• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Redding, Redding II and Halvard Boots

mg428

Reaction score
I have just purchased a pair of men's RL boots from GVH. The model name of it is "Halvard" though the image belongs to Reeding II.

The thing is that in some previous threads I found out that there was a Reeding before Reeding II, though I could not find any image/photo of Reeding. Another thing which confused me is that the boots I found on RL's website are described as "Redding Calfskin Boot" and not as Redding II or Redding II Calfskin Boot or whatsoever, although the image shown on RL's website exactly match with the photos of Redding II. (http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=search)

As to the "Halvard" boots, it has been indicated in the previous threads that nobody knows about this shoe, although the image on GVH's website belongs to Redding II.

Anyhow, my question is: So far has anybody purchased RL Halvard boots from GVH and did they turn out to be Redding or Redding II? And any info clarifying whether there really exists a Redding (I) and is it significantly different from Redding II?

Thanks!

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Redding II came from the RL website. I have never seen a "Redding" listed anywhere. In respose to your PM, the boots are labeled as a US D width, but do feel narrower.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe the Reddings had soles stitched aloft. Not sure whether there were other differences. Don't know about the Halvard. I'm wearing my Redding IIs today. They are a trifle narrow.

mg428

Reaction score
Thank you guys. I will see what this mysterious Halvard is very soon and let you know.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Thank you guys. I will see what this mysterious Halvard is very soon and let you know.

Please report back!

mg428

Reaction score
It turned out to be a Redding II, as seen currently on RL's website.

It came in a RL box, with drawstring bags. However, IMHO, there is no thing like "Halvard", because the label on the box is created by GVH and on which "Halvard" is handwritten. You can see the original label underneath, which belongs to "Malvern", the link of which is below:

http://stores.grapevinehill.com/Ite...ren 'Malvern' Casual Hiker Boots Mens - Black

I also received 10 instead of 10.5. The pair is obviously worn before, though the leather is not creased so much. I have not decided whether or not I will keep it.

mg428

Reaction score
I don't know which sole is associated with Redding and Redding II or whether there should be any association with these different soles but the boots I received has a leather sole on which "Ralph Lauren Made in England" is written.

I see that the very same boots with a leather sole on which only "Polo" is written in a thread at Ask Andy.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...hlight=redding

Could someone confirm which one is Redding and which one is Redding II in respect of different indication on the soles?

Thanks!

Albert60

Reaction score
I own Redding I and IIs in black. The only difference I can tell is the Redding I is single soled and Redding II is double soled. [Possibly I and II refers to single or double soled? If not, at least a heuristic for remembering] I wear the Redding IIs for casual, usually with denim and the Redding I's for dress.

Really superb boots. I wear them often. The last is very attractive and the leather quality is excellent. Mine barely show any creasing.

I pine for a brown pair(s).

I think they're as youthful and sexy as Gucci, Dolce & other designer shoes but better quality.
Assuming you want a black chelsea I would recommend you keep them.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know which sole is associated with Redding and Redding II or whether there should be any association with these different soles but the boots I received has a leather sole on which "Ralph Lauren Made in England" is written.

I see that the very same boots with a leather sole on which only "Polo" is written in a thread at Ask Andy.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...hlight=redding

Could someone confirm which one is Redding and which one is Redding II in respect of different indication on the soles?

Thanks!

Thanks for linking to that thread. A couple of months ago I'd gone nuts looking for it on SF and couldn't find it...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And here are the photos:

Are you sure those aren't made by EG? can we have pictures of the rest of the shoe and the box?

mg428

Reaction score
Grimslade, you are welcome.

As to the additional photos, I don't think that it is necessary because the shoe is exactly the same with this image on RL's website. I am attaching it nonetheless.

If you still want to see more photos, please let me know.

According to what you said regarding the difference between Redding I and Redding II, which is the stitching on the sole, the one I received is Redding I.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see any more photos. That waist looks unlike the redding II and I thought the I had soles stitched aloft. So if you have more pics we can get to the bottom of this. Thanks!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, it's not. The sole is different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads