• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Darlton Wingtip Sizing Issue

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there are countless of threads on this forum for the C&J / Ralph Lauren Darlton Wingtip. Some forums ask about sizing, others ask when it will go on sale, etc. However I have yet to see a thread that discussed any sizing discrepancies.

Ever since I joined this forum and saw a picture of the Darlton (Marlow at time) Wingtips, it went right to the top of my lists of shoes to purchase. The good look and the versatility of the shoe make it obvious. The shoe goes great with jeans and other casual wear, but also works very well with suit and formal wear.

I also couldn't help to notice people looking to make this purchase and ask about sizing. About 50% of us say they run 1/2 size large, while the other 50% say they are true to size. I understand it is on the 325 last, but still found these suggestion ambiguous due to varying opinions.

Well to make matters worse, I recently picked up a second pair of the Darlton Wingtip in size 10.5D. My plan was to use my current pair with jeans and keep the new pair in good shape for when I wear it with a suit. One thing stood out to me right away; the difference in the length and width of the two shoes.

Before creating this thread, I wanted to make 100% sure of what I was talking about so I measured both pairs several times multiple times only to come up with the same conclusion: I found the new pair was 1/4" longer in length and 1/4" wider in width. Both pairs are marked 10.5D. The only difference is that the new pair is new from 2009 and says 'Made in Great Britain' on the box and only has Polo listed on the sole while my other pair says 'Made in England' on the box and says 'Ralph Lauren' on the sole. Neither of which should make a difference in the sizing, at least one would think. Perhaps, this could be the reason for the split camp here.

My questions to all of you are:

Has the Darlton Wingtip always been made on the 325 last?

I know its rare for someone to have 2 pairs of the same shoe, but as anyone else noticed this disparity?

Here are some pics I took last night with my phone.

IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes,
Darltons:

Wingtip 325 last
Penny 314 last
Tassel 72 last

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Does the shoe actually fit differently, or is it just a different sized sole?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting, the ones that just say "polo" on the bottom look like an older version. I have seen older polo shoes with this. They could have adjusted the last over time? In any case, I have three pairs of crockett & jones 348 last shoes and they all look and feel a bit different. So it goes.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke

This is a good question. Also, this may be obvious/implied, but you did check the sizing stamped on the shoes to make sure they're in the right box, right?

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke

Yes, there is a pretty noticeable difference. On the new pair, I notice much more room in the toe box and width.

Originally Posted by asdf
This is a good question. Also, this may be obvious/implied, but you did check the sizing stamped on the shoes to make sure they're in the right box, right?

Yes. Both pairs are stamped 10.5D on the interior of the shoe.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what happens when you buy shoes without trying them,so,send them my way. I was late by 2 minutes to get them
laugh.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should be the authority on this, not us.

I don't know anyone who has 2 pairs of these, even though I almost bought a second pair.

The only thing I can say is that I have the RL shell PTBs and they run tighter than my darlton wings, both in the same size.

sf_esq

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I sized down 1/2 size in mine.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
First, I suspect the shoe manufactures don't have six sigma manufacturing processes eliminating variability in their shoe sizes since you know, most people try them on first and it seems there's a lot of natural variability in leathers.

But anyway, I've got a pair of POLO stamped Darltons from 2008. I recently got a pair of boots on the 325 lasts. The new boots do fit noticeably larger than the Darltons although not enough that I'd say they were different sizes. I sized down 1/2 from my usual size for both.

I don't think it's too unusual that pairs of nominally identical shoes would fit slightly if noticeably different. I've experienced it in other brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads