• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLBL and other random questions

pingsc

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a 23yo thinking about buying my first suit. I would like a quality one that I will be able to wear well into the future. Style-wise, does the RLBL Garbardine have any sort of longevity or is it simply what is in vogue right now? I ask because I have a slim-atheletic build (I'm a shade under 5'9, 130 lbs, 17.25in across the shoulders, 36in around the chest, and 29in around the waist). From what I've read on the forum it sounds like the RLBL would be well suited to my build, but I don't want to blow $1,000+ on a faddish suit. Secondly, assuming that RLBL is a worthwhile buy, does anyone know of a place in the Louisville, KY area that would retail them and I also would like recommendations on a decent tailor in the Louisville area.

Onto my next random question: I've read about a company called uniqlo, I checked out their prices and they seem absurdly cheap. Does anyone have any experience with the fit/quality of their clothes?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

36R black mini-herringbone and another, black with creme pinstripe available for about $500 available from B&S, what say you?

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is significant resistance on this forum to black suits.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd make sure you try on the RLBL somewhere before you buy. No idea if you have access nearby, but if you can't try it on, make sure you have the time and means to do a return/refund if the fit is not good. Based on your measurements, it sounds like your shoulders might be a bit too narrow to properly fill the RLBL silhouette, but it's worth a shot if you've got the bankroll.

What other brands have you tried? There's lots more out there besides RLBL if you have $1000+ to spend.

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
I think most people will say the Black Label look is trendy and it is in the sense that it's the look GQ, Details and other mens magazines are pushing. But I don't think it's specific of a cut like 4+ button 60's suit or a huge padded shoulder low gorge 80's suit. My suggestion would be to try it on the store and see how you feel.

I bought a Black Label suit and a Blue Label suit last seasons and now realize my preference is for Blue Label. I find the fit of the Black Label suit to be fussy. It's quite fitted and I find that I'm alway conscious of the jacket (not in a good way). In a world that tailored suited dressing has been on the decline I would much rather be dressed in clothes that feel like second skin; something I don't have be concerned with. The Blue Label suit pants needed to be slimmed, but I found the jacket perfect as is.

pingsc

Reaction score
Once again I appreciate the replies. I'm not necessarily married to the idea of RLBL as a brand, it is more that I have experienced quite a bit of frustration in finding jackets/blazers that actually fit well (most that fit in the shoulder/chest area appear boxy in the waist and are unflattering in the extreme). If there other brands that are suitable for skinny people OTR, I'm definitely interested.

@furo, it's interesting that you think my shoulders might be too narrow for the BL silhouette; the measurements that I ran across in the B&S forum would seem to indicate the opposite. In any case I'm definitely not going to be buying anything without trying it on first (haven't had time to do much more than browse the internet with work lately, but I've got a long weekend coming up so I'll try to bang out some fittings then).

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not really athletic. You're just smaller. A drop 7 shouldn't be pushing things at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads