• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Collection

enak

Reaction score
Not menswear, but I was wondering whether the womans "Collection" range suits were fused or canvassed.

TIA.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question of fused v. basted is irrelevant when it comes to women's wear. Women's fashion changes so much that keeping a suit for a few years just doesn't happen. With men, a single suit could look good for nearly 20 years, so it's worth it to go non-fused. I don't think any maker would waste time hand stitching the canvas interlining of a women's suit.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The question of fused v. basted is irrelevant when it comes to women's wear. Women's fashion changes so much that keeping a suit for a few years just doesn't happen. With men, a single suit could look good for nearly 20 years, so it's worth it to go non-fused. I don't think any maker would waste time hand stitching the canvas interlining of a women's suit.
Well, that's not necessarily true, many of the high-end "˜mens' sartorial manufacturers fabricate for women as well and apply the same quality to the women's items as they do the mens, for instance Loro Piana comes to mind.

Jon.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course there are some makers that do hand baste women suits, I had no doubt about that. In this case we were talking about mass manufacturers like RL. However, my point was that there is no real benefit of going that extra mile. Women's wear is about look, not about construction. Women's clothing is almost disposable.

It's like those guys that come on here and say that Dior Homme suits are crap because they are fused. Well, the fact is that the guy who buys a Dior Homme suit isn't someone who is looking for durability and construction, and they certainly aren't wearing the suit three years out. I don't think anyone would wear such a highly stylized suit in the long run. The customer is looking for fashion, which is the anthesis of endurance. The same goes for women's wear.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course there are some makers that do hand baste women suits, I had no doubt about that. In this case we were talking about mass manufacturers like RL. However, my point was that there is no real benefit of going that extra mile. Women's wear is about look, not about construction. Women's clothing is almost disposable.

It's like those guys that come on here and say that Dior Homme suits are crap because they are fused. Well, the fact is that the guy who buys a Dior Homme suit isn't someone who is looking for durability and construction, and they certainly aren't wearing the suit three years out. I don't think anyone would wear such a highly stylized suit in the long run. The customer is looking for fashion, which is the anthesis of endurance. The same goes for women's wear.
I understand your point, but then looking at "˜mass-production' we must come then come to the realization that the same that can said for women's wear is also true of men's, for most of the items produced for men, i.e. jackets are indeed fused and not canvassed. Other than a handful of Italian, one English, and 3 American brands who manufacture RTW canvassed jackets, every other company utilizes fusing.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads