• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL "regent"? "andrew"? "yarmouth"?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While looking for oxford shirts at Filenes Basement, I saw dress shirts by Polo with these different names... what are they? various cuts? various lines? What's the difference (all seemed to be the same price)?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Various cuts. The Yarmouth is huge and has soft buttondown collar. The Andrew is medium-big. The Regent is medium-close cut. The Phillip is relatively slim (we recommend this as a good cheap semi-slim dress shirt, usually $30 or so at Marshalls/FB/TJM). There are a few others. "Custom" is one, I think that's similar to Regent.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Various cuts. The Yarmouth is huge and has soft buttondown collar. The Andrew is medium-big. The Regent is medium-close cut. The Phillip is relatively slim (we recommend this as a good cheap semi-slim dress shirt, usually $30 or so at Marshalls/FB/TJM). There are a few others. "Custom" is one, I think that's similar to Regent.

Actually, RL makes a custom fit for all their dress shirt lines.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Actually, RL makes a custom fit for all their dress shirt lines.
Okay, I was never clear on how they use the term "Custom" since it doesn't seem to correspond to a certain cut and obviously it's not used in the dictionary definition. Can you expand on that? I'm talking about the shirts you find at stores that say "custom fit", not something you could order online, to be clear.

tancredi

Reaction score
I have a RL shirt labelled custom fit, it is a close fitting shirt, as the regent is. I don't know what the difference is.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Okay, I was never clear on how they use the term "Custom" since it doesn't seem to correspond to a certain cut and obviously it's not used in the dictionary definition. Can you expand on that? I'm talking about the shirts you find at stores that say "custom fit", not something you could order online, to be clear.

i.e. they have a custom fit regent and a classic fit regent. i don't think you can tell by the tag on the shirt, but the hanging tag should say what cut it is. right now on their website they don't have many variations but earlier in the summer they had a lot more selection.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

sorry to dredge up an old thread, but do these cut-breakdowns apply also to Polo pants? Specifically, will Philip khakis be slim (or slimish)?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
sorry to dredge up an old thread, but do these cut-breakdowns apply also to Polo pants? Specifically, will Philip khakis be slim (or slimish)?

I think the Regent pants are the slimmest fitting polo blue label pant, with the RLPL stuff being slightly slimmer. I have some slim Polo khaki's but they did not have the model names but they fit very similar to my Regent wool models.

JO3B

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the names referred more to the collar stylr then the actual fit of the shirt itself.

I know regent collars are more of a spread with the collar stays while as far as I know the others do not?

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Yeah I know, the thread's six years old, which is the idea: any new joiners have info on these PRL names, the shirts especially? Any been axed, any added? (And type real slow pls. I am old and cannot read too fast.)

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure these names actually are for the collar and not just the cut.

i've seen regent, philip and andrew recently. i cant remember the last time i've seen a yarmouth. i have a couple of them but i dont think they use it as a trade name anymore.

i think the estate is the most popular PRL dress shirt right now.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Interesting, the estate wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread. Describe that one, pretty please.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the most regular shirt collar in the world.

just a regular old medium spread collar
looking in my closet i mostly see Curhams. These are also a medium spread. i haven't seen this for a while though.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
Interesting, the estate wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread. Describe that one, pretty please.

2.25" spread collar w/ a sewn in interlining. The collar is sort of like the mid-point between Blue Label and Black Label. I love it, especially sans tie. In terms of fit, I think all the Blue Label custom fit shirts have the same body and sleeve measurements these days (which is to say, pretty slim).

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow............so much mis-information in one thread. I'll help out here.

Estate, Regent, Andrew, Curham, etc. are collar shapes (in the order of most spread to narrow). Their shirts only come in custom or classic fit.

Capiche?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads