• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLBL Suit Critique - Pictures

KaiserSose

Reaction score
So I was fortunate enough to happen upon a RLBL suit for $560. This is my first real suit so I don't know much about how things are supposed to fit. Please be very open with your critiques both of the fit and the style. I plan to get some things adjusted. The camera is not very great so just in case there is confusion it is charcoal with very faint white stripes.

Once again please ignore my fat neck.

RLBLSuit004.jpg

RLBLSuit003.jpg

RLBLSuit005.jpg

RLBLSuit007.jpg

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd bit of tugging at that top button, and a little of the same at the bottom button. It looks like it might be a bit tight on your waist - especially at the top of your gut. Maybe you can have it let out a tad. To my eye, it looks good on your shoulders, chest and arms.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it drapes a little oddly around the chest, pulling away from the neck. Left shoulder doesn't fit right, but only off by a bit. Otherwise a good fit. Undo the bottom button.

Pylon

Reaction score
+1 on the undo the bottom button. Rule is: "Sometimes, Always, Never", or "Always, Never" if there are only two buttons.

To me, the sleeves look a tiny bit too long.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I think it drapes a little oddly around the chest, pulling away from the neck. Left shoulder doesn't fit right, but only off by a bit. Otherwise a good fit. Undo the bottom button.

What would cause the draping around the chest... I'm not that familiar with that term. What exactly does that mean?

Ignore the sleeves, those will certainly get altered.

Also when you guys say let it out, what am I letting out?

Please give your comments as if I am a complete noob.. which I am. I want to use your comments to sound somewhat educated at the tailors.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For some reason Black Label suits always have that little bit of extra fabric on the pants right above the knee. It's quite annoying.

Icarium

Reaction score
I'm sure more experienced minds will correct me if I'm wrong - letting out the waist on a double-vented suit usually involves releasing a bit of the darting at the waist and/or the back center seam.

It is always a little hard to tell from pics, but I think they are referring to the way the lapels seem to be pulling off your body a bit. Ideally, the lapels rest on the back of your neck, travel down and across you collar bones, then across your chest to the button. It should lay nice and flat all the way around your neck, collar, and chest. Prefect fit would show no buckling or puckering away from your body of the lapel fabric (of course, lapels would also lay flat on a jacket that is too large... it is a fine balance).

What is your raw chest circuference (taken just under the arms, relaxed posture)?

Anyone think that the tight waist could be affecting the way the lapels are behaving? Perhaps if he let the waist out things might work themselves out... If the chest itself is too small, that would be a different story. RLBL are a little weird as far as the shoulder vs. chest measurement I noticed.

Edit: I wanted to add, perhaps sort of an oblique shot would be good. We can get a better perspective of how the lapel is behaving.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the obvious (sleeves, pants length), the jacket is a bit small in the chest and needs to be "let out". Your tailor will understand. No big deal, nice score for a first suit. Enjoy. You can get pickier later.
Post after you have it altered and we can really tear it up for you.
devil.gif

Icarium

Reaction score
My understanding is that the chest usually cannot be "let out" at all. I thought chest, shoulders, and upper arm fit are all dangerous and/or impossible to alter. Shoulders can be perhaps narrowed if the tailor is very good. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
All, thanks for the comments!

Icarium: The lapels seem to sit pretty flat but maybe I'm missing something.. I will post oblique pictures in a few minutes.

My raw chest is 37" but that number may be kind of deceiving. I have very very large pecks for someone my size (hopefully this doesn't come off as a brag because I thought it may be relevant.

Do you think a good plan of action is to have the sleeves altered / pants adjusted / chest let out (will the tailor know how much?) and then come back for more advice?

There are no problems that can't be fixed with it are there?

Icarium

Reaction score
Like I mentioned, pictures are deceiving. I was just trying to infer what jimmyoneill and irondwill were observing about the lapels. The main thing I do see is the tugging on the top button there. I am not knowledgable enough to tell you if that is due to the chest being too small for you (hard to fix) or if it is the waist (easy to fix). Wait and see what others say... if you know a really good tailor, you could always take the suit there. Point out what you believe may be problems and see what he/she says. I took a suit to Felice Custom Tailoring in San Diego once, and he told me, flat out, "I could take your money, but I won't be able to make this fit." A good tailor cannot be underrated. Edit: 37" chest?? I am 5'10/140lb soaking wet and I have a 37" chest. Your pic makes you look alot bigger than me... although I could be mistaken.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very close to an excellent fit. Let out the waist a little bit to relief some of that tugging. That should also correct the effect that some have noted with the lapels. Also your sleeves are too long. I would guess about an inch, but best to let your tailor help you decide. Make sure to wear your best fitting dress shirt when you go to the tailor. Otherwise I think you made a great purchase. A solid price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads