• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL double monk strap opinion~

xoulsinz

Reaction score
Hi guys, It's my first post in the forum but i've been following the forum for a while. I'm looking for a pair of dress shoes mostly for wedding occasions. I've narrowed down to single/double monk straps and these are the one that I'm considering:
_5191158.jpg
3832-278223-d.jpg
6901-446471-p.jpg
I know this question has been brought up probably a million times in the forum but I'm not able to search and see who makes the new RL double monk straps. I'd prefer the shoes to be in black as I only have 2 suits (navy and charcoal Emporio Armani). What do you guys suggest? The only other pair of "dress shoe" that I have is a pair of black Gordon Rush boots that looks very similar to this one: http://www.gordonrush.com/product_va...jpg?1221185604 Should I go with dark brown instead so I can have a little more variety? Thanks so much!

xoulsinz

Reaction score
The boots I have will work for me for funerals and these will be mostly for wedding/business occasions.

xoulsinz

Reaction score
Are you referring to something like these:
1733-231422-p.jpg
or split toes?

xoulsinz

Reaction score
I'm trying to stay away from laced tops (personal preference) if possible....

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xoulsinz
I'm trying to stay away from laced tops (personal preference) if possible....
by laced tops do you mean balmorals or bluchers? bals are the accepted standard for just about anything. monkstraps are not appropriate for many conservative interviews/events. and boots to a funeral? are they military spit-shined?

xoulsinz

Reaction score
I meant both actually. I was hoping that I could get something that will also work with a blazer/jeans. And to be honest being in the IT field I rarely have to goto any of the more conservative events. What if i were to pick 2 pairs? Thanks~

sweisman

Reaction score
As someone that has the Thayer, and Mora, pictured above, I recommend them both for what you are talking about. If you had to choose one, I think the single Monk maybe more versatile, but others here will tell you differently. The best thing about it, is you can probably have both AE models for the same price as the RL Monks, with some online digging. Good luck.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xoulsinz
Hi guys,

It's my first post in the forum but i've been following the forum for a while.

You've been a member since Jan 29/08..............take a little more time.

xoulsinz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978
You've been a member since Jan 29/08..............take a little more time.

I know I know, I actually found the forum after I bought my suits and have been using it as knowledge base. Going back to the subject, if I were to have only 2 pairs of dress shoes, would you pick black/cognac, black/brown or cognac/brown? Thanks for the helpful inputs!

xoulsinz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
As someone that has the Thayer, and Mora, pictured above, I recommend them both for what you are talking about. If you had to choose one, I think the single Monk maybe more versatile, but others here will tell you differently. The best thing about it, is you can probably have both AE models for the same price as the RL Monks, with some online digging. Good luck.

I actually found the RL Monks for about $200 online so they're slightly cheaper than the AE's.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't see these mysterious RL double monks you keep referring to.

You don't seem to really like the advice in this thread, so any of the choices you have shown should be fine. Choose according to personal preference, fit, and budget.

The Allen Edmonds are probably constructed in a sturdier manner than the Gordon Rush but from what you describe it doesn't sound like you would ever wear out either one. They are both fine.

I would prefer to avoid black shoes, but on the other hand I bet you have a bunch of black suits.

xoulsinz

Reaction score
I apologize Tarmac, I should have made it a little more clear. The RL double monk is the 3rd one in picture. Please don't get me wrong though because I do appreciate all the feedback from the thread. I guess my problem is that I'm still trying get a sense of how "fancy" I can get for different occasions. As I mentioned in my first post, I only have 2 suits right now and they're navy and charcoal. If I was to stay away from black, maybe I should consider burgundy/cordovan? Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics