1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RL Black Label

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Jan 19, 2005.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Totally fair use, in my opinion.

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I hope that's true, but I'd have to see it to believe it. Hard to imagine Ralph would alienate 96% of his market. He trying to compete with the likes of Balenciaga or Slimane?

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

the whole narrow lapel thing just doesnt do it for me im afraid

4. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I don't know that having an extra line is going to alienate any of his customer base; it's much more likely to give him an inroads to new markets. I doubt there's much actual crossover between those who buy his pony shirts and those who buy RLPL suits--there's no reason for Black Lable (RLBL?) not to do the same thing.

Having not read the GQ article yet, I can only hope that RLBL becomes a younger, more accessible RLPL; and that he is able to saturate the American consciousness with clean cut, high quality suits as effectively as he did the pony shirt. Whether or not you like RL's methods, you can't deny their efficacy.

Tom

5. otis

otis Well-Known Member

CG's suit in North by Northwest was not as slim (and pants were pleated); but the clean line lines and narrow lapels do capture the spirit of it. I definitely see some of Connery's James Bond from Goldfinger or From Russia with Love. My immediate impression was Alfie.

This will not alienate the market for Polo; it will likely be a very small niche of their business which Ralph alludes to in the article. For the past several years they have made several different cuts from the updated American blue labels (which are cut very large), the Savile Row inspired Purple Label, etc. There was a blue label they called the "congressman" a couple of years ago that was very slim w/ plainfront pants, but not as modern looking as these. I don't think these are designed to compete with Slimane either - I doubt the average Dior customer has ever stepped into a Polo store.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

In this week's Telegragh Magazine, the Black Label suit is on the "men's hotlist 2005." They write:

Black Label is the new tailoring line from Ralph Lauren and is exclusive to Europe [really?]. It's dramatic, slimline silhouette and conservative palette of charcoal grey, black and dark navy marks a deprture away from the flamboyant style of the Purple Label and is perhaps the most overtly English of all his collections (from £895; 020 7535 4600)

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

"The most English of all his collections"? Hmmm, maybe they missed the interview in GQ.

8. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

My mailman finally delivered this months GQ. 3 days after many of you, but he did deliver in a blizzard.

If they are really that slim I'll have to add it to the list of brands I can't wear. But I am curious to see it in person.

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the cut of these suits quite a bit. I ordered something similar from Chan on their last visit. (We'll see how it turns out). High gorge, two button, slim arms, flat front, but normal button stance, not low. In these shots, I think Gavin's noggin looks a little out of proportion to the slim lines. This might be caused by the slight wide angle lens used by the photographer. In any case, I dig the look.. as long as it fits your body well... not too snug.

Btw, imo Blur is in another class entirely. Check out "Think Tank".

10. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Narrow shoulder on the suit, big head, big hair, and he's leaning towards the camera...

11. boston

boston Senior member

The BL seems to be European cut (French/Italian, not British). Deep gorge, very slim cut, narrow lapels, narrow shoulders. I will also guess that it's unvented, but the article doesn't say.

(RLPL is canvassed, english cut, with broader sloped shoulders, narrow waist, flared skirt, double vented).

The guy's head is huge because he has a big, wide head, and the narrow cut shoulders accentuate it. He model should wear broader shoulders to bring his head back into scale.

BL is not in the stores yet. I think it's to attrack customer who normally wear italian/french cut suits. The narrowness of the lapels seems exaggerated, so I worry about these suits looking out-of-date in a few year's time.

Ralph has the new "Rugby" line/store concept to attract young people.

-boston

12. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Who made Cary Grant's suit in North by Northwest, by the way?

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Somebody researched this, and concluded that it was a Los Angeles-based tailor named "Quintino," long since out of business.

14. BlvdDandy

BlvdDandy Senior member

I called my local Ralph Lauren store and was informed that Black Label suits would be arriving no sooner than Feb. 15 and no later than the 23rd.

15. Alias

Alias Senior member

I advise people with big heads to avoid this type of cut, or to see if they can't get something with wider shoulders.

That's just too much waist surpression for me. It's trying too hard.

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I really like the look of those suits. Definitely the highlight of the magazine for me. I would totally go for them if they went on sale, since the other designers who make similarly priced slim suits never seem to.