RLBL - Installing Working Buttonholes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by silvercitynyc, May 31, 2012.

1. silvercitynyc

silvercitynyc Senior member

Not sure you're referring to my recent bespoke or browne78's....

I guess the RLBL buttons just didn't seem to have any character to them - just like plain solid dark color.

2. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

You may not want much distinguished character on buttons for a suit (perhaps that is more applicable to a sport coat). Based on my own, the buttons of your new suit should be horn & well polished, definitely not plastic-y looking. I'd say they're not really worth changing, but it's up to you. I was referring to your recent bespoke with Rudolf.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  3. silvercitynyc

No -- totally agree on the subtlety of suit buttons, but they did seem to look a bit "plasticy", honestly...

I don't have a bespoke suit from Rudolf.

4. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

My sincere apologies. I have just mindfucked myself, for some reason.

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

6. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

You're not very logical.

7. silvercitynyc

What's with all the hate on installing buttonholes on a RTW jacket? It's not blasphemy.

Here are my thoughts... If the jacket isn't already a "glove-like" fit, then of course it looks odd to have an oversized jacket that looks like crap with functioning buttonholes -- it looks "chintzy/cheap"...

However, if the RTW jacket essentially fits and looks custom or well-done MTM (i.e., it is an extremely good fit), then I really don't see anything wrong with installing working buttonholes.

Whether or not those buttonholes can be done well, is a completely different question.

8. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Surgeon's cuff and functional lapel buttonholes are usually associated with bespoke or high end MTM, but has become much more common these days on cheap RTW suits by guys trying too hard. Recently I did notice surgeon's cuffs on a fellow's suit, it was a cheap suit from either BR or Club Monaco, I almost laughed in front of him, pimping out a beater suit. Money would have been better spent moving up the quality chain to go from BR/Club Monaco crap to a canvassed suit like a Samuelson or BB.

9. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

If you want to do it, and dont mind spending the $, go for it.

If you are asking the forum's opinion if its necessary - it really isn't, and no one on the forum would think you a fool for not doing it.

If the jacket looks as great on you as you say it does - then this issue will probably never come up

10. silvercitynyc

Note that I'm obviously holding my iPhone, so it's not going to let my shoulders sit as they would if standing normally.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

LS Men's Clothing in NYC will do working buttonholes on MTM suits, but they only charge like $30 extra (per jacket, not per hole). I believe they send them out to a buttonhole maker in the City somewhere, but I'm not sure who that is. They will likely not do it for a suit not purchased there, but the point is that, if you know where to go, it isn't that expensive.

12. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Looks a tad big near the shoulders, and sleeves look a bit long - maybe just because of the holding of the phone..

Anyway, irregardless of fitting - the buttons would add very minimal value to the suit. I wouldn't want to do it because I would be a bit afraid of the outcome not being EXACTLY what I envision.

13. silvercitynyc

Agree on abstaining from the buttonhole conversion -- if it gets screwed up, there's no turning back...I decided I'm going to keep the jacket as-is.

On the fit, the sleeves are long, as it is just OTR. All I want to do is bring in the waist a bit on the jacket, correct the sleeve cuff length and get the pants hemmed. That's it..

By the way, seriously considering no-cuff on the pants for RLBL (with side-tabs). Is this a complete no-no?

14. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

From what I see, read and hear it is recommended to cuff. Although I prefer not too, makes you look shorter, and on flat front/slimmer pants can sometimes looks silly.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  15. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I'd hold off on the working button holes man. The examples I've seen on this forum, although probably biased, when it's been altered is usually a real horror show. RLBL is a nice, slim, fully canvassed suit so you should enjoy it as is. Getting better buttons is not a problem though.