• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Gifford Fit Problem Advice

Ged

Reaction score
Hi guys

I need some advice on the Gifford boot fit. On the basis that they were said to run half size large, I got a US8, I'm usually a US 8-8.5. Out of the box they looked like they would fit quite well in length and would be a little tight in width (I am a US E, these are US D).

However, the main problem is the vamp. I have a high arch and instep, and actually can only just get my foot into the shoe with a lot of pushing and a shoe horn. Once the foot is in, it fits fine in length and is a little tight in width, but would be tolerable, but the vamp is very very tight and almost cuts off blood supply to my foot.

I've included pictures from the original thread. It's as though the stitching that joins the sides of the boot to the vamp is too low...

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Photos courtesy of zippyh

gifford1.jpg

gifford3.jpg

So do I:

a) cut the stitching myself to try to loosen it up (presumably not wise!)
b) try to find a decent cobbler who could cut the stitches and perhaps put in new stitches higher up
c) find a decent cobbler to stretch them (but I've heard cordovan doesn't stretch much, and even if the leather stretches the stitches will still be there)
d) cut my losses and sell them (but I really love them, and it was a big palava to get them all the way to Australia)

Thanks in advance for your help

Ged

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wear an 8.5E and you bought an 8D. They are the wrong size.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ged
d) cut my losses and sell them (but I really love them, and it was a big palava to get them all the way to Australia)

Thanks in advance for your help

Ged

depends on the efforts you want to put into this project + taking the risk of the stretching, can make the shoe unwearable, who has exact size.

i managed once a boot with a very strong and stiff leather(no cordovan). it needs a lot of patience and trust in the material you work with.

dont fiddle around with the lacing and stitching, it will not work.

good luck

Ged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
You wear an 8.5E and you bought an 8D. They are the wrong size.

I am often an 8E and bought an 8D in a shoe which was described as "runs half a size large" (which BTW I agree with the original assessment by Angelicboris), so I don't think it was a totally stupid purchase. The length and the width are fine.

Rather than saying it's the wrong size, I think it's more a case which highlights the simplistic sizing system does not take into account individual foot features like arch and instep, squareness, etc versus the specific last, design and cut of the individual shoe. Which leads of course to the advice "always try before you buy"

This is a problem with buying blind PSAs. The tyranny of distance...

Ged

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ged
Rather than saying it's the wrong size, I think it's more a case which highlights the simplistic sizing system does not take into account individual foot features like arch and instep, squareness, etc versus the specific last, design and cut of the individual shoe. Which leads of course to the advice "always try before you buy"

+1

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cut your losses and sell them.

Cordovan don't stretch much.

Leffot

Reaction score
Ged,

I know well your feet and you do indeed have very high insteps. That said I would advise against cutting the stitches this will likely not resolve the problem and just mess up the boots, leaving you with a pair that doesn't fit and can't be sold.

Imho I find cordovan to be very supple and molds more than stretches to ones foot. Judging by your description these sound quite tight and stretching a vamp is difficult, but it is the least evasive approach.

I suggest you look for a cobbler that has a device to gently stretch the instep. There is a specific devise for this purpose. They look something like this.
http://www.shoestretchers.com/stretchers/instepwood.jpg

Good luck, I hope it works out they're very smart looking boots.

Steven

Ged

Reaction score
Thanks everyone your advice.
I finally found a good cobbler in Brisbane and got these stretched across the instep. They now fit perfectly!
The cobbler is Joe's Shoe Repairs, Eva Street, Coorparoo. He's mentioned somewhere else on the forum too.

Ged

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good outcome. Enjoy the boots!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads