• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RL shirt fading ??

hotspur

Reaction score
I bought a couple Ralph Lauren Gingham shirts at the beginning of the summer. Two washes later the shirt is covered in tanish faded spots, especially around the neck area and on the back. Where the collar folds is completely white. I'm not sure if this looks cool and vintage or what... Am I dont something wrong or is Ralph Lauren just crap? The detergent I use is tide color safe with bleach alternative.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe its the bleach alternative? just guessing, can't say for sure.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a washing issue.

FWIW I use the shortest day cycle possible on my machine, very little colour safe detergent, no tumble dry.
Even then will still get a bit of fade on solid coloured shirts after a few washes.

HTH

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have many ralph lauren shirts and I've found the dye used in em to hold up very well. I always wash on the shortest cycle with cold water and cold rinse. Then I use the lowest heat setting when I dry em seems to work fairly well and my shirts usually stay in pretty good shape. The detergent I use is some cheap stuff I buy from sams club that comes in a big ass bucket.

what settings are you using when you wash em?

hotspur

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the fading in terms of appearance. Can I still wear these shirts? I guess its kind of like distressed jeans, but then I don't wear those either. I can't afford to replace these shirts right now, but some of the spots look bad... like I spilled some sort of tan colored crap on myself.

And is there any reason the crease in the collar is especially faded? It's like perfect... all the way around, and a consistent width of fade along the crease.

ozonemania

Reaction score
It's possible that your sweat reacted with the dye in the shirt. If not sweat, it could be cosmetics, hair products, body oils.

I have had a couple of shirts (both of them blue as a matter of fact), where the colour around the collar changed or faded. They were not bleached, no harsh detergents, and were washed cold and line dried.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's