• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Black Label suit - have some questions about price and fit

thegreenlight

Reaction score
I found a RL Black Label suit that I really like. However, I have some reservations, and I thought that it would be best for me to check in with SF before I make a decision. Thanks so much!

1. I would probably fit better in a 36S, but the salesman said that these suits don't come in 36S, only 36R or 38S. Should I just buy the 36R and get it shortened, or should I get the 38R and get it taken in? Or, should I just not buy it?

2. It is on sale, but the price is still $834 today-- is this price reasonable? Can I go any lower?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thegreenlight
I found a RL Black Label suit that I really like. However, I have some reservations, and I thought that it would be best for me to check in with SF before I make a decision. Thanks so much!

1. I would probably fit better in a 36S, but the salesman said that these suits don't come in 36S, only 36R or 38S. Should I just buy the 36R and get it shortened, or should I get the 38R and get it taken in? Or, should I just not buy it?

2. It is on sale, but the price is still $834 today-- is this price reasonable? Can I go any lower?

If you wait, you can get BL suits for $550-$650 on SF and on sale in the outlets. Not sure about the 36S issue.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you try it on? These suits are sized small. I am a 42L in just about everything, but a 44L in RLBL. I have never really been given a good explanation as to why. RL calls it "European cut."

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find a local retailer that carries Black Label, go try one on. A few here, myself included, have found that Black Label runs about 1 size smaller compared to just about every other major maker and line. I'm a 42R is just about everything, but for BL I needed a 44R. So, their 38 might fit much more like a 36 in other makers.

Edit: Ha ha, as if we coordinated our attack...

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never understand the notion of sizing up in a slim fit cut such as RL Black Label, at least not in smaller sizes. My opinion, buy the 36R and have the jacket gem shortened. As always, shoulders are the most critical.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
If you can find a local retailer that carries Black Label, go try one on. A few here, myself included, have found that Black Label runs about 1 size smaller compared to just about every other major maker and line. I'm a 42R is just about everything, but for BL I needed a 44R. So, their 38 might fit much more like a 36 in other makers.

Edit: Ha ha, as if we coordinated our attack...

Well done Binge, I guess we are on the same wavelength, not to mention the same size.

Originally Posted by sartort
I've never understand the notion of sizing up in a slim fit cut such as RL Black Label, at least not in smaller sizes. My opinion, buy the 36R and have the jacket gem shortened. As always, shoulders are the most critical.

The notion is that my normal size in BL does not fit - I literally can barely get my arms in and it does not even come close to buttoning. It has never made any sense to me why this is the case, but I just accept it as I really like the BL suits. Now, I have no idea about the smaller sizes, but it makes sense that it would be similar.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Did you try it on? These suits are sized small. I am a 42L in just about everything, but a 44L in RLBL. I have never really been given a good explanation as to why. RL calls it "European cut."
In general, Americans prefer their suits baggier, with the emphasis on comfort rather than structure, silhoutte or style. Americans are definitely a lot more... portly than their European counterparts as well.

While this is neither 'right' nor 'wrong', it is not my cup of tea. IMO, this is (thankfully) changing nowadays. Your having to 'size up' may simply be your preference for baggier suits manifesting itself.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I still don't get it. Isn't the 42 a measurement? Shouldn't it be an absolute like my waist or inseam? The slimmest American-style suits I own are BB Fitzgerald, which fit me quite well in 42L. My BBGF are also 42L, but as you say the jacket is a fuller cut. I have just dismissed this as a quirk of RL. I have never experienced it in any other brand I have owned or tried on.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I still don't get it. Isn't the 42 a measurement? Shouldn't it be an absolute like my waist or inseam? The slimmest American-style suits I own are BB Fitzgerald, which fit me quite well in 42L. My BBGF are also 42L, but as you say the jacket is a fuller cut. I have just dismissed this as a quirk of RL. I have never experienced it in any other brand I have owned or tried on.
Oh it is - it refers to the measurement around your chest.
smile.gif
The difference lies in 1. how much 'additional' space in the chest the manufacturer uses - most 40Rs I have measure ~42" across the chest, but I've seen 40Rs that measure up to 44"(!!!) ...and 2. the construction of the suit. I've had situations before where 2 suits, both measuring identical across the chest when laid flat, somehow felt and looked very different in the chest area on me!
bounce2.gif

greyinla

Reaction score
It's a good price, but not for a suit that doesn't fit. How tall are you?

In some cases suits can be shortened successfully, but they can also end up looking like a suit that has been shortened, out of balance with the pockets too low. Also, regulars aren't just longer in the skirt, the pockets, chest, button stance, sleeve length will also be longer or lower.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i actually sized down in black label because i felt the shoulder measurements were better suited to me in a 36, then a 38.

I'm typically a 38 in Polo, but the shoulders are smaller then the BL 36.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Skinny, that is kinda odd.

For the most part I'm with satort on this and don't see why people size down in slim fitting coats as the size is all in the shoulders. a 38 in most makes fits me fine in the shoulers but big through the body, so I get it taken in, a 38 in a RLBL fits perfect in the shoulders and the body, so no need for a tailor for the coat. thats the only difference.

canisestinvia

Reaction score
I actually own a RLBL in 36S. It was just a stroke of luck that it appeared online (and on sale in fact). The problem is that size is so rare that it gets bought up as soon as the new seasonal stuff comes. So it's rare that you'll find it laying around when sales roll around. With that said, have the salesman do a central search next time instead of just going off of their own "knowledge" of merchandise. Regarding fit, I bought black label suits: a black 36r and charcoal 36s. I laid it one on top of the other and the length of the regular is 7/8th inch longer. I do prefer the short (I'm 5'7"), but I'll say that the extra length doesn't hurt too much. Let us see a fit pic if you do decide on it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, but I still don't get it. Isn't the 42 a measurement? Shouldn't it be an absolute like my waist or inseam?

These are all issues of cut and style and the fact that RTW is always going to be a compromise between fit on you & the designer's intentions (and various other non-thread-relevant issues).

Different makers envisage people wearing their items in different ways and cut the garments differently. Depending on your build and tastes, you might have to size up or size down on certain items from certain makers. Just a fact of life because of the compromises inherent in buying RTW, esp. the more "stylised" the designer is.

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Isn't also a matter of how slim the waist of the suit is. I wear a 40R in everything and my Black Label 40R fits me just like the model on the website. Basically, there's more to consider about the suit than just chest measurement given, especially when the suit is advertised as a narrow/slim cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads