• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Black Label to merge with Purple Label

Quarks

Reaction score

Is there a manufacturers tag? I've seen some recent RLPL SCs made by Cantarelli.

Soz for late reply.. cant find any manufacturers tag.
It would be nice to know.

Last edited:

daddyblitz

Reaction score

Picked up an Anthony Gray Sharkskin suit last month for $539 at Chevy Chase RL store. Quite the amazing deal as they are clearing out the BL stock. Much cheaper to visit or call a store vice shopping online.

If you search the website for "Anthony Sharkskin" it shows both the remaining BL and the new PL Anthony versions side by side. New PL is $2495 retail compared to $1895 for BL. Not sure what the qualitative difference is.
im curious to know what the differences is between the old (BL) Anthony model and new (PL) since price went up,different maker maybe?

Dmanf51

Reaction score
Fabrics and some other minor details like the side tab construction and waistband construction. The new sharkskin is also a lighter color than the previous BL sharkskin.

vida

Reaction score
I don't think the maker has changed. I have a new Anthony purple label blazer and it seems exactly like the old black label. The sales consultant at Bergdorf Goodman said that there have been no changes other than those mentioned above.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$600 is a pretty substantial mark-up without any real qualitative differences. Likely an attempt to lure customers up to full Purple Label much like Sartorio is bit of a fishhook for Kiton .
fing02[1].gif

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have RLBL And it has side tabs so I don't think the increase is much from the cut/pattern but maybe better fabric and branding. The purple material used to make the label is much pricier than generic black. :)

I own RLBL and have seen the new RLPL Anthony and I honestly don't see TOO much of an improvement in fabric. I say inflation and marketing are the primary factors.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$600 is a pretty substantial mark-up without any real qualitative differences. Likely an attempt to lure customers up to full Purple Label much like Sartorio is bit of a fishhook for Kiton .  
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

It's not really a $600 markup; more like a $200 markup (for the only other suit that seems to have carried over completely):

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...54803846&ab=ln_men_cs_suits&parentPage=family

I think the sharkskin must just have upgraded material.

I have RLBL And it has side tabs so I don't think the increase is much from the cut/pattern but maybe better fabric and branding.

The side tab reference was to the positioning and shape of the tabs themselves. The new suits have them a bit lower, off the actual waistband, with wider ends. They're more similar to the rest of the PL line. The new suits also don't come with the sleeve buttons sewn on.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. The basted sleeves are a nice touch and I forgot about them. I need to check out the RLPL tabs again to see the difference.

pwc008

Reaction score
I must say I enjoyed reading through this thread. You all know a lot about RL.

I only have a few Black Label and Purple label items, but I sure enjoy what I have. (One Black Label suit, a few shirts/ties and a Romanian made short, tan Harrington style rain- jacket; Purple label: several trousers & shirts & ties & 1 cashmere sport coat.) Not trying to boast, just want to establish a point of reference.

One question, however, now that Blue Label (or Polo) suits are priced at about the $1,000.00 mark (and some are still made in Italy at that price point), is there any discernible drop in quality in Polo suits from when they cost approx. $1,500.00? I only have 2 "Old" Blue Label suits, one a slim fitting model I bought in NYC at Bloomies in 2007 and the other a nice condition thrifted one I bought in about 2014 here in SF.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Polo tailored items fromSlovakia are half canvassed.

The ones from Italy I believe are now fused.

pwc008

Reaction score
This would help explain why my recently acquired Slovakia-made Polo suit fits so nicely and drapes even better.

mrrich

Reaction score
I am torn in my response. According to the SAs I have talked to, Polo has moved 'down market', even if all prices haven't (witness the cable-knit cashmere sweater going from made in Italy, to Italian yarn but made in China, to full on China disclosure while remaining $398.00).

On the one hand, the cuts of the new Polo suits are much more modern and fit splendidly, a 40R is actually a 40R, instead of being painfully loose and baggy.

That being said, as always, there are some great Polo pieces that are made in Italy (and are a bit pricier, almost close to BL/PL now) and are certainly close to the quality BL and now PL.

As with Ralph Lauren always, you just need to know what you are buying to assure its not utter crap, if you do, you usually get and excellently constructed and unique piece.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand having unfinished sleeve buttons on an OTR suit........in addition to the price increase, you have now incurred the added cost of getting the sleeves finished by default.

Not a good look :censored:

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the Slovakia-made suits still by Corneliani? Didn't think they did any production outside of Italy, so I'm guessing it's an entirely different maker.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually much better to have them unfinished. A decent store includes adjusting the sleeves and adding buttons. eBay purchases of course do not include this. I mentally figure the tailoring into the equation when I buy.

Just took the RLBL sharkskin suit to the tailor. It will be just over $100 total Imthmk after a minor sleeve adjustment as well as the pants. Well worth it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads