• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLBL sale predicament... help!

Icarium

Reaction score
The RL store in La Jolla (Southern Cal) is having a sale on a bunch of stuff. I was in there and they had some RLBL suits for about $549. If you're in the area, you may want to give them a call and check for your size.

So that brings me to my predicament, which hopefully people can help with. I am 5'10", 140 lbs (skinny) but in good shape from lifting. The RLBL 36R pulls too much at the waist, and I feel like my deltoids are pressing up against the sleeve too much when buttoned for it to be a proper fit in the shoulders.

So I eyeballed a 38R in navy with a really nice, subtle stripe and just couldn't stop myself from buying it. Really what I need is a 37R, but I've never seen one. Anyway, will the tailor bill on that be so bad that I should just return it? At 549$, it was impossible to resist getting it before they are all gone. The shoulders are about 1/8" to 1/4" too wide on each side. The torso would also need to be reduced somewhat, which is typical for me in other brand's 36R. Finally, the pants would need to have the waist taken in, etc... What do you guys think?

mikej77

Reaction score
At that price it is worth it. I always have to size up in the black labels.

Icarium

Reaction score
For comparison, I also ordered an 1818 Fitz in 36R at about the same price, which fits me perfectly in the shoulders and would only need to have the waist nipped in some. The RLBL is a much better value, but the tailoring result would need to be really good to make me happy. OTR it is slightly too big.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think even with tailoring fees it's still a great value. The only hesitation I would have is if they need to do major shoulder work. Did you ask if they could let out the 36R in the waist?

Icarium

Reaction score
Yeah I actually was just trying on various suits and comparing with this one... I suspect this one is not going to work now that I took a better look. The pants would have to be completely recut, esp given that RLBL has no belt loops. Thighs and seat are just huge. With everything else being slightly big in the jacket, it would be a miracle if it came out of alterations in a passable manner. I suspect RLBL may just not be my cut... unless I get lucky and find a 37R.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they only do even sizes. Bummer
frown.gif
You might want to ask them if the 36 has any fabric to be let out through the waist of the jacket. Worth a shot anyways.

esque

Reaction score
Do you happen to know which suits were on sale?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At my local RL, they had a navy with subtle stripes that were tightly spaced, about 3/8" apart. They had this same style in brown and charcoal.

You might want to call around to the big cities, like NYC, Chicago and Beverly Hills and they can tell you what else was/is on sale and can locate it for you.

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by esque
Do you happen to know which suits were on sale?
They had a very dark chocolate brown with stripes - so dark, in fact, it was hard to tell it was brown with the in-store lighting. They also had charcoal and navy with stripes. The navy suit I bought has alternating stripes... they are not uniform width. The charcoal one is uniform. I do not think any solid color suits are on sale at this time. Edit: I wanted to add that what sartort said is correct. Try some on, and if you want a different color, they will order it in for you. The guy offered to order me in the charcoal-colored one, but I went with navy. Assuming I return this one tomorrow morning, I know for a fact there will be one navy available
smile.gif

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just work out more. im 5 10, 142lbs and i take a 38R

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
just work out more. im 5 10, 142lbs and i take a 38R

Everyone always says that
confused.gif
I worked out just as much in college, in addition to 5-6 hrs of martial arts a week, and I don't think I could have fit into it then. Now I have a job, soooo yeah...

What do you do to the pants, out of curiosity?

My alterations right now would have to be:

Pants: 31"waist to 29" with seat/thigh/leg all resized smaller
Jacket: 0.5" smaller in the shoulder
Chest: not sure
Waist: probably a couple inches smaller

When I grab the top button and pull out, I can easily get 3+" of space between my torso and stomach, which is bad. All this together and I'm thinking I should just give up on the Black Labels.

It's a shame, cause the 36R seemed so close to fitting me, but is just a little too small.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
At that price it is worth it. I always have to size up in the black labels.

This is a good rule of thumb when dealing with Black Label suits and sport coats. Also remember that all Black Label suits are a drop 7 so a 40R will get you a 33" waist.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium
Everyone always says that
confused.gif
I worked out just as much in college, in addition to 5-6 hrs of martial arts a week, and I don't think I could have fit into it then. Now I have a job, soooo yeah...

What do you do to the pants, out of curiosity?

My alterations right now would have to be:

Pants: 31"waist to 29" with seat/thigh/leg all resized smaller
Jacket: 0.5" smaller in the shoulder
Chest: not sure
Waist: probably a couple inches smaller

When I grab the top button and pull out, I can easily get 3+" of space between my torso and stomach, which is bad. All this together and I'm thinking I should just give up on the Black Labels.

It's a shame, cause the 36R seemed so close to fitting me, but is just a little too small.

I wouldn't touch the shoulders.You need a really good tailor for that and good tailors charge a lot.I would go with 36 and try to take it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads