Rl purple label question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I was looking at this suit from RL Purple Label. I was wondering, don't the lapels seem a bit wierd? It seems cut funny, I don't know. Also, why are there no belt loops? Is that a high-end suit thing? Â Perhaps ones tailor puts the belt loops on later?

2. Alias

Alias Senior member

The lapels have notches that are way, way higher than usual. It's a fashion thing, but it does help if you're short.

The pants have straps on the side that you can tighten to have them stay on. No belt needed.

3. MPS

MPS Senior member

None of my suit trousers have belt loops: they have similar adjustable tabs plus buttons for braces.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The line where lapel and collar meet is called "the gorge". It is one of the few things in a men's suit, designers and tailors can play with. Depending on fashion, the gorge can fluctuate from very high to very low.

5. Alias

Alias Senior member

So that's what it's called.

Lower gorges make the wearer's shoulders look huge, like an ape's. I don't know, but that's just how it impresses upon me; the lower gorges make it look like the jacket's stooping over.

On the other hand, gorges that are too high work to abbreviate the shoulders, compressing them towards a needle point at the neck and head.

That's just how it looks to me. Granted, I'm getting higher gorges on my next suit jacket, but it won't be hugely extreme.