• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL/C&J McCallums from GVH quality question

literasyme

Reaction score
This may be silly, but as this is my first purchase of shoes of this quality (and, incidentally, my first time buying shoes online...), I thought it could hurt to ask.

So: I bought two pairs of C&J made RLs from GVH last week: Tellmans and McCallums, both in 13D. They arrived this morning, seem to fit just fine, and the Tellmans are flawless and very impressive. The McCallums, sadly, less so. For one thing, the leather seems very stiff -- but I assume that's just the Cordovan, and it'll soften over time?

More distressingly, they seem in fairly poor shape for a pair of new shoes. From the condition of the box they were in (torn at all four corners and taped up) and the fact that one of the cloth bags was missing and both boots were laced up, I suppose these were floor models. Whoever was selling them didn't treat them too gently, though. They are fairly badly scuffed on one side, and have two large-ish black discolorations (see the images below).

Is this normal and to be expected? Will those marks just vanish with repeat treatment, or as the shoes age? Or are they permanent? None of them are particularly obtrusive, but they're sufficiently severe that I feel like GVH should have mentioned them in their posting. I realize I paid less than half the retail price, of course, and understand that such bargains have a price of their own. But...

Albert60

Reaction score
I bought that pair and returned them the morning after receiving them. I shipped them back not because of any quality issues but because the style and last(shape) didn't suit my needs.

They were laced up when you received them b/c I tried them on.

They weren't as pristine as some shoes that I've received from GVH but they weren't the worst I've received from them either. There were no major flaws. The scuffs your pics show were what I remembered. I believe those can be polished out.

The leather is stiff b/c its Cordovan. The cordovan was already rippling like they had been tried on before.

There was only 1 dustbag when I received them too.

FWIW I don't think their condition merits an email to GVH.

Of course, if you're unsatisfied you should return them.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That black marks you notice on the shoe is typical for shell cordovan shoes. It happens as part of the tedious and long dyeing process to produce shell (>6 month)

Every pair of GVH shoes I've recived have always come in shabby looking boxes. Return the shoe if you are truly unhappy, but I would not. If the shoes fit you, you have on hand a rare pair of shell cordovan chukka boots in an even rarer brown color.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say if you like them, keep them. After all, you got a good deal on them. Secondly, they will get into that state eventually (and probably pretty shortly) even if they were pristine to begin with.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I don't own pair of shell cordovans, one thing that I do appreciate about brown shoes is the patina they develop over time. I understand from posts here that this evolution of the shoe is something that comes with many shell cordovan shoes. I guess what I'm saying is that I would just keep them and wear them in nicely.
smile.gif

Albert60

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Every pair of GVH shoes I've recived have always come in shabby looking boxes. .

I laughed when I saw how another member put it: " The box looks like it exploded, par for the course for GVH."

The McCallums are big and heavy, I think that contributed to the condition of their box. All 4 corners of the box were completely collapsed when I received them. The corrugated shipping box was keeping the shoes together.

Also, if you haven't owned shell shoes before think about whether you like shell or not. Its wear and appearance is very different from calf leather. I don't dislike it but I'm not enamored with it either.

literasyme

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm not too fond of the feel of shell -- it's a little too thick and almost rubbery for my taste, so I think I will send them back. Like Albert, I found they're not quite what I was looking for right now; and once customs and tax were added, they weren't even that much of a bargain. Now all I have to see is if I can persuade GVH to take them back -- it's not until one reads the fine print of their shipping rules that one discovers that they don't accept returns from international shipments. No such qualification in their returns regulations, of course...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics