I don't have time to hunt around or wait.

In general, I think RL is grossly overpriced on pretty much everything. At the higher end of OTR, I don't get why customers don't simply do MTM and really get their money's worth.

Two, I prefer BB's cut. A personal thing.

you perhaps only experienced Blue label/POLO.

brooks is stodgy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads