• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Redding, Redding II and Halvard Boots

mg428

Reaction score
It seems that, per what you said regarding the sole stitching, everything is the same except the sole. And 99% mine is Redding I and yours is Redding II. What do you think?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think your soles are channeled not stitched aloft and I think we need some more pictures if you want to get anywhere in this discussion. If not, they're your boots.

Let me add that I'm personally curious about them and I'd appreciate seeing pictures of the sides and the writing on the inside. But really its none of my business and if you don't want to post them, that's totally up to you. I don't want to impose or appear presumptuous.

ACDoyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Are you sure those aren't made by EG? can we have pictures of the rest of the shoe and the box?

The heel nail pattern looks like CJ, though the writing is different to the usual CJ offerings from RL

mg428

Reaction score
After I uploaded the new photos, a question came to my mind:

C&J last numbers are written inside the Brooks Peal shoes made by C&J, right?

Doesn't it also write inside the RL shoes made by C&J for RL? The numbers written inside of these boots are not the typical 3 digit last numbers on C&J.

BTW, as to the difference between Redding I and II, I have an important thing to say: I don't know whether stiching aloft is a plus or something but, as far as I remember from Redding II owners' comments, the writing inside the Redding II boots on the heel part is "Polo Ralph Lauren", along with a man depicting the polo game; not a simple writing of "Ralph Lauren". You might say whether such difference has any significance. I don't know whether the case in Polo Stanton would be true for all Ralph Lauren shoes but here is the thing: I purchased both the black and dark brown Polo Stanton shoes. Although they are not Purple Lable, they come in a purple box. Everything else is the same, except 1) their drawstring bags are different 2) the writing inside the shoes on the heel part are different. The black one has "Ralph Lauren", the dark brown has "Polo Ralph Lauren". I observed two differences between the black Stanton and dark brown Stanton. First, the shoe laces of the black one is quite substantial than those of the dark brown's. Second, their leather quality seems to be the same. They are both not that great. They creased easily, but not that much unbearable. However, there is something further interesting with the dark brown one. When you wear the pair and walk, a plasticy voice comes when you step forward. My girlfriend noticed this. Incredible but this does not exist in the black one.

Shortly, considering the difference between the shoe laces and the voice that comes when you take a step, I would say the black Stanton, which has the simple "Ralph Lauren" writing inside the shoes, is slightly better than the dark brown Stanton, which has the "Polo Ralph Lauren" writing inside the shoes along with the depiction of a man on a horse playing the polo game.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. They're definitely C&J. I wonder whether they were made for a different market, and hence the different branding?

mg428

Reaction score
Grimslade:

1) Considering that you previously mentioned that, as far as you know, the difference between Redding I and II is one's sole is stitched aloft whereas the other's not, why don't you think that may be the one I have is Redding I and think instead that it is manufactured for another market?

(BTW, apart from whether it is Redding I or II, as to what "Halvard" is, if GVH had sent me the correct box, we might have found a definitive answer.)

2) What are the numbers inside my boots represent? Which one of them is the last number? Do the RL shoes made by C&J include C&J's last number likewise the Peal shoes made by C&J for Brooks?

Thanks.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked up my order history on the RL website and it shows that I bought the Redding boot and links me to the one currently on the site. My shoebox is labeled Black Dress Redding II. The boot itself has a double leather channeled sole. The inside markings are ALM60961 (matching the code on the box) and 1183381/49857. The hallmarks on the footbed are Polo, the logo, Ralph Lauren, Bench Made in England.

I hope this helps satisfy your curiosity.

mg428

Reaction score
Thanks. In fact I provided those photos per the request of Grimslade.

My numbers and yours do not match. I don't need to know whether it is Redding I or II or whatever. I cannot say anything about the box, because I received a different box.

I am just curios to know whether RL shoes made by C&J include C&J's last numbers. I know such numbers are indicated on Brooks' Peal shoes made by C&J. If so, which number you provided include the last number.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the last number would ostensibly be 338 from the numbers, but I sent those to C&J and they said 337 and it is essentially the Cowdray.

An email to C&J with the numbers from you boots should get you some answers.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
C&J shoes made for RL do not have the last numbers written on the shoes. Neither, for that matter, do those made for Barney's, IIRC.

The thing that intrigues me about your boots is that they say "Ralph Lauren," rather than "Polo" on the sole. But perhaps I'm reading too much into that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads