1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RLBL Suit Price

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cgurr, Jan 13, 2012.

1. cgurr

cgurr Active Member

How so? I hate these stupid rules,

2. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

3. cgurr

cgurr Active Member

Yea mixed reviews. I'm sure a lot of people don't wear black in business but like one person said...why? As long as you add some color to it and not look like a drab I say why not. That's like saying a rolex submariner can't be worn with a suit. I just never understood these rules. If it looks good it looks good.

4. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

meh not a fan of black, the harsh contrast is to much for me to like it.

5. cgurr

cgurr Active Member

Also, can anybody else confirm that RL stores will source suits from other stores? I'll call tomorrow but I just wanted to check here first. I already bought the black as I need a black anyway. As I have no black this purchase can be justified as I might have to go to some nice events??:D

6. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

Confirmed. They will do this if you ask them to and aren't dealing with a crazy SA.

7. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

+1 hard to wear anything with black

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

And black suits worn during the day-time do not look good.

9. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Only other thing I'll say about black is that it's probably the easiest of any suit color to break up and wear the trousers and jacket separately. I almost bought a black Hickey suit a while back for this purpose alone; I wanted a black blazer to wear casually and figured I could always find use for a pair of black trousers.

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Plain black odd trousers are an abomination. Black trousers should only be worn if they have some sort of interest to them, like they're cords or velvet or something.

11. TimelesStyle

How come? I think there are certain sport coats which go best with a plain black trouser, such as those with shades of grey and black that are too busy to be worn with anything but a plain trouser and wouldn't stand out against anything but black. And of course for a less formal environment I could see throwing them on with a sweater every so often.

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Traditionally men left black for their evening wear. Im not a fan of these rules either however with a black suit it does make sense because if you just try on a bunch of shit/tie/shoe combos in a store with a black suit it does not look as visually pleasing as midnight navy or dark charcoal.

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

I think PL has a much softer shoulder than BL, but this is just from personal experience with ones i got to try on, might have been a special model or what not..

14. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

It's not really about softness. They both have structured, roped shoulders. However, Black Label tends to have more structure and extension than purple label. They're both nice shoulders.

Here's a picture for comparison. However, these are almost identical.

This is a purple label sport coat made by Caruso (however, this is not a typical Purple Label shoulder):

[​IMG]

This is a black label sport coat made by Caruso:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  15. TimelesStyle

The reason, in my opinion, that the BL suits appear to have a stronger shoulder is the increased waist suppression on those suits. The more pronounced "V" silhouette will make the shoulder appear stronger. If one has the waist area of a PL jacket taken in to BL standards I would imagine you'd get a similar affect.

16. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

What about the PL made by St. Andrews?

17. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

They're now all made by Caruso, but I think they had (under St. Andrews) and currently have less structure as I believe most of the Caruso made purple label suits are very similar to the St. Andrews ones. I have one of the less structured purple label sport coats (still needs to be tailored) but it's not with me right now. I'll check the shoulders and report back sometime soon (if I remember to :embar:). I think the one pictured above is an exception.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I was not a big fan of the shoulders on the RLBL suit I had.

If you are patient, you will find the suit you want. I had to wait/look around for a couple of months, but I was able to get a recent Isaia base S solid navy suit for under $350 (pre-owned, but absolutely no signs of wear)

19. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

TBH if you asked me to guess which one was PL and which one was BL i would not be able to tell with the two you posted up. Btw im loving the pants in both of those outfits. The first one especially.

20. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

$700 looks pretty reasonable given its RLBL