• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rl rugby university chinos

TalkTalk

Reaction score
Hey,

These university chinos are on sale at the Rugby website
http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?...goryId=3138682

They're labeled as slim, but I've never worn anything by rugby. Anyone know the deal with these?

Anyone know how they compare to the j crew vintage slim chinos (which is what i normally get)?

The rugby ones are selling for cheaper right now so i'd probably buy them if they're comparable to jcrew's. I'm not really a fan of how jcrew pre-frays the bottoms of their chinos anyway, but they're the most reasonably priced slim chinos I've been able to find in my area/online.

Thanks everybody!

uwsmuseumguy

Reaction score
they're tapered pretty dramatically through the calf and ankle. most of their pants are pretty tough for those with all but the slightest builds.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think J Crew prefrays the bottom of their "Essential Chinos", as opposed to their "Broken-in Chinos." Correct me if I'm wrong?

Also: Doesn't look like it's on sale to me? Or do you mean IRL?

SwedishFish

Reaction score
I'm a 32x34 and I find that the Rugby University Chinos fit slimmer than my J Crew essential chinos. I should add that my J Crews are from a couple of years ago--the current model might be cut slimmer...
In terms of pre-distressing, I much prefer the Rugbys to my J Crew broken-ins as the distressing is gentler.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jcrew essential chinos are very clean cut. On the other hand, their broken in are a little worn looking. I assume they have something in between. If you get Jcrew's classic fit they fit great.

Lysol

Reaction score
Rugby chinos are pretty darn slim but they look odd. I'm a pretty thin dude but they made ****** look huge cuz they have such a dramatic taper from the mid-thigh down. I would say they're more "skinny" than "slim" which in my opinion, is a negative. I like the J. Crew "Classic-fit Chinos" for a slim, affordable chino. They're a lot more adult looking.

I swear by Rugby OCBDs but almost everything else makes you look kid-ish.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
I swear by Rugby OCBDs but almost everything else makes you look kid-ish.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
@Lysol: I wanted to ask how you find that Rugby's oxfords fit? If they have a tailored fit similar to the regular Polo oxfords, they'd be a great deal... do they? Thanks.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwedishFish
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
@Lysol: I wanted to ask how you find that Rugby's oxfords fit? If they have a tailored fit similar to the regular Polo oxfords, they'd be a great deal... do they? Thanks.

They're even more slim than Polo custom-fit. I find that a lot of the custom-fit Polo stuff still needs to be tailored to be actually 'slim' or 'tailored' like they claim. Band Of Outsiders is really the best point of reference to the fit of the Rugby OCBDs if you adjust for sizing (I wear a Medium in BoO but a Small in Rugby / most other brands) but not as slim, short, or Lego man looking as BoO.

Quality is the same as Polo oxfords and no pony on the chest.

turnbull12

Reaction score
Threat re-hijacked. Back to the original question - how do the Rugby university chinos compare to the regular Polo slim-fit or custom-fit chinos? I have two pairs of those, which fit loose in the thigh and tighter in calf. Are they a similar cut, or are they different?

converge

Reaction score
Re-hijack: Does Rugby make extra-smalls in anything?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics